Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: An A-Square - 338 A-Square Mag Cal - An Awesome Story

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Rifles

Pages: 1
buckstix
.400 member

Reged: 07/11/12
Loc: Whitetail Country
An A-Square - 338 A-Square Mag Cal - An Awesome Story
      #309085 - 17/12/17 07:47 AM

An A-Square - 338 A-Square Mag Cal - An Awesome Story

One of the Forum members asked me to share this story here also.

Although I always considered A-Square rifles to be "Big Bores" regardless of the caliber, this one is a .338 A-Square Magnum caliber, so I guess its actually a Medium Bore.

The 338 A-Square Magnum is based on a 378 Weatherby Magnum case (460 Wby Mag case) necked down to .338 with a conventional neck and shoulder - with no radius.

I chased this rifle for over 2 months. It was originally listed in the first week of October, on my Birthday. It appeared in my Guns International Search list at a West Coast Cabelas. I called that Gun Library immediately - just "seconds" after I got the email, only to be told that the rifle had been sold the night before, and that it was being shipped to a Mid-West Cabelas store. I could have cried. I really wanted that rifle and it for a Birthday present - from myself, to myself.

And then ..... 2 months later the same rifle appeared again on my Guns International search. It was at the Mid-West Cabelas Store. Amd, once again I called immediately - and said "I want it" - "please ship it to the Cabelas store here in Wisconsin." (that sore is 45 minutes North of where I live) Apparently the guy that had it shipped from the West Coast store, to the Mid-West store, never picked up the rifle, and it was again relisted for sale. So there, it was finally mine. Very seldom in life do you get a second bite at the apple.

Well, a week later I got a call that the rifle had arrived here in Wisconsin. But, wouldn't you know it, on this particular day we were having our first snow storm of the season, a real Blizzard. Instead of a 45 minute drive, it took me 2 hours of white-knuckle driving to get to the Wisconsin Cabelas store. But, I wanted it, so I made the trek.

When I got there, I told them my name and that I had been called and told that my rifle had arrived. While they were getting the rifle from the Gun Vault, I start filling out the 4473 form on their computer. As I finished, they showed up with a box that seemed much too small for a large A-Square rifle with a scope. When I inquired about the scope, the guy says; "there's no scope with this rifle." I replied; "there better be a 3.5-10x Leupold, because that's what the description said." Upon opening the box, not only was there NO scope, but out of the box comes a Weatherby Vanguard in 300 WBY MAG caliber. I explained that this was the "wrong" rifle and gave him the Cabelas "code-number" of the rifle that I ordered from the Mid-West Cabelas store. The guy looks up the number on his computer, and tells me "that" rifle is at a South-East Cabelas store and it was listed as "sale pending".

I can't go into detail about the comments that were exchanged upon hearing that, but you can imagine how displeased I was, especially after the 2 hour Snow Storm drive. Not to mention that I was now facing another 2 hour adventure to get back home, without my rifle. Well, after about 1-1/2 hours of telephone calls between the Wisconsin Store, and the Mid-West Store, and the South-East store, I was finally promised that a mistake had been made and that "MY" rifle would be shipped to Wisconsin the next day. ..... so I left. It actually took me 2-1/2 hours to get home that evening because the Snow Storm had become more severe into the evening.

And, two days later, I find that the rifle was in fact shipped the next day to Wisconsin, via "Next Day Express". I remained uneasy during my 45 minute drive, and only settled down when I finally got the rifle in my hands, exactly 2 months and one week after its original discovery. Its not too often you get an opportunity to buy an absolutely "MINT" A-Square rifle, with a great Scope attached, for a real good price. Even if it takes 2 months and one week to get it. Only a Gun Collector will understand this. And now it turns out to be a Christmas present from myself, to myself.

Some people think that A-Square rifles are not very stylistic. In fact some think they are "Butt Ugly", but I really like them. I now have 3 of them in my collection. And this one has the most awesome Tiger-Stripe Walnut Stock that the pictures below can't begin to show.

--------------------
"You never pay too much for something, you only buy it too early."

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
93x64mm
.416 member

Reged: 07/12/11
Loc: Nth QLD Australia
Re: An A-Square - 338 A-Square Mag Cal - An Awesome Story [Re: buckstix]
      #309087 - 17/12/17 08:06 AM

Looks like its based on an Enfield action P14 or M17?
Will certainly have a flat shooter there Buckstix, better take a set of earplugs & earmuff as well; with a muzzle brake you'll need both!
Nice to know you got 'your' rifle in the end, as to being butt ugly well no; not from me - beauty is in the eye of the beholder!

Rule303
.416 member

Reged: 05/07/09
Loc: Woodford Qld
Re: An A-Square - 338 A-Square Mag Cal - An Awesome Story [Re: 93x64mm]
      #309089 - 17/12/17 08:40 AM

Quote:

Looks like its based on an Enfield action P14 or M17?
Will certainly have a flat shooter there Buckstix, better take a set of earplugs & earmuff as well; with a muzzle brake you'll need both!
Nice to know you got 'your' rifle in the end, as to being butt ugly well no; not from me - beauty is in the eye of the beholder!

