Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Parker VH

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Building Double Rifles & Gunsmithing

Pages: 1
lkydvl
.224 member

Reged: 01/09/14
Loc: United States
Parker VH
      #306738 - 24/10/17 06:45 AM

Hello,

I have a Parker VH 12 ga. that came to me with the original nitro bbls. cut off very short. I have replaced them with a set of original damascus bbls. I have the original stub set and was wondering it the VH is suitable for converting to a double rifle.

If so what caliber would be suitable? I enjoy black powder cartridges so something in that vein would be perfect if suitable.

THanks for your considered expertise,

Andre`

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
lkydvl
.224 member

Reged: 01/09/14
Loc: United States
Re: Parker VH [Re: lkydvl]
      #306743 - 24/10/17 11:22 AM

Plenty of views but no responses...am I way off base?

Wayne59
.400 member

Reged: 20/06/15
Loc: Lagrange Ga. USA
Re: Parker VH [Re: lkydvl]
      #306744 - 24/10/17 11:40 AM

Parker's only have a single bite. I would not make a double out of it.

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: Parker VH [Re: Wayne59]
      #306749 - 24/10/17 12:16 PM

I think you'd be fine with low pressure gun, like a 16 or 14 bore rifle with slow twist tubes for round balls.

You might contact Ed Rayle and/or Bobby Hoyte as these people may have suggestions for liners and/or barrels.

Ed makes the barrels, any bore, groove diameter and twist you want.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

crshelton
.333 member

Reged: 10/11/15
Loc: Republic of Texas
Re: Parker VH [Re: DarylS]
      #306781 - 25/10/17 10:59 AM

A gunmaker friend made a couple of nice 450/400 double rifles with Parker reproduction in-the-white actions and both saw service in Africa. His personal rifle was loaned to a few clients and one of them paid an obscene price for it because of handling and accuracy and because he could kill things with it.
I do not remember any discussions of the number of bites.

--------------------
CRS,NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/

Wayne59
.400 member

Re: Parker VH [Re: crshelton]
      #306787 - 25/10/17 12:49 PM

Reproduction actions are made out of modern steel.JMHO but I still would not build a double off a Parker action especially a Nitro Cartridge.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
      #306809 - 26/10/17 05:19 AM

No idea of the Parker VH, but building double rifles out of shotguns is rife with issues. Pick only suitable shotguns, there are reasons why double rifles cost a lot more than double shotguns. Also be aware that some of these shotgun into rifle conversions that are "wonderful" are sold and re-sold again and again sometimes for reasons. I know of one or two which seem to have had four or more owners over say a ten to fifteen year period.

An Aussie gunmaer made a few out of Greener Empire shotguns. I spoke to him about getting him to do it for me. He said, one, it will cost just as much as buying a rifle anyway, and secondly, wouldn't do it again for liability reasons.

Its not worth it to "cut costs", buy the real thing.

Of course some gunmakers on here do it for themselves, having the skills and abilities themselves to decide what is suitab;e, and how to do it.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

crshelton
.333 member

Re: Parker VH [Re: NitroX]
      #306931 - 28/10/17 11:12 AM

"Of course some gunmakers on here do it for themselves,"

Indeed! And that was the only way that I was able to get the .405 WCF double rifle that I wanted!

Now that it is regulated to the ammo I use, I love it!

--------------------

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
      #306946 - 28/10/17 05:51 PM

Quote:

"Of course some gunmakers on here do it for themselves,"

Indeed! And that was the only way that I was able to get the .405 WCF double rifle that I wanted!

Now that it is regulated to the ammo I use, I love it!

Very true. And we have seen some very nice creations by members here.

I think my main point, is hiring a gunmaker to make a double rifle out of a shotgun because it might cost less is not the best route. Buy a decent 'cheaper' brand double rifle and it will be a much more secure purchase. However some want to do it differently. It must be cool to shoot and hunt with a DR of one's own creation. Use the best components starting with the donor action.

One of the 'conversions' I am thinking of, wasn't actually a shotgun. It was a .450 No2 NE made out of a .45/70 Pedersoli DR. Photos of it look very fine, and it has hammers Looks great. But why has it has seemingly a half dozen owners in twice that many years? Proibably under weight (?), and maybe regulation issues. Many of the guys on here could re-regulate it, assuming the barrels can be separated easy enough (?).

