Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Best TSA-OK DR travel case?

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Miscellaneous Topics >> Sporting equipment

Pages: 1
pamtnman
.275 member

Reged: 26/10/16
Loc: PA USA
Best TSA-OK DR travel case?
      #303969 - 12/08/17 02:30 AM

If you have an opinion about the best TSA-compliant hard travel case for a double rifle, either assembled or disassembled, I would like to hear it. Going on a long trip abroad with an old, valuable double rifle that I do not want to see damaged. Additionally, does anyone else have experience traveling with paper patch bullets? How do you store them to protect them?
Thanks much!

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
Re: Best TSA-OK DR travel case? [Re: pamtnman]
      #303991 - 12/08/17 11:31 PM

I have a few suggestions that you may already be aware of. So if I am being redundant I apologize..

First I would make sure that double is "SCHEDULED" on you homeowners insurance policy for its full value. And get something in "WRITING" from your agent stating it is covered anywhere in the world. Get a copy of the endorsement and read it for yourself.

As to cased I have been using Boyt and Pelican..both have worked very well for me...back in the day on my first trip to Africa I had a stainless Cabelas cased that held the rifle vertically..worked very well as also..have never had a damaged firearm in any of my travels..they have gone missed for a period of time, but never damaged..another option is a case similar to what my Blaser come in..guessing you could customize the foam to specifically fit your firearm.

Ripp

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

rglenz
.300 member

Reged: 14/03/08
Loc: w. Minn
Re: Best TSA-OK DR travel case? [Re: Ripp]
      #303992 - 12/08/17 11:42 PM

I use a Tuffpac that I modified to use a padlock.

pamtnman
.275 member

Re: Best TSA-OK DR travel case? [Re: rglenz]
      #304110 - 16/08/17 01:15 PM

Thanks, guys, at this point the TuffPak is the way I am leaning.

Ripp
.577 member

#304119 - 16/08/17 10:52 PM

Quote:

Thanks, guys, at this point the TuffPak is the way I am leaning.

I see people using those quite often in my travels..think you would be happy with one of those as well..

Ripp

--------------------

bwanabobftw
.375 member

Reged: 29/12/04
Loc: Texas
      #304396 - 23/08/17 10:25 AM

You might look at the Americase ? I've used one for years and it's made numerous trips to Africa with no problem.
Robert

Postman
.375 member

Reged: 25/09/13
Loc: Canada
Re: Best TSA-OK DR travel case? [Re: bwanabobftw]
      #304398 - 23/08/17 11:36 AM

I used an SKB 2 rifle case to take a .500 double and a bolt .375 overseas. It came with TSA locks but I got two lengths of heavy chain and two pad locks and put a locked chain tightly around each end of the outside of the case. Then I got some duct tape and taped the chain to the case so it wouldn't rattle or catch on things. It worked extremely well during it's journey of 8 different plane rides - 4 each way......

Now I've moved to a pelican for my next overseas jaunt but haven't had opportunity to try it on any long journeys yet.

The SKB case is what I currently use to haul expensive guns back and forth to the range in the back of the pickup. I'm none too gentle and am not above throwing the case roughly over the tailgate and my beautiful rifles don't feel a thing!!

Edited by Postman (23/08/17 11:38 AM)

CHAPUISARMES
.416 member

Reged: 16/01/08
Loc: DUBBO, NSW, AUSTRALIA
Re: Best TSA-OK DR travel case? [Re: Postman]
      #304449 - 24/08/17 08:55 AM

Quote.: Now I've moved to a pelican for my next overseas jaunt but haven't had opportunity to try it on any long journeys yet.

I have had and used a Pelican Case for the last 15 years to Africa and the N.T. and have nothing but praise for the Pelican case.

pamtnman
.275 member

Re: Best TSA-OK DR travel case? [Re: CHAPUISARMES]
      #306872 - 27/10/17 02:13 PM

The TuffPak performed perfectly. The original TSA-compliant lock had to be removed and replaced with an $8.00 padlockable thumb-cam lock, which required some Dremel work around the lock area. The rifle was inside one stiff leather and wool case, then nested inside a robust soft case, which had a sizable wad of foam in the bottom. My clothes surrounded it, the Pelican ammo case contained 40 rounds and fit perfectly on top, and the whole thing closed up tight and very secure. It took a beating on the round trip but the gun came out fine. You will pay extra to use this, as it exceeds the usual 62 inches for checked luggage, and the contents will probably exceed the 50 pound mark, too. But I wouldn't want to use anything else. Thing I liked about it was it doesn't look like a gun case. People asked and I said "golf clubs."