That or the Remington 30 which as you know is a factory sportorized P14/M17

Very nice pick up and i certainly like the look of them.

buckstix
.400 member

Re: An A-Square - 338 A-Square Mag Cal - An Awesome Story [Re: Rule303]
      #309092 - 17/12/17 09:15 AM

Hello Rule303, 93x64mm

Thanks for the reply.

A-Square Hannibal rifles were built on the Enfield Action, but I'm not sure if the P-14 or the M-17. I also don't think these are Ugly, but some on the other forums do.

I took it out to the range today to give it a test run and to see how she shoots.

Reloading was a bit of a challenge. No dies or brass available anywhere in the entire country. Custom dies would be over a year wait. So, I purchased 20 rounds of new Weatherby 338-378 brass along with a set of RCBS reloading dies for the 338-378 WBY. I had to shorten the sizing die, and recut the inside belt clearance. Although they didn't have a set of reloading dies for the 338 A-Square Mag, C-4 did have a set of Form Dies, so I purchased the 338 A-Square Mag #4 Form die from them. The #4 is the last step in reducing 460 Wby Mag down to .338 but the neck isn't totally reduced so that's where the .338-378 dies come in.

Between the Form Die and the modified Sizing die, I was able to load 20 cartridges. They still had remanants of the radius shoulder and neck, but those would both go-away when fired. I was very consevative in my loading because no data exists for the 160g bullet. I started with 100g of IMR 4831 and will increase in increments of 2 grains to find the max loads. I'm thinking I should be able to get close to 3700 fps with this bullet.

Here's the results. (all 20 cases formed nicely into the rifle's chamber)

--------------------

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
      #309095 - 17/12/17 10:18 AM

Well done, buckstix - well on the way. Looks like it wants to shoot, even with mild loads of slow powder, which is nice.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

DarylS
.700 member

Re: An A-Square - 338 A-Square Mag Cal - An Awesome Story [Re: DarylS]
      #309098 - 17/12/17 10:34 AM

If the cases formed nicely with only 100gr., I suspect your maximum might be in the 105 or 107gr. range. The current load is likely generating in the 50,000psi range, medium low pressure range to fully fill out the shoulder.

That case likely has a 65,000psi max. av. pressure for a working load, in my opinion.

Your velocity estimate is likely within 100fps of true.

--------------------
Daryl

Rule303
.416 member

Reged: 05/07/09
Loc: Woodford Qld
      #309101 - 17/12/17 02:49 PM

Buckstix that rifle is a keeper.

buckstix
.400 member

Re: An A-Square - 338 A-Square Mag Cal - An Awesome Story [Re: Rule303]
      #309104 - 17/12/17 04:20 PM

Hello to all and thanks for the reply.

I would be curious if anyone else saw this rifle in the Cabelas system over the last 10 weeks or so.

Lets please hear from you.

--------------------

buckstix
.400 member

#309118 - 18/12/17 04:27 AM

Hello,

Back from the range today. I'm very happy with the results. Upped the powder charge to 105 grains of IMR 4831 with the same 160g Barnes bullet.

Take a look at the individual readings.

1- 3531 fps
2- 3527 fps
3- 3527 fps
4- 3554 fps
5- 3527 fps

3533 fps ave = 3550 fps corrected to muzzle
11 fps sd

3 of the 5 readings were the same and the standard deviation was 11 fps. Primers were flat but no signs of excessive pressure.

Looks like my prediction of 3700 fps may be attainable.

3-1/2" high at 100 yds = 4-1/2" low at 400 yds
4500 ft/lbs energy at the muzzle with 2050 ft/lbs remaining at 400 yds

I forgot to mention, the muzzle brake on this rifle really works. Recoil is about the same as 308 win.

--------------------

DarylS
.700 member

#309139 - 18/12/17 11:39 AM

Those velocities are amazingly close. Pressures must be close to max.

The size of that case should be much more efficient with a heavier bullet.

I would not be surprised to see 185's hit almost the same speed at 165's, and 200 not too far behind. Different powders might have to be used, though.

I suspect a steady progression in efficiency all the way to 300gr.RN's.

Too, the fpe should also increase, showing that efficiency advantage.

--------------------
Daryl

buckstix
.400 member

Re: An A-Square - 338 A-Square Mag Cal - An Awesome Story [Re: DarylS]
      #309189 - 19/12/17 10:41 PM

Hello Dary_S,

Thanks for the reply.

I'm going to stick with the 160g and see how fast I can get it to go because increasing bullet weight by 12%, would result in increased felt recoil by 17%.

--------------------

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 20 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2551

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com