Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: What a wonderful time to live

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Rifles

Pages: 1
Joshua
.300 member

Reged: 01/03/16
Loc: north carolina, usa
What a wonderful time to live
      #307565 - 10/11/17 04:00 PM

Ladies and genlemen, I believe we live in the perfect time for our sport. Many of the rifles we all enjoy are still very useable, and most are affordable. In a hundred years who knows what the day may hold, but as it sits right now we have access to a plethora of firearms and so much useful info that goes with them. Many of the firearms that draw our attention are old, but man how much do we enjoy them.
We have gotten so lucky with the brass and bullet makers to offer so much of what has been a shortage many years ago. There were few options, not that many years ago,that were available and through the persistence of the public who love the sport gradually got us to where we are now. I this has brought new life into what was essentially a paper weight, or the pain staking task of locating a case to form from and the labor involved to bring our passion to fruition.
This may be just my opinion, but Ido believe that through the bleakness of what we see in many aspects of our life, we are mighty lucky to be where we are

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: What a wonderful time to live [Re: Joshua]
      #307584 - 10/11/17 09:58 PM

Myself, I would rather hanve simpler and less toys ie rifles and firearms, but far more animals and wild places to hunt. Imagine living in the days when it was possible to make a fortune in white gold, ie ivory. Or die or be eaten in the process.

BUT even if it looks like things were cheaper back then, often it was far harder to afford. For the common man. Unless a major commitment, like leaving home potentially for ever was made.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Levallois
.300 member

Reged: 27/11/03
Loc: Arizona, USA
Re: What a wonderful time to live [Re: NitroX]
      #307592 - 11/11/17 01:03 AM

"It ain't like it used to be but it'll do"

Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
Re: What a wonderful time to live [Re: Joshua]
      #307593 - 11/11/17 01:13 AM

Quote:

Ladies and genlemen, I believe we live in the perfect time for our sport. Many of the rifles we all enjoy are still very useable, and most are affordable. In a hundred years who knows what the day may hold, but as it sits right now we have access to a plethora of firearms and so much useful info that goes with them. Many of the firearms that draw our attention are old, but man how much do we enjoy them.
We have gotten so lucky with the brass and bullet makers to offer so much of what has been a shortage many years ago. There were few options, not that many years ago,that were available and through the persistence of the public who love the sport gradually got us to where we are now. I this has brought new life into what was essentially a paper weight, or the pain staking task of locating a case to form from and the labor involved to bring our passion to fruition.
This may be just my opinion, but I do believe that through the bleakness of what we see in many aspects of our life, we are mighty lucky to be where we are

I agree with you...we are truly blessed to be where we are ..especially looking at the state of the world as we speak..yet we can still hunt, fish, and shoot pretty much any weapon we want..when we want...

As to the days of old for hunting..yes and no..while it all sounds glamorous and exciting, think we have no idea of the bs those guys went through on a day to day basis..As to game, the herds here in the US regarding big game are increasing yearly..think my home state right now has the largest amount of elk in it for the past 100 plus years..deer are very plentiful again, actually above the 3 yr plan of sustainability along with Pronghorn...

And travel..I can have breakfast with my family and within 24hrs later be headed into hunting camp in Kyrgyzstan hunting ibex...not possible back in the old days...

Nope, I agree with the above..we are living in "high cotton". We should enjoy them as I fear this too will not last forever...

Ripp

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: What a wonderful time to live [Re: Ripp]
      #307597 - 11/11/17 01:36 AM

Mmmmmm, 25 lbers tusks compared to 100 plus lbers.

Snoobabs running the country instead of pukka English and arrogant Frenchies and Belgians.

Shooting from a bakkie, instead of foot safaris.

Seven day hunts instead of short 2 month safaris.

Armed poachers armed with AK47s instead of black savage cannibals armed with poison darts and spears.

Aeroplanes instead of steam ships.

Knowing exactly where all the high fence lines are compared to having no idea what is over the hill or horizon.

Just making fun. And having fun.

Advantages and disadvantages to both times.