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
      #306884 - 27/10/17 08:42 PM

Quote:

The TuffPak performed perfectly. The original TSA-compliant lock had to be removed and replaced with an $8.00 padlockable thumb-cam lock, which required some Dremel work around the lock area. The rifle was inside one stiff leather and wool case, then nested inside a robust soft case, which had a sizable wad of foam in the bottom. My clothes surrounded it, the Pelican ammo case contained 40 rounds and fit perfectly on top, and the whole thing closed up tight and very secure. It took a beating on the round trip but the gun came out fine. You will pay extra to use this, as it exceeds the usual 62 inches for checked luggage, and the contents will probably exceed the 50 pound mark, too. But I wouldn't want to use anything else. Thing I liked about it was it doesn't look like a gun case. People asked and I said "golf clubs."

Would be interested to see how the Tuffpaks are modified to take padlocks.

BTW while your method may have worked for your trip, was it inspected at any point? This method does not separate the ammo from the same case or bag carrying the firearms and so will NOT be legal under international flight regulations and the requirements of a lot of airlines. The ammo has to go in a separate bag or case from the firearm.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: Best TSA-OK DR travel case? [Re: CHAPUISARMES]
      #306888 - 27/10/17 08:53 PM

Quote:

Quote.: Now I've moved to a pelican for my next overseas jaunt but haven't had opportunity to try it on any long journeys yet.

I have had and used a Pelican Case for the last 15 years to Africa and the N.T. and have nothing but praise for the Pelican case.

I like to take out the foam supplied with the case, and instead put the rifle in a soft case inside the hard case. That way eg in Africa, one has the softcase for use on bakkies etc, and the hardcase for legal airline travel.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Ripp
.577 member

Re: Best TSA-OK DR travel case? [Re: NitroX]
      #306901 - 28/10/17 12:18 AM

Quote:

Quote:

I like to take out the foam supplied with the case, and instead put the rifle in a soft case inside the hard case. That way eg in Africa, one has the softcase for use on bakkies etc, and the hardcase for legal airline travel.

I do the same on all of my hunts..works very well and you always have the protection for the firearm while running around the country in vehicles...

Ripp

--------------------

DoubleD
.400 member

Reged: 23/11/03
Loc: Retired in Oklahoma
      #306912 - 28/10/17 02:02 AM

I left the tube lock on my Tuff-pac. TSA simply has asked that I meet them at the bag room for keys and inspection.

As an old retired Customs officer I have never understood the need for TSA to hand inspect a declared rifle after running it through their X-ray. You can look at the X-ray image and see if the gun was loaded. I know because we gave TSA the X-ray units.

--------------------
DD, Ret.

pamtnman
.275 member

#306913 - 28/10/17 02:12 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Would be interested to see how the Tuffpaks are modified to take padlocks.

BTW while your method may have worked for your trip, was it inspected at any point? This method does not separate the ammo from the same case or bag carrying the firearms and so will NOT be legal under international flight regulations and the requirements of a lot of airlines. The ammo has to go in a separate bag or case from the firearm.

Good questions, and yes, the rifle was inspected upon check-in at the airport in the USA, and upon entry into the destination nation, and upon exit and re-entry to the USA. The Stuff-Sak really works great, and the rifle case was lined up so that all we had to do was take the lid off the TuffPak, pull the ammo box off, and unzip the rifle case. The rifle slid right out of the case (we did not remove the rifle case), and easily slid right back in. Regarding the ammo, every US airline allows the ammo to be shipped with the checked-in gun, but it must be physically separate and in real packaging. So no loose ammo, nothing rolling around or laying around. I brought 40 rounds of .450 BPE in original Hornady .450 NE cardboard cases, double padlocked inside the small Pelican ammo case. Nobody made any deal about it, did not look at it, not in America and not in the highly regulated destination country. The destination country does want you to keep the ammo separate from the gun, but when the ammo is so securely locked inside a hard case, it does not matter if it is in the same hard case as the rifle. They are really separated. The police there complimented me and said it was the most secure arrangement they had ever seen.

