Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Leupold LTO thermal tracker

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Miscellaneous Topics >> Sporting equipment

Pages: 1
Louis
.375 member

Reged: 13/05/15
Loc: France
Leupold LTO thermal tracker
      #306627 - 19/10/17 10:09 PM

Would any Forum member have feedback to share about the new Leopold LTO thermal tracker? I would like to know in particular whether this device is an asset for spotting during daylight hours game not immediately visible because of hidden by bushes or for retrieving dead/wounded game that would haven ran away for some distance after being shot?
Thank you.
Louis

--------------------
"Everything that doesn't kill me makes me stronger"

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Rule303
.416 member

Reged: 05/07/09
Loc: Woodford Qld
Re: Leupold LTO thermal tracker [Re: Louis]
      #306669 - 20/10/17 06:09 PM

If your quarry is closer than 20mts you might pick it up, 10 mts seems to be about max reliable range. No I am not taking the piss. 2 mates bought them and that was about the extent of their reliability. That is in the open any bush in the way shortens that to almost 0. Even if the mates are exaggerating then 20 or 30 mts reliability, I wouldn't waste my money.

Louis
.375 member

Re: Leupold LTO thermal tracker [Re: Rule303]
      #306670 - 20/10/17 07:16 PM

Thank you very much, Rule303, most useful insight.

--------------------

Rule303
.416 member

#306671 - 20/10/17 08:46 PM

Not a problem Louis. Glad I could help. I was looking at buying one until the mates told me of their results.

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
      #306673 - 21/10/17 02:30 AM

For what purpose are the advertised? Any ranges given & if so, under what conditions?

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
Re: Leupold LTO thermal tracker [Re: DarylS]
      #306674 - 21/10/17 04:46 AM

Quote:

For what purpose are the advertised? Any ranges given & if so, under what conditions?

Here is some info I found:

https://www.opticsplanet.com/reviews/reviews-leupold-lto-tracker-thermal-imaging-monocular.html

Leupold had a booth set up behind my area at the GREAT ALASKA OUTDOOR SHOW in Anchorage last spring..they let me play with it one morning in the building..the one I used performed much better than what others on this blog have described.. Maybe I got one of the "good ones"..

I honestly like Leupold quite a bit..their VX5 and VX6 Scopes are in my opinion superior in clarity and performance to the Zeiss models I have.. feel the VX6 is really close to my Swaro Z5's as to clarity frankly...have used the older VX-3 models in the 4-14 pwr range for years on many of my rifles..had one on my 300RUM that never moved POI on 4 trips to Africa..and it held up to lots and lots of shots over the course of about a 14 yr period..replaced the barrel last year and put a Swaro on this time..but still have that scope..now on a .264 Win Mag...

Put a new Swaro on a 28Nosler last fall.. it gave up the ghost inside of 20 rounds..so yes, they all fail unfortunately ..

Ripp

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

Edited by Ripp (21/10/17 04:47 AM)

xausa
.400 member

Reged: 07/03/07
Loc: Tennessee, USA
      #306685 - 22/10/17 12:22 AM

This review might be of help: https://wiki.ezvid.com/best-thermal-mono...ASAAEgJMTvD_BwE

Louis
.375 member

Re: Leupold LTO thermal tracker [Re: xausa]
      #306696 - 22/10/17 06:30 PM

Thank you very much for all replies.
Louis

--------------------

Rule303
.416 member

Re: Leupold LTO thermal tracker [Re: Ripp]
      #306706 - 23/10/17 08:03 AM

RIPP

The Swaro's are great glass but are not as tough as some others. I have a Z3 and it is light, no way would I put that on anything with sharp or heavy recoil. I have heard the top of the rang Leupies are every bit as good as any of the Euro glass. If you want a tough scope then S&B and the Nightforce NXS are the ones that survive the longest in the Military Test to Destruction trials.

Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
      #306736 - 24/10/17 01:15 AM

Quote:

RIPP

The Swaro's are great glass but are not as tough as some others. I have a Z3 and it is light, no way would I put that on anything with sharp or heavy recoil. I have heard the top of the rang Leupies are every bit as good as any of the Euro glass. If you want a tough scope then S&B and the Nightforce NXS are the ones that survive the longest in the Military Test to Destruction trials.

Agree---I have a couple NF's and have never had an issue with them..also have one SB, same with it as well..however it is actually on a 6/284..so recoil in minimal..the two NF are on heavier recoiling calibers with one on my Sako TRG-42 in 338 Lapua..but, like the old Timex commercial and an old girlfriend of mine, takes a licking and keeps on ticking..

MY only issue with the NF and SB is for mtn hunting they are just too heavy for what I want to lug around for days on end..which is the main reason I have gone with the Swaro Z5, Zeiss Conquests, and Leupolds..

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 13 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2603

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com