Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: New WJ Jeffery Boxlock .450/400

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifle Photos & Archive

Pages: 1
NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
New WJ Jeffery Boxlock .450/400
      #310737 - 21/01/18 02:56 AM

From the original DR discussion thread:
http://forums.nitroexpress.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=284197&page=0&fpart=1&vc=1

Just to answer a couple of the questions asked and give you a bit of background info.

The stock dimensions on this rifle are Length of pull measured from between the triggers is 14 3/4" plus a 1/2" recoil pad.It has been made this long as currently it doesn't have an owner and from this it can be lengthened or shortened to suit most people.Bend at front of comb 1 3/4" off the sights.Bend at the back is 2 1/4".Cast off 1/8" at the top of the stock and 3/16" at the toe.The length of the grip from between the triggers is 4 1/8".It comes up really nicely and will shoot where pointed.

As far as the snap underlever rifles are concerned I would love to make some.I picked up a very rare 450/400 underlever not to long ago to use as a pattern and have a couple of 600's at my disposal to also use as patterns if needed.As with all these things it down to demand.These kind of rifles are expensive to make so to do a small run of say 3,I would have to have some confirmed orders first.At the moment there will only be 3 of these top lever rifles and then we'll see how we go.I am also building a copy of the Fletcher Jaimeson .500 bolt acton rifle.This has been ongoing for a long time but hopefully I will be able to get on with it again soon.It has a Golmatic Magnum Mauser action with a cut rifled 5 groove barrel by Arthur Smith.

Briefly,I have worked as a Gunmaker for almost 37 years now,starting with a 5 year apprenticeship in the machine shop at Holland and Holland.I was taught to action by a ex Boss actioner and spent about 4 years working with him.I won't bore you with all the details but I've also done work for Purdey's,Hartmann and Weiss,Churchills,Dickson's,I spent 12 years working for Peter Nelson,I recently spent 1 1/2 years in Westley Richards helping with their production and training the lads and now I do most of my work for Boss and Co making shotguns.To say I have some experience of best quality guns would be an understatement.

The Jeffery project was something I felt would be a nice thing to do.As already said,these rifles are the best hunting rifles you can get.I would love this to be a roaring success and only build Jeffery rifles and shotguns for the rest of my days,so hopefully once this rifle is finished it will generate the interest to keep W.J.Jeffery in production,making the great firearms it should have been making all along.

Many thanks

Mark

For information about this rifle or WJ Jeffery rifles, pricing and ordering, contact Mark Mitchell at markmitchell178@gmail.com . Or ask via these forums - member name "Pugwash".

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: New WJ Jeffery Boxlock .450/400 [Re: NitroX]
      #310738 - 21/01/18 02:58 AM

Build photos.

New Jeffery rifle back from stocking.

Its a 450/400 based on an original Leonard built rifle very similar to the Jim Corbett one.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

93x64mm
.416 member

Reged: 07/12/11
Loc: Nth QLD Australia
Re: New WJ Jeffery Boxlock .450/400 [Re: NitroX]
      #310756 - 21/01/18 09:47 AM

WOW!
Wonderful piece of kit that's for sure, thanks for keeping the build photos too John - might take your mind off the heat down your way!

tarbe
.224 member

Reged: 29/10/13
Loc: Texas
Re: New WJ Jeffery Boxlock .450/400 [Re: 93x64mm]
      #317485 - 24/06/18 06:59 AM

Absolutely stunning rifle.

The proportions are perfect and the wood is beautiful.

What is the argument for having the rear sling stud so close to the pistol grip? Such a well-executed rifle...I am certain there is a purpose for this placement.

It is just so different from what I am used to seeing, I wonder if someone can educate me regarding the reason?

Thanks for the pics...

Tim

sharps4590
.300 member

Reged: 09/03/16
Loc: Missouri Ozarks
Re: New WJ Jeffery Boxlock .450/400 [Re: tarbe]
      #317493 - 24/06/18 09:17 PM

Stunning is understatement.

--------------------
Jesus said, "I am the way the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father but through me." John14:6

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: New WJ Jeffery Boxlock .450/400 [Re: sharps4590]
      #317499 - 25/06/18 12:44 AM

Gorgeous.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

Pugwash
.300 member

Reged: 24/03/07
Loc: Scotland,UK
Re: New WJ Jeffery Boxlock .450/400 [Re: DarylS]
      #317510 - 25/06/18 05:09 AM

Hello all

To answer Tim's question about the sling loop,when I made the rifle I tried to keep it as close as possible to a rifle made around 1910.You can't improve much on these original rifles.The rifle had the sling loop in that position so there didn't seem much point in moving it.It works fine there.If you have a look on the internet for Jim Corbett's Jeffery Rifle you will see that the rear sling loop on that rifle is in a similar position.

Many thanks for all the kind comments about the rifle.It's great to see that all the hard work is appreciated.

Mark

Edited by Pugwash (25/06/18 05:25 AM)

CptCurlAdministrator
.450 member

Reged: 01/05/04
Loc: Fincastle, Botetourt County, V...
Re: New WJ Jeffery Boxlock .450/400 [Re: Pugwash]
      #317539 - 26/06/18 09:01 PM

Quote:

Hello all

To answer Tim's question about the sling loop,when I made the rifle I tried to keep it as close as possible to a rifle made around 1910.You can't improve much on these original rifles.The rifle had the sling loop in that position so there didn't seem much point in moving it.It works fine there.If you have a look on the internet for Jim Corbett's Jeffery Rifle you will see that the rear sling loop on that rifle is in a similar position.

Many thanks for all the kind comments about the rifle.It's great to see that all the hard work is appreciated.

Mark

I like the position of the sling loop, and the fact that it matches the position of an original is a great reason to put it there.

What a fantastic build!

Curl

--------------------
RoscoeStephenson.com

YOUR DOUBLE RIFLE IS YOUR BEST FRIEND.

tarbe
.224 member

Reged: 29/10/13
Loc: Texas
Re: New WJ Jeffery Boxlock .450/400 [Re: CptCurl]
      #317588 - 28/06/18 02:00 PM

Thank you for the explanation Mark.

Tim

FrankFarmer
.300 member

Reged: 06/08/06
Loc: Florida USA.
Re: New WJ Jeffery Boxlock .450/400 [Re: Pugwash]
      #317742 - 04/07/18 07:13 AM

Beautiful rifle! We look forward to seeing more of your products, good fortune in your quest to rejuvenate the Jeffrey banner.

Edited by FrankFarmer (04/07/18 07:15 AM)

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 16 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 5735

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com