Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Pic of the Day - Africa

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Africa & hunting dangerous game

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | >> (show all)
Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
Re: Pic of the Day - Africa [Re: Cazadero]
      #252804 - 27/08/14 10:51 PM

Quote:

Thanks for that--took me back ...nothing quite like it..

Ripp

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Cazadero
.375 member

Reged: 17/10/11
Loc: Texas
Re: Pic of the Day - Africa [Re: Ripp]
      #252838 - 28/08/14 11:31 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Thanks for that--took me back ...nothing quite like it..

Ripp

Your welcome,

When I look at a picture like this I automatically hear the sound inside my head.

larcher
.416 member

Reged: 11/01/05
Loc: Saverne, Alsace, France
Re: Pic of the Day - Africa [Re: Cazadero]
      #252914 - 30/08/14 01:05 AM

still 57 days and I'll be there!

--------------------
"I don't want to create an encyclopedic atmosphere here when we might be having a beer instead" P H Capstick in "Safari the last adventure."

lancaster
.470 member

Reged: 06/05/08
Loc: There's a lighthouse in the mi...
Re: Pic of the Day - Africa [Re: larcher]
      #257100 - 23/11/14 02:19 PM

ethiopia

what do think about the teeth? could only be hippo

Edited by NitroX (26/07/15 09:22 PM)

ozhunter
.400 member

Reged: 18/08/04
Loc: Sydney, Australia
Re: Pic of the Day - Africa [Re: lancaster]
      #257126 - 24/11/14 11:59 AM

I would say Warthog.
Daunting looking fellows, hey.

Ripp
.577 member

Re: Pic of the Day - Africa [Re: ozhunter]
      #257140 - 25/11/14 12:57 AM

Quote:

I would say Warthog.
Daunting looking fellows, hey.

Would say Warthog as well..
Daunting indeed..

--------------------

lancaster
.470 member

#259629 - 29/01/15 05:54 PM

http://www.az.com.na/natur-umwelt/wilderei-f-rdert-l-ndliche-armut.422767

--------------------
Norwegian hunter misses moose, shoots man on toilet
bringing civilisation to the barbarians

lancaster
.470 member

#262887 - 29/03/15 01:42 AM

http://www.ouvalalgerie.com/news/183-Des...%A9rienne!.html

article about the resistance of local population against "hunting tourist" from VAE and Quatar who killing gazelles just for fun and without brain in south algeria

--------------------

Edited by lancaster (29/03/15 01:42 AM)

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
      #268576 - 26/07/15 09:16 PM

I can smell the cool early morning dust and the hear the lowing of the buffalo herd. Their shuffling hooves ...

Photo by Alex McDonald of McDonald Safaris.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: Pic of the Day - Africa [Re: NitroX]
      #268596 - 27/07/15 03:07 AM

Ahhhh - nice shot!

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

larcher
.416 member

Reged: 11/01/05
Loc: Saverne, Alsace, France
Re: Pic of the Day - Africa [Re: DarylS]
      #268599 - 27/07/15 04:33 AM

Once again, because of You, a violent envy to hunt Africa again. Actually once You try Africa, You're f*ucked, no end dreaming of Africa. Africa hunting is a serious disease, Africa as well. Thanks a lot for sharing.

--------------------
"I don't want to create an encyclopedic atmosphere here when we might be having a beer instead" P H Capstick in "Safari the last adventure."

lancaster
.470 member

#284946 - 07/07/16 10:55 PM

see also this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_rsuGp_tas

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-...es-behinds.html

I've got eyes in the back of my herd: British scientist stops lions hunting cattle in Botswana by painting faces on their behinds so the predators think they've been spotted

He believes lions are less likely to attack if they think they've been 'seen'
Dr Neil Jordan is trying to stop farmers killing lions in retaliation attacks
He draws eyes on the back of cows to 'intimidate' the big cats
He hopes the method can be used by local farmers to save their cattle

By Sarah Dean For Mailonline

Published: 15:16 GMT, 5 July 2016 | Updated: 18:24 GMT, 5 July 2016

A British scientist has begun painting intimidating eye-patterns onto cows' behinds in a creative bid to stop lions from hunting them.

Dr Neil Jordan believes if he can stop African lions killing farmers' cattle, then farmers will stop killing the endangered lions.

'Farmers currently have very few effective tools to prevent this devastating lion-livestock conflict. Unfortunately shooting or poisoning predators is not only used as a last resort, farmers often feel it is their only resort,' Dr Jordan said.

The conservation biologist, who works with the University of New South Wales and Taronga Zoo in Sydney, is trialling his theory in the Okavango Delta in Botswana.

Dr Neil Jordan is testing a theory that drawing eyes on cows' behinds will stop lions attacking them

The idea is to trick the big cats into thinking they have been seen by drawing eyes on the back of the cows, so that they do not attack.

