Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: I see - my guns are single shot

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Single Shots & Combination Guns

Pages: 1
DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
I see - my guns are single shot
      #305760 - 27/09/17 01:01 PM

On Airgun nation, there are a bunch of members there from Australia and New Zealand.
Anyone here use air rifles and should be have a air gun forum?

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
cordite
.333 member

Reged: 29/01/07
Loc: NW Montana
Re: I see - my guns are single shot [Re: DarylS]
      #305769 - 28/09/17 12:24 AM

I do not, but I have been thinking about getting one for backyard shooting practice. I know there are powerful ones for hunting, target models, and cheep ones that probably aren't good for much of anything. I would welcome a forum to help me get educated.

Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
Re: I see - my guns are single shot [Re: cordite]
      #305772 - 28/09/17 12:47 AM

I have a couple..one is a higher end model that is extremely accurate and powerful ..can literally kill a whitetail with it if needed...and yes, I know this for a fact...

I too use mine primarily for taking care of pests around the yard..gophers, chucks, etc...

Would welcome an airgun forum..

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

DarylS
.700 member

Re: I see - my guns are single shot [Re: Ripp]
      #305773 - 28/09/17 03:26 AM

I started with my brother's little break-barrel Slavia .177 when we were kids, about 8 or 9 yrs old.

Dad replaced the piece of matted hair-like crap they used as a seal at the breech, with a neoprene O ring and that improved the power somewhat as it eliminated the leakage there. I shot a lot of squirrels with that rifle, along with starlings, grackles & pigeons in Ron Shiel's & Jack Calvert's barns.

When I reached 12 yrs. old, my uncle gave me my first .22, so I stopped using the air rifle.

About 4 or 5 years ago, I became interested in air rifles again, and bought a few, couple PCP's & a couple higher end springers, Weihrauch rifles, models 97 and 98. They are about the ultimate in springers, as far as quality goes.

Beeman re-brands them with different model #'s and is a marketer here.

Diana, rebrands and sells RWS air rifles, about the second in line to the HW's.

I also have a Brocock PCP .22 cal. air rifle that is made in England and is not owned by Day State, as well as a Texas made Air Force Condor in .25 cal. Both of these are quite accurate and hold an edge over the springers, although I've shot gophers to 56 yards with my HW97 in .177.

Just getting into shooting Air Force Condor as I have a couple moulds for it, shooting 48gr. HPBT's and 51gr. FPBT's. These promise to give better range than the waisted pellets, as the heavier bullets are not as screwed up by transonic speeds as waisted pellets are.

Super sonic speeds really screw with normal pellets, so being adjustable, the Air Force is kept at or below 960fps.

(cheap)Super sonic springers, 1,000fps to 1,400fps that you see on the market are sometimes only super sonic with alloy pellets. All of them are actually really hard on the air rifle springs, breaking these quite quickly. Due to the speeds too fast, they usually do not shoot well past about 10 yards and are very difficult to shoot. All of their screws have to be lock-tighted or they simply unscrew. These rifles are really hard on scopes and only air rifle approved scopes can be used, and even then, some of these rifles will wreck a scope in as few at 5 or 6 shots.

Only PCP (Pre Charged Pneumatic) air rifles can be used with normal scopes.

For PCP air rifles or handguns, you need a method of filling them. I use Scott Air Pack 97 Cu.Ft. tanks that are rated at 4,500psi. If filled to that level, they will fill the PCP's quite a few times, over 40. With 30 to 40 shots per fill, that's fairly cost-effective.

Some guys have compressors to fill their own tanks - there are a number on the market along with hand pumps - which are too hard for an old guy like me to operate.

The local paint ball outfit over charges on compressed air, so no air rifle shooters go there any more. They used to be on par, as in $5.00 to fill a 60cu. ft. scuba tank to 3,300psi, but raised that price to $30.00 which is stupid.

I rent a 200 pound 4,500psi nitrogen tank from Praxair, a local compressed chemical company. This will fill my big carbon fiber tank(s) a number of times, and is good for about 6 months of shooting, thousands of shots. That costs $102.00 with taxes and other government shit charges.

