Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Possible-new-world-record-moose-harvested- Alaska

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in the Americas

Pages: 1
Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
Possible-new-world-record-moose-harvested- Alaska
      #305991 - 04/10/17 12:07 PM

http://www.wideopenspaces.com/possible-new-world-record-moose-harvested-alaska/

http://www.montanaoutdoor.com/2017/09/potential-world-record-bull-moose/

Ripp

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Huvius
.416 member

Reged: 04/11/07
Loc: Colorado
Re: Possible-new-world-record-moose-harvested- Alaska [Re: Ripp]
      #305993 - 04/10/17 01:14 PM

Wow!!
What an animal.
So, not knowing much about moose, do they gradually grow bigger and bigger antlers year over year or would a mature bull like this have a period of maximum antler growth for a number of years?
I don't expect the wilds of Alaska to change all that much year to year as far as vegetation and nourishment goes as compared to more arid areas where deer may have good antler years and other not so good years. Right?

--------------------
He who lives in the past is doomed to enjoy it.

Ripp
.577 member

Re: Possible-new-world-record-moose-harvested- Alaska [Re: Huvius]
      #306001 - 05/10/17 12:42 AM

Quote:

Wow!!
What an animal.
So, not knowing much about moose, do they gradually grow bigger and bigger antlers year over year or would a mature bull like this have a period of maximum antler growth for a number of years?
I don't expect the wilds of Alaska to change all that much year to year as far as vegetation and nourishment goes as compared to more arid areas where deer may have good antler years and other not so good years. Right?

They are the same as any other deer in that yes, typically as they age the antlers get bigger each year until they hit their prime..then, normally they will start to go the other way..usually this is around 4 or 5 to around 7 or 8 years old..

Something this big has incredible genetics, food source, etc..for that kind of growth..certain areas have the right mixture of minerals I have been told that allows for larger than usual growth..example is E Montana..known for larger mule deer..as well as whitetail ..large antlers..same over in the Bitterroot area..

The other component they need is age..need time to get big and mature..unfortunately with so many hunters in today's world, many are taken out long before that happens..Many 1 1/2 and 2 1/2 yr old bucks will die in the next 6 weeks..driven by need for meat and sadly in many case ignorance and greed...have to shoot something..

Ripp

--------------------

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: Possible-new-world-record-moose-harvested- Alaska [Re: Ripp]
      #306006 - 05/10/17 05:31 AM

Many people simply want meat for their families. I've never been a trophy hunter - whatever 1st legal moose or deer I see, gets shot.

I've never hunted for large horns or antlers. For me, I do like to see & do appreciate the results of people harvesting the large sinking bulls or bucks.

I prefer the younger animals for the freezer. Just like being a meataterian, it's a personal choice.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

93x64mm
.416 member

Reged: 07/12/11
Loc: Nth QLD Australia
Re: Possible-new-world-record-moose-harvested- Alaska [Re: DarylS]
      #306012 - 05/10/17 07:24 AM

Now that would have been a lot of work to get out of the bush!
Just picking up the antlers would have been hard enough.

Iowa_303s
.400 member

Reged: 22/03/13
Loc: Iowa, USA
Re: Possible-new-world-record-moose-harvested- Alaska [Re: DarylS]
      #306019 - 05/10/17 11:18 AM

Quote:

Many people simply want meat for their families. I've never been a trophy hunter - whatever 1st legal moose or deer I see, gets shot.

I've never hunted for large horns or antlers. For me, I do like to see & do appreciate the results of people harvesting the large sinking bulls or bucks.

I prefer the younger animals for the freezer. Just like being a meataterian, it's a personal choice.

Where my son and I hunt in Tennessee you can only shoot 2 bucks a year starting with bow season in October and ending with rifle in mid January.
We shoot does for meat and only take a buck if it is of true wall hanger size. This property has been managed this way for a few years and the bucks are getting bigger.
My son is a wildlife biologist and has set up much of the management plan for this property.

--------------------
Matt

formerly known as Iowa_303

"Once your reputation is ruined you can live your life quite freely."

"Enkelkinder über alles"

Rell
.375 member

Reged: 03/12/04
Loc: Oyster Bay, NY, USA
Re: Possible-new-world-record-moose-harvested- Alaska [Re: Iowa_303s]
      #306027 - 06/10/17 01:50 AM

I almost hate to see a moose like that.

I was in the NYC museum of natural history a few weeks ago and saw a full mount diorama of two 60+ bulls fighting. This bull puts them to shame.

I hunted moose a lot as a kid and was fornutante to take a fair number over the years. It's the possibility of seeing one like that that still makes me feel like a 12 year old with his first tag in his pocket.

--------------------
450-400, 9.3x74r and 7x65r.

Ripp
.577 member

Re: Possible-new-world-record-moose-harvested- Alaska [Re: Rell]
      #308381 - 28/11/17 01:34 AM

Quote:

I almost hate to see a moose like that.

I was in the NYC museum of natural history a few weeks ago and saw a full mount diorama of two 60+ bulls fighting. This bull puts them to shame.

I hunted moose a lot as a kid and was fornutante to take a fair number over the years. It's the possibility of seeing one like that that still makes me feel like a 12 year old with his first tag in his pocket.

And THAT is what keeps many heading out to the fields every year..there might be ONE around the next corner??

As I get older it seems its become much more than that..revisiting my old haunts..being back in nature..seeing/watching the wildlife from a distance ...still dream of the big old bull/buck/whatever...but so much more than that now..makes it better actually..

Ripp

--------------------

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2426

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com