He has labelled the ingenious idea 'i-cow' and hopes it will provide local farmers with a low-cost and non-lethal tool to reduce livestock losses without having to kill lions.

In a video posted online, Dr Jordan explained that he is 'testing the hypothesis that painting intimidating eye patches on to cows reduces predation'.

The idea is to trick the big cats into thinking they have been seen by drawing eyes on the back of the cows

Local farmers have been known to kill lions in retaliation attacks after their cows have been killed

Dr Jordan hopes the method will provide local farmers with a low-cost and non-lethal tool to reduce livestock losses without having to kill lions

'Lions are supreme ambush predators, they rely on stealth. When seen they lose this element of surprise and abandon their hunt,' he said.

The scientist has already carried out a small 3-month sample test of his theory, which gave promising results.

'While 3 out of 39 unpainted cows were killed by lions, none of the 23 painted cows from the same herd were killed,' he said

Dr Jordan is now fundraising to be able to buy more of the equipment needed to carry out further tests.

African lion populations are in decline throughout most of the continent.

'In 1975 there was an estimated 250,000 lions in Africa, yet today the continent wide population stands at a mere 25 – 30,000 individuals.

'This staggering 80-90 per cent decline combines with the fragmentation and isolation of those remaining sub-populations with little long-term viability,' World Lion Day reports.

--------------------

lancaster
.470 member

#292355 - 20/12/16 09:57 PM

some pics from the vintage air rally 2016 http://www.vintageairrally.com/

"Following in the footsteps of the pioneering flights in the 1920s – we’ll connect some of the most beautiful and evocative points in Africa. Flying low along the Nile from Cairo to Khartoum, past the highlands of Ethiopia before the plains of Kenya and the home of African aviation in Nairobi. Then off again past Kilimanjaro into the Serengeti – and on to the spice island of Zanzibar. After a short pause to enjoy the Indian ocean, we continue, crossing Zambia to Victoria Falls, before continuing to Bulawayo in Zimbabwe. Our final days take us into, and across, stunning South Africa – to the Cape, journey’s end."

--------------------

Ripp
.577 member

#292358 - 21/12/16 01:32 AM

Absolutely incredible pics---thanks so much for posting...

Ripp

--------------------

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
      #292364 - 21/12/16 03:48 AM

Absolutely ! Beautiful pictures.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

lonewulf
.300 member

Reged: 06/08/12
Loc: South-East Otago, New Zealand
Re: Pic of the Day - Africa [Re: DarylS]
      #292371 - 21/12/16 07:28 AM

Wow ... tigers in Africa. Whoda thunk it.

Rule303
.416 member

Reged: 05/07/09
Loc: Woodford Qld
      #292400 - 21/12/16 09:44 PM

I would give my eye teeth to have flown one of the Tigers on that trip.

Excellent photo's. Lancaster, thanks for posting those.

ozhunter
.400 member

Reged: 18/08/04
Loc: Sydney, Australia
Re: Pic of the Day - Africa [Re: Rule303]
      #292435 - 22/12/16 11:01 PM

Love the biplanes !

bwanabobftw
.375 member

Reged: 29/12/04
Loc: Texas
Re: Pic of the Day - Africa [Re: ozhunter]
      #292982 - 01/01/17 11:17 PM

WOW !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That is beautiful. Thanks so much for posting it.
Robert

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#292983 - 01/01/17 11:27 PM

Wunderbar Graf von Lancaster!

I have a secret love of WW1 era planes and bi-planes. How wonderful to fly in an open cockpit with the wind in one's face, and nothing but the horizon and the great expanse below. Have never flown in an open cockpit, but have felt the wind more than a few times standing on the wheel strut.

Infact regarding WW1 era planes I sourced more than a few dozen images to share sometime in the future only last week.

But these modern day African flying circus expedition photos, Wunderbar!

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Sarg
.400 member

Reged: 20/01/07
Loc: Nil
Re: Pic of the Day - Africa [Re: NitroX]
      #293010 - 02/01/17 09:54 AM

Awesome photos, great planes & views !

I flew over the Masi Mara in Kenya last year in a Bloon a couple of times , it was fantasic, then one morning in a Gyrocopter we flew over the Mara & Serengeti, super amazing going up to the high country where the Bloons can't go saw all the big 5 & some monster buffalo & truly huge Eastern impala !

lancaster
.470 member

#294215 - 24/01/17 04:55 AM

"17 January 2017
Antelope revived in Sahara years after going extinct in the wild

Scimitar-horned oryx in Chad

By Alice Klein

They’re back. Scimitar-horned oryx have been reintroduced to the wild after a two-decade absence and are flourishing in their old stomping grounds.

The desert antelopes were once widespread across northern Africa, but were hunted to extinction in their natural habitat in the 1990s.

