Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Steyr Mannlicher opinions?

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Mannlicher Discussion forum & Archive

Pages: 1
JDL
.300 member

Reged: 25/12/10
Loc: Louisiana
Steyr Mannlicher opinions?
      #308947 - 13/12/17 10:35 AM

What is the consensus of the quality of the Steyr Mannlicher as opposed to the Mannlicher-Schoenauer? I have one of each, a MCA Shoenauer(1965) and a Steyr Luxus(1978) and both are very smooth with both locking the bolt from an open condition while depressing the trigger and lowering the muzzle. I like the fact that both are controlled round feed actions. I really like the spool magazine of the M-S as opposed to the steel single column 3 shot mag of the Luxus. On the other hand, I really like the short bolt throw and the ease of reaching the bolt handle of the Luxus. I'm finding it hard to make up my mind on these two totally different systems.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Rothhammer1
.400 member

Reged: 06/01/17
Loc: The Redwoods of California
Re: Steyr Mannlicher opinions? [Re: JDL]
      #308954 - 13/12/17 05:18 PM

Quote:

What is the consensus of the quality of the Steyr Mannlicher as opposed to the Mannlicher-Schoenauer? I have one of each, a MCA Shoenauer(1965) and a Steyr Luxus(1978)

To increase the quandary, how about adding a pre WW2 Mannlicher Schoenauer to the mix? The MS 1903, 1905, 1908, 1910 and 1924 'Sequoia' made prior to the 1938 Anschluss are reputed to have actions far smoother than those of later manufacture.

I have never handled a post WW2 or Anschluss Mannlicher, so I cannot attest to the difference, but I can tell you that my 'prewar' M1910 Takedown lives up to the reputation of Mannlicher Schoenauer as being possibly the smoothest action ever on a production firearm.

With rifle held level, bolt open and trigger pulled, if the muzzle is lowered (even gradually) the bolt will close and lock itself as if skating on melted butter. The Schoenauer magazine is flawless in its operation, provided it is fed cartridges of the proper profile.

Also, the later editions did not have the slot for loading by 'stripper clip'. On the 'prewar' models, loading the Schoenauer magazine takes one smooth push of one's thumb after placing a loaded 'stripper' in the groove. Simple, fast, efficient.

casper50
.400 member

Reged: 18/10/07
Loc: Alaska
Re: Steyr Mannlicher opinions? [Re: Rothhammer1]
      #308955 - 13/12/17 06:13 PM

I now own 4 pre war MS and have owned 5 others that have now gone to new owners. I also have not handled a post war MS. But, the pre war ones have by far the smoothest action I've ever used.

JDL
.300 member

Re: Steyr Mannlicher opinions? [Re: casper50]
      #308961 - 14/12/17 01:32 AM

I left the pre war out of the mix because I feel as you do as to their quality of smoothness and handling which nothing else duplicates. I had a 1908 for a while that had a Lyman #36 receiver sight and can testify about it's smooth operation and wonderful handling characteristics. I have wondered if, without a scope, would the newer ones handle as well? I haven't tried taking the scopes off because their high stock combs make aiming impossible for me.
I suppose I'm just pining for a pre war model and have my eye on a 1905. The only fly in the ointment is finding everything needed to load some ammo for it. If I acquire it, I will not be a dummy and sell it like I did the 1908!

lancaster
.470 member

Reged: 06/05/08
Loc: There's a lighthouse in the mi...
      #308969 - 14/12/17 04:55 AM

common joke about the steyr factory is that they bring out a new model after the other when the Mannlicher Schoenauer going out of production ..
anything was worse than the one before but miraculously they dont lost their customers

stay with the MS, avoid plastic

--------------------
Norwegian hunter misses moose, shoots man on toilet
bringing civilisation to the barbarians

Rothhammer1
.400 member

#308977 - 14/12/17 03:49 PM

Quote:

I have wondered if, without a scope, would the newer ones handle as well?

I find that my M1910 Takedown handles equally well with or without its original Gerard scope in place. The manual sights are readily visible through the scope mounts when it's on, though the claw mount makes it a breeze to remove scope and rings as a unit as desired.

Mine is not a stutzen, however, and I have not drawn it from a saddle scabbard.

It also sports one of these, an original factory 'cost option':

The M1910, sans scope, held by ol' Grand Dad (John F. Easton, center) after taking leopard.

--------------------
Citizen of the Cherokee Nation

Rothhammer1
.400 member

#308978 - 14/12/17 04:22 PM

Quote:

have my eye on a 1905. The only fly in the ointment is finding everything needed to load some ammo for it.

Quality Cartridge (Qual-Cart) has new, properly headstamped brass.

Here's a link to their 'site:
QualCart

I have some of their 9.5X57. Haven't loaded it yet, but it looks good and the measurements are proper.

Dies shouldn't be hard to find (My 9.5X57 are RCBS). Member Sharps4590 should be able to guide you to some projectiles, powder recommendations, and data as I believe he loads for the 1905.

He'd also be able to advise as to brass selection if you wish to reform from another caliber.

For the 9.5, I have had success with .35 Whelen.

JDL
.300 member

Re: Steyr Mannlicher opinions? [Re: Rothhammer1]
      #308985 - 15/12/17 01:58 AM

Love that photo of the leopard! Thanks for the heads up on Quality Cartridge.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 16 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 4892

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com