Cool rifle in the photo. Must be fun to use it.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Wayne59
.400 member

Re: Parker VH [Re: NitroX]
      #306967 - 29/10/17 08:29 AM

That conversion was done on a decent action. I see nothing wrong with it as long as preasure is kept at decent levels. What cartridge is it chambered for.

Wayne59
.400 member

#306968 - 29/10/17 08:30 AM

Sorry I see the cambering now.

DeweyVicknair
.275 member

Reged: 29/12/14
Loc: Lititz, PA United States
      #307161 - 02/11/17 02:14 PM

I'm going to side with NitroX here. Making a rifle out of a shotgun is an all around bad idea unless the "rifle" cartridge is a slug or ball operating at the same pressures as the original caliber. Shotgun frames are not in the same universe as rifles when it comes to action flat and sidewall thickness and the strength that comes with it. The number of bites is irrelevant. The popular idea that a "third bite" is absolutely necessary is nonsense for two reasons. The first is that you shouldn't be converting a shotgun in the first place and the second is that those third bites rarely are fitted properly to make any contact at all when in battery. This is especially true of the cheap Spanish designs that seem to be so popular with the conversion crowd. The fact that they are recommended in a certain book is not a reason to use them or any of the other dodgy methods recommended therein. A little knowledge can be a dangerous thing. I'm sure that no end of people will chime in about how they did it and it works great. I'm sure that they do, right up until they don't. I've seen the results of the hubris of some "eyeball engineers". Leave the engineering to engineers or be willing to educate yourself about all of the areas that apply to your intended project. I'm willing to bet that if some of you guys knew a fraction of what you currently don't know, you'd be scared shitless of your creations.

--------------------
Only elephants need ivory.

Freedom of speech is worthless without freedom of thought.

Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: Parker VH [Re: DeweyVicknair]
      #307165 - 02/11/17 05:11 PM

THAT'S an eye opener!

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

Shotgunlover
.224 member

Reged: 24/08/13
Loc: Greece
Re: Parker VH [Re: DarylS]
      #307183 - 03/11/17 02:28 AM

That last sentence in Dewey Vicknair's post is for the quotation books! Priceless!

--------------------
Shotgunlover

4al2
.224 member

Reged: 27/09/11
Loc: delaware usa
Re: Parker VH [Re: Shotgunlover]
      #307197 - 03/11/17 10:23 PM

So let me ask this .I been trying to get a set of rifled 12Ga. barrels on a 12ga. Russian made double
action,now is this a safe setup?The problem is i have been told don't put a lot of money in this project because it will be build around a cheap action..can i get some feedback?I have look at an Italian company doing one for me,but the only problem is they will only do it on a over and under action.And if anyone know me i am an sxs person for now or even for life.

crshelton
.333 member

Re: Parker VH [Re: 4al2]
      #307224 - 04/11/17 11:13 AM

Nitrox,
Thanks for compliment on my .405 double rifle.
It is fun shooting Hornady factory 300 grain ammo or my 300 and 400 grain hand loads using N133.
Birdhunter50 made it and did a nice job on this rifle and as recommended, I keep the pressure down.
My 400 grain loads at 2050 generate less chamber pressure that the Hornady factory 300 grain ammo and my 300 grain hand loads even less than that.
After Arron Little regulated it with Hornady factory ammo, it shoots a four shot 50 yard group into an inch square:

--------------------

MagnumHunter
.275 member

Reged: 06/07/04
Loc: North Carolina, USA
      #310171 - 09/01/18 02:13 PM

It would be fine for something like a 45-70 or 38-55. I am reminded of an old Sears & Roebuck catalog (maybe a reprint) that had liners that slipped into the barrels and were fastened at the muzzle with a knurled nut. I think EAA made some a few years back. They were supposed to be acceptable for any single or double at the time so I am guessing the guns could take it. But...probably a lot fewer lawyers in 1906 also. Pressure is the key. I wouldn't go nitro express on one.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 8 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 5838

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com