Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Weatherby unveils the Mark V Carbonmark rifle

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Rifles

Pages: 1
Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
Weatherby unveils the Mark V Carbonmark rifle
      #310805 - 22/01/18 10:39 AM

https://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/2018/1/19/weatherby-unveils-the-mark-v-carbonmark-rifle/

Weatherby teamed up with Proof Research to create its first rifle with carbon-fiber barrel technology. By combining its 9-lug magnum action with a precise, carbon-fiber barrel, Weatherby made its dream a reality.

“When looking to partner with suppliers in the outdoor industry, Proof Research was the obvious choice." said Adam Weatherby. "They are unrivaled in carbon-fiber barrel making and we truly believe that the Mark V action, paired with a Proof Research barrel, will deliver the superior performance our customers demand.”

The aerospace-grade carbon fiber in the Mark V CarbonMark barrel has a specific strength up to 30 times stronger than stainless steel, and a specific stiffness up to seven times stiffer. It makes the barrel up to 64 percent lighter than traditional steel barrels of the same contour. Carbon-fiber technology also improves heat dissipation for cooler, more consistent performance; reduced point-of-impact shift during high-volume fire; and diminished harmonic barrel vibration. The 26” #4 contour carbon-fiber barrel has a cut-rifled, hand-lapped 416R grade stainless steel core with a flush thread cap and 5/8-24 muzzle threads for easy suppressor installation. It’s finished in tactical grey Cerakote and chambered in .257 Wby. Mag, 6.5-300 Wby. Mag. and .300 Wby. Mag.

Like other Weatherby Mark Vs, the CarbonMark comes standard with an LXX trigger for a crisp, precise pull that’s critical for long-range accuracy. It also has a fluted bolt body, integral recoil lug and a 54-degree bolt lift for fast, smooth cycling.

The stock ensures a seamless union between rifle and shooter with its raised-comb Monte Carlo design, right-side palm swell and Pachmayr Decelerator recoil pad. For light weight and a perfect marriage with the Proof Research barrel, the stock has an aluminum bedding block and is crafted from hand-laminated composites. The matte gel-coat finish provides stealth on every hunting adventure.

Additionally, the rifle carries Weatherby’s sub-MOA accuracy guarantee that promises .99” or less 3-shot groups at 100 yards when used with Weatherby factory or premium ammunition. “With the craftsmanship and legacy of Weatherby, combined with technical advancements of Proof Research barrels, the CarbonMark redefines the modern-day hunting rifle.,” Kelly Streiff, director of sales and marketing at Proof Research. MSRP: $4,100

For more information visit weatherby.com

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Wayne59
.400 member

Reged: 20/06/15
Loc: Lagrange Ga. USA
Re: Weatherby unveils the Mark V Carbonmark rifle [Re: Ripp]
      #310809 - 22/01/18 01:13 PM

To rich for my blood.

Rule303
.416 member

Reged: 05/07/09
Loc: Woodford Qld
      #310814 - 22/01/18 03:45 PM

Very strong action and very accurate but not for me.

Ripp
.577 member

Re: Weatherby unveils the Mark V Carbonmark rifle [Re: Rule303]
      #310823 - 22/01/18 11:31 PM

Quote:

I for one hate their action but applaud them for teaming up with a great barrel company..Proof is first rate..one of the most accurate barrels I have ever used in a hunting rifle..

As to price..for what it is, IMHO, its overpriced...you could built your own with a Defiance action, Proof barrel and McMillan stock, custom trigger and have a grand left in you wallet..and guarantee it would be a better performer in many ways... again, IMHO...

Ripp

--------------------

Homer
.416 member

Reged: 07/04/09
Loc: Canberra, Australia
      #310851 - 23/01/18 07:52 AM

Quote:

Quote:

I for one hate their action but applaud them for teaming up with a great barrel company..Proof is first rate..one of the most accurate barrels I have ever used in a hunting rifle..

As to price..for what it is, IMHO, its overpriced...you could built your own with a Defiance action, Proof barrel and McMillan stock, custom trigger and have a grand left in you wallet..and guarantee it would be a better performer in many ways... again, IMHO...

Ripp

Ditto Ripp.

Homer

--------------------
"Beware the Lolly Pop of Mediocrity,
Lick it Once and You Will Suck Forever"

Ripp
.577 member

Re: Weatherby unveils the Mark V Carbonmark rifle [Re: Homer]
      #311122 - 27/01/18 12:03 AM

https://www.americanhunter.org/articles/2018/1/25/new-for-2018-weatherby-mark-v-carbonmark/

--------------------

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
      #311144 - 27/01/18 06:11 AM

$4,100 - not bloody likely. I can get a brand new V.C. O/U 9.3x74R for $1,000 less than that.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

szihn
.400 member

Reged: 24/06/07
Loc: Wind River Valley, Wyoming
Re: Weatherby unveils the Mark V Carbonmark rifle [Re: DarylS]
      #311155 - 27/01/18 09:05 AM

I agree. It's a cool $900 to $1000 rifle they want $4100 for.

PT Barnum said "it morally wrong to allow a fool to keep his money"

I thing Weatherby is following that credo. Let's hope they have problems finding very many fools.

Postman
.375 member

Reged: 25/09/13
Loc: Canada
Re: Weatherby unveils the Mark V Carbonmark rifle [Re: szihn]
      #311186 - 28/01/18 12:14 AM

I like the action. I despise their trigger. And a $600 carbon wrapped barrel does not a $4500 rifle make.

Pound for pound, the carbon barrels have been shown to be stiffer than an equivalent weight steel barrel, BUT:

A 2 pound carbon barrel is WAY BIGGER in diameter than a 2 pound steel barrel. A carbon barrel in the same diameter as a steel barrel has a great deal more flex than the equivalent diameter steel barrel, but obviously equivalent diameter means the weight factor favors the carbon barrel.

Flex in a barrel is NOT conducive to accuracy. Weatherby marketing seems to have this covered off by some creative wordsmithing on their accuracy guarantee.......

Edited by Postman (28/01/18 09:59 AM)

Ripp
.577 member

Re: Weatherby unveils the Mark V Carbonmark rifle [Re: Postman]
      #311194 - 28/01/18 04:32 AM

The Carbon barrels are used a ton in long-distance competitive shooting especially the Proof barrels..in both bolt action and AR platforms. Based on that, I believe Proof has a few things figured out as well..

I personally have had or currently have 4 from various manufacturers..IMHO, PROOF is the best of the best, all shoot extremely tight groups..

Ripp

--------------------

Edited by Ripp (28/01/18 11:16 PM)

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 32 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2687

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com