Since then, the species has been kept alive in captivity in the United Arab Emirates, the US, Europe and Australia. Several hundred have also been reintroduced to fenced areas in northern Africa.

To test whether scimitar-horned oryx could survive in the wild once again, 23 individuals were released into a remote part of Chad last August. Based on early signs of success, another 23 will be released this week.

The animals have been fitted with GPS collars to monitor their movements. “So far, the animals look exceptionally healthy,” says Jared Stabach from the Smithsonian’s National Zoo and Conservation Biology Institute in Washington DC, who is involved in the project. “They seem to be adapting to the environment really well.”
First baby in the wild

Some of the released oryx were pregnant and, in September, the first calf was born in the wild since the species went extinct. “He seems very lively and healthy, so that’s encouraging,” says Stabach.

The next test will be whether females that became pregnant after release will produce healthy offspring, he says. “We’re expecting some births in the next month or two.”

The oryx were reintroduced in the Ouadi Rimé-Ouadi Achim reserve, an expansive of unfenced wilderness in central Chad, which used to be the species’ stronghold.

A group of about 40 to 50 of the antelopes were taken from this area in the 1960s. Most oryx alive today are thought to be descended from these animals.
Fewer threats

Although the newly released oryx all come from this small population, their genetic diversity has risen because separate captive populations were kept around the world. This has allowed them to genetically drift apart from one another.

Reintroducing oryx to the wild is less challenging than doing so with many other animals, says Carolyn Hogg at the University of Sydney, Australia. One reason is that they eat grass, so they don’t need to be taught how to hunt for food. Another reason is that their natural predators – lions and cheetahs – have gone extinct in the area.

Hunting by humans is also not a problem so far, says Stabach. “There’s a lot of excitement in the local community about this animal being returned. They want to protect it.”

“Conservation scientists are all giving big thumbs up and cheering over this,” says Hogg. “Animals are often bred in captivity in zoos with the view of releasing them back into the wild, but then there are always lots of challenges. It’s pretty amazing to know that you can put them back.”

Article amended on 19 January 2017 "
https://www.newscientist.com/article/211...ct-in-the-wild/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ouadi_Rim%C3%A9-Ouadi_Achim_Faunal_Reserve

--------------------

xausa
.400 member

Reged: 07/03/07
Loc: Tennessee, USA
      #294244 - 25/01/17 01:40 AM

Isn't that Tiger Moth the ultimate design of the de Havilland "Moth" series, beginning with the Gipsy Moth, in which Denys Finch Hatton met his untimely end?

lancaster
.470 member

Re: Pic of the Day - Africa [Re: xausa]
      #310296 - 12/01/18 06:04 AM

Snow is falling in the Sahara desert for the third time in 40 years
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/...26.html#gallery

"Snow has fallen in the Sahara, covering desert dunes in a layer up to 40cm deep.

Snow started falling on the Algerian town of Ain Sefra in the early hours of Sunday morning, giving children an opportunity to race each other down the slopes. Rising temperatures meant it began to melt later in the day.

It is the third time in nearly 40 years the town, known as “The Gateway to the Desert”, has seen snowfall.
In 1979, a snowstorm lasting half an hour stopped traffic. Two years ago, snow settled for around a day, and the town saw snowfall again last year.
Sahara snow
Snow in the Sahara is “unusual but not unheard of”, a spokeswoman for the Met Office told The Independent

“It seems like the snowy pictures were taken across the higher areas in the north of the region, towards the Atlas regions, so it’s not surprising that the area would see some snow if the conditions were right.

“With the setup over Europe at the moment, which has given us cold weather over the weekend, a push southwards of cold air into that region and some sort of moisture would bring that snow.”

Ain Sefra, which was founded in 1881 as a French garrison town, sees average high temperatures of over 37C in summer and has seen record lows of -10.2C in winter.

"

--------------------

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#310336 - 12/01/18 07:13 PM

Interesting.

Quote:

It is the third time in nearly 40 years the town, known as “The Gateway to the Desert”, has seen snowfall.
In 1979, a snowstorm lasting half an hour stopped traffic. Two years ago, snow settled for around a day, and the town saw snowfall again last year.
Sahara snow
Snow in the Sahara is “unusual but not unheard of”, a spokeswoman for the Met Office told The Independent

“It seems like the snowy pictures were taken across the higher areas in the north of the region, towards the Atlas regions, so it’s not surprising that the area would see some snow if the conditions were right.

I was surprised years ago when reading about extreme cold and snow in Tunisia as well.

Shows weather varies all over the place for all sorts of natural reasons. And snow in mountains is not uncommon.

Here we never have snow, but there has been three or four "snow" falls I can remember. Usually more ice or hail collections than snow. From a distance looks like snow. Perhaps snow melting on the way down? Lasts a few minutes to half an hour. Time for a camera. Missed seeing the last one, which supposedly was the best with good photos.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 37 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 136604

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com