However I KNOW which one I would prefer and it is not a 24 hour hop to a short hunt, carrying a sat phone so clients are never out of touch and then home to the office! I'd rather have truly wild places, than manicured fenced paddocks, where the PH knows exactly what game are available and where, but of course does not tell the client. To me having the last .125 Shewolf Airpowered Rifle 15 (see an AR15 ) semi auto, with 75mm tuped 5-50x scope with range finder, self aiming, auto trigger deployment, capable of shooting dik diks at 1000 metres with a .125 95 grain super bullet, is irrelevant. I'd rather shoot them with an old .22 Hornet at 25 yards. And on a mixed bag safari quota including several elephant, rhino, lion, leopard, and masses of "free" included plains game. Oh for those days.

I still probably COULD shoot a dik dik with a .22 Hornet at 25 yards given the opportunity and a bag load of cash.

Different strokes. Different times.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
Re: What a wonderful time to live [Re: NitroX]
      #307600 - 11/11/17 02:41 AM

Quote:

Mmmmmm, 25 lbers tusks compared to 100 plus lbers.

Snoobabs running the country instead of pukka English and arrogant Frenchies and Belgians.

Shooting from a bakkie, instead of foot safaris.

Seven day hunts instead of short 2 month safaris.

Armed poachers armed with AK47s instead of black savage cannibals armed with poison darts and spears.

Aeroplanes instead of steam ships.

Knowing exactly where all the high fence lines are compared to having no idea what is over the hill or horizon.

Just making fun. And having fun.

Advantages and disadvantages to both times.

However I KNOW which one I would prefer and it is not a 24 hour hop to a short hunt, carrying a sat phone so clients are never out of touch and then home to the office! I'd rather have truly wild places, than manicured fenced paddocks, where the PH knows exactly what game are available and where, but of course does not tell the client. To me having the last .125 Shewolf Airpowered Rifle 15 (see an AR15 ) semi auto, with 75mm tuped 5-50x scope with range finder, self aiming, auto trigger deployment, capable of shooting dik diks at 1000 metres with a .125 95 grain super bullet, is irrelevant. I'd rather shoot them with an old .22 Hornet at 25 yards. And on a mixed bag safari quota including several elephant, rhino, lion, leopard, and masses of "free" included plains game. Oh for those days.

I still probably COULD shoot a dik dik with a .22 Hornet at 25 yards given the opportunity and a bag load of cash.

Different strokes. Different times.

I see you points and do agree with most...however the circumstances you mention are not my experiences in Africa..have never gone hunting for one week, hell it takes you 2-3 days just to get there, at least into camp Typically I go for a minimum 20 days when headed to Africa..if I get done early, do sightseeing or whatever. .I don't hunt SA high fenced areas as well--tried that once, each to their own, but not for me....Zim and Cameroon are the only areas I have hunted (5) ..no high fences there..

The mixed bag hunt you described, while perhaps not to that extent, I feel I had as close of a hunt to that I will ever have in MY life on my 50th B-day..took a lion, leopard, elephant, hippo, croc, eland, bushbuck, hyena, zebra along with lots of game for baits..one of the best hunts of my life actually...all in Zim...

I do get your point.. the days you describe will never be again, way, way too many people..and yes would be nice to experience that..but again, for me, I'll take today..I get to experience little slices of that all over the world vs one continent..

Good news is, one can always dream...

Ripp

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

Edited by Ripp (11/11/17 03:22 AM)

Huvius
.416 member

Reged: 04/11/07
Loc: Colorado
Re: What a wonderful time to live [Re: Ripp]
      #307608 - 11/11/17 03:15 AM

I'm taking the OP as a comment on the variety and availability of classic firearms more so than on the modern ability to jet set around the world on hunts.
And I agree 100%!
If I wish, I can choose to hunt big game with a bow, a 160 year old muzzle loader, a 135 year old black powder Express rifle, an early 20th century nitro Express or any modern rifle. What a selection!
Modern NfB loading techniques have breathed new life into owning and using 19th century cartridge rifles and many of these great rifles are finding their way out of the cabinet and into the field. Not only that but black powder cartridge and muzzle loading competition is enjoying a renaissance as well.
I see people getting into black powder wing shooting now too which you would have never seen ten or fifteen years ago.

--------------------
He who lives in the past is doomed to enjoy it.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 15 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 1738

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com