pamtnman
.275 member

#306914 - 28/10/17 02:25 AM

Sorry, John, I do not know or see how to upload photos here. I would otherwise post some of the simple modifications I made to the TuffPak. It is the 1049, the older model of the current 1050. Only difference between them is the 1049 has high ridges of plastic around the lock area, to protect it from hits. When you install the padlockable thumb turn cam lock, some of that protective plastic surrounding the lock area has to be removed. I used a Dremel with a wood router bit and then a course grinding stone, finally a fine grinding stone, removing just barely enough for the cam handle to turn. It looks good and works great. The padlock fits through the cam handle, which cannot be turned unless the lock is removed. getting the right size padlock made a difference. Something robust enough to deter theft but not so big as to really dangle off the end and invite a natural mechanical snag or blow that could damage the arrangement. The Masterlock I found fit perfectly into the protective grooves, and I got a four-pack so I had extras in case something went wrong or TSA just "had to" cut one off. One was on the TuffPak, one was in my carry-on bag, and two padlocked shut the small Pelican ammo case inside the TuffPak. Both keys to all four locks were in a zip pocket in my pants at all times.
The padlockable thumb turn cam lock is easily available online and locally. I paid $8.00. TuffPak's manufacturer will sell you one for $75, and install it for another $75. So it makes sense to do it yourself.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#306947 - 28/10/17 06:08 PM

I think I read the requirement to separate ammunition from the firearms during transit in separate luggage is some sort of idea, that if some obtains and steals the gun case, they don't have the ammunition immediately available as well.

Whether that is a sensible reasoning, I didn't make the rules up.

USA may have different rules.

Most times when I check in, my duffel with ammo bix inside gets declared and I am asked hoiw it is packed. usually it goes through normal luggage lines. Maybe tagged somehow. The gun case after weighing etc, goes to a special channel. It might be opened an inspected to ensure it is unloaded. Actually not a bad idea, there are idiots in this world. Then off it goes. Locked. No one needs to access it until it is checked over at the destination.

For international travel, normally a visit to the Customs office before is required to have it checked over per the paperwork.

BTW I have a Tuffpak. I bought it years and years ago. But never used it for air travel. I think it would blow my kg allowance for checked luggage. Years ago and maybe still Americans had very generous allowances most of the world did not. Since then even the gun case for us is often or usually included in the 20 to 30 kg allowance (depending on the airline and flight). Tuffpaks are too damned heavy even empty. But I couldn't use just a Tuffpak with rifle and clothes, everything inside one. I use a duffel and a gun case. Always have other stuff to take.

I do use my Tuffpak on driving internal trips. It was supposed to fit nicely in the back seat of my Landcruiser and make it easy to slip firearms in and out for use. And them being locked away, out of sight and secure. Of course nothing goes to plan. The lid of the Tuffpak is awkward to put on and off. Also the back doors fo the Landcruiser doesn't open enough to slide the firearms out. So the whole thing and anything on top of the case needs to lifted up to facilitate thje right angle. Putting in at the back, again the door of the Landcruiser doesn't line up at all. The cargo area in the back is not big enough for the huge Tuffpak, and I have cargo barriers dividing that area up anyway etc. In theory things always work so well. In practice, sh^t happens.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

pamtnman
.275 member

#307118 - 01/11/17 08:51 AM

John,
After traveling internationally with the TuffPak, I realized how perfect it is for driving within the US. Some states are strict about guns being locked away while we pass through, and the TuffPak does that well. It fits perfectly width-wise in the bed of the Tundra, inside the bed extender area, which has a hard, lockable tri-fold tonneau cover. If I ever got pulled over in an unfriendly state, I can always point to the TuffPak and ask the officer if that is OK. After going through a locked tailgate, the officer would have to be unreasonable to say it's not a secure firearm. And I agree with you that the lid is ungainly, going on or taking off.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3872

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com