Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: AYA #2

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Shotguns

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
HeymSR20
.300 member

Reged: 23/11/11
Loc: Scotland
Re: AYA #2 [Re: Rule303]
      #306240 - 11/10/17 11:37 PM

The AyA No2 is a really good sidelock shotgun for not a lot of money secondhand (at least this side of the Atlantic).

AyA's are good guns all round. My Father bought a No 3 - the boxlock non ejector in the early 1960's - it has seen countless adventures right across Africa and then when we came back in the UK. Its still tight. I have an AyA Coral over and under that I bought 2nd hand in the late 1980's - it dates from the 1950's. It's a bit loose now when opened, but locks tight as a vault and I can't miss with it.

I also have an old Yeoman - this was the basic model and inside is a bit rough, but it still shoots well.

AyA's took over where the British gunmakers left off. They are built in the British style, and indeed what is now ASI actually took several British guns across to them in the Basque country to effectively copy. They were and still are pretty much made in the traditional way from forgings which are then fitted by hand - the lower grades by the apprentices, the higher grades by the masters.

I think the early ones were better built - there was a time in the late 1980's early 1990's when they were trying to churn them out. They now have moved to the top end of the market and built on a much more limited basis, with Boxlocks starting at c £4,000.

There is a lot of variation within models, as you could order them with a quite a number of different styles and features. They were also different for different markets.

Fundamentally though if it checks out and has not been messed with, they are good solid and nice handling guns for not big money. But like all side by sides, make sure it fits well and factor in the cost having it fitted to you into the price. If it doesn't fit, a side by side is much less tolerant than an over and under.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: AYA #2 [Re: HeymSR20]
      #306294 - 12/10/17 10:44 PM

AyA's used to be popular in Australian gun magazine articles in the 1970's and 1980's and usually looked to be fine and usuable side by sides for very good prices. Nowadays when one is seen for sale, they are not so cheap.

I managed to acquire an Azhur side by side with detachable sidelocks for a very good price, probably $800 from memory, in the early 1980's. So managed to realise that dream.

I would buy a nice AyA for the right price if one came up and my wallet had enough notes in it ...

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

.375 member

Reged: 15/02/11
Loc: NT Australia
Re: AYA #2 [Re: NitroX]
      #306336 - 13/10/17 08:19 AM

Used guns has a #1 for sale at the moment. Cheers Mick

Calibre/Item: 12G
Make: AyA
Model: No 1
Action: Side by side
Barrel Length: 28 inch
Serial No: 160301612
Choke: 5
Condition: Excellent
Price: $8000Price Reduced
Advertised: 7/08/2017
Licence number: 47332620B
Comment: Made in 2012, AYA No 1 sidelock action with colour case hardened finish, intricate engraving over action. Fired under 1 packet of shells at claybirds, with leather case, can deliver to any gunshop in Melbourne
Transfering dealer: Buyers nominee in Vic

Westley375
.300 member

Reged: 18/04/06
Loc: Montana USA
Re: AYA #2 [Re: HeymSR20]
      #309481 - 25/12/17 03:35 PM

Ripp- Sorry to tell you but one of the AyA 16s from Cabelas is now in my safe (From Sidney Store) I have AyAs in 410 28 20 16 and a pair of Number 1s in 12 gauge I love them all shoot them alot and found them a great value and reliable.

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: AYA #2 [Re: Westley375]
      #309488 - 26/12/17 04:11 AM

A had an AYA SxS - cheap one, 10 bore Matador - reworked the chokes then developed good loads in shortened cases, 3" instead of 3 1/2" for it - 2oz. #2's instead of 2 1/4 ounces. It maintained within 1% when using finer, #5 shot for ducks.

It shot 94% right barrel, 96% right, was hell on geese to about 75 to 80 yards and too murderous to use for ducks - 184 pellet shits on a mallard superposed over the pattern. With 2oz. # 8 1/1", was terrific for shooting cripples on the water - only head and neck penetrations - and multiple of ten of those. Shake the duck or goose and the fine shot would fall out of the feathers.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 9 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 21797

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com