Some scuba shops have the capability to fill tanks to 4,500fps, others do not. Some are cheap, some are not. Some Fire Departments will fill your tanks for donuts and beer, some will not. Our local fire department will not.

I have a Hawke air rifle scope on my Brocock and an Optisan 6-24x56 on the Air Force.

As I've kinda just started into air rifles, I have some knowledge, but of course I am on a long learning streak with this stuff, but will share what I know, if I can answer them. If I cannot, I have the means to find out for you.

edited for re-wording the last sentence.

Edited by Daryl_S (28/09/17 09:51 AM)

Dogfish858
.300 member

Reged: 08/08/15
Loc: Western Canada
      #306677 - 21/10/17 12:15 PM

The Slavias bump up 2-300 fps if you slide a 3/4 tube behind the mainspring. They become full on hunting guns then.

--------------------
But what about you? he asked. Who do you say I am?

Wayne59
.400 member

Reged: 20/06/15
Loc: Lagrange Ga. USA
Re: I see - my guns are single shot [Re: Dogfish858]
      #306678 - 21/10/17 12:54 PM

I have an air rifle in 22cal that actually shoots pretty well up to about 30yds. The limiting factor seems to be trigger pull. Does any air rifle manufacturer make a rifle with a decent trigger pull. Mine has an adjustable trigger but it is a joke.

Iowa_303s
.400 member

Reged: 22/03/13
Loc: Iowa, USA
Re: I see - my guns are single shot [Re: Wayne59]
      #306679 - 21/10/17 01:29 PM

I only use air rifles for pest shooting and precision competition (international 10 meter).
My son, along with the above mentioned uses, hunts squirrels and rabbits with his .25 cal air rifle.
Its a springer and is a brute to cock but its hits with authority!

I would welcome an airgun section.

--------------------
Matt

formerly known as Iowa_303

"Once your reputation is ruined you can live your life quite freely."

"Enkelkinder über alles"

500Boswell
.400 member

Reged: 21/07/06
Loc: Queensland
Re: I see - my guns are single shot [Re: Iowa_303s]
      #306681 - 21/10/17 04:38 PM

Have a BSA 22 ,but hardly ever used it ,would like to get a 25 cal or something bigger for the zombie Apocalypse when we run out of powder, but not lead ,quiet too, so the zombies wont hear you whacking something for food .

DarylS
.700 member

Re: I see - my guns are single shot [Re: 500Boswell]
      #306694 - 22/10/17 03:42 PM

As to springers Wayne, Weirhauch air fifles have adjustable triggers. Their triggers are the best of the Springer Air Rifles and that is not arguable. All air rifles triggers, for years now, are compared to the Weirhauch "Record" Trigger.

Both of my springers are HW's, a thumbhole HW97KT in .177 and a .22 cal. in an HW98. Nice trigger, pulls and both arr 2-stage as most seem to be. Some can have that adjusted out if desired. I'm used to it, no bother.

The FX Impact (Pneumatic as in pre-charged with an air tank) is undoubtedly the very best in .25 cal rifles, is modular in design and winner of the 2017 Bench Rest match. My Air Force (currently sneared at by the $2,000.00 to $4,000.00 FX owners) does a pretty good job of hunting and on top of that, I have a 51gr. 40-cavity mould for it made by NOE in Oregon.

They are also available in .36 and .45 calibre (The Texan), if big game hunting (larger than fox or coyote) is in your sights. The .25 will handle those at called in ranges, with bullets or pellets. FPE runs up to about 116.
The Texans will run fpe's to 900, with special valves, in the States and also handle bullets easily to about 400gr.

FX had just come out with a sub $1,000.00 pneumatic in .25 that should keep FX store shelves empty if that is the only one they stock.

1/2 inch at 50 yards is my best grouping so far with my .25 "Condor", but now that I have my nitrogen gas supply figured out, I'll be doing longer range shooting & experimenting with it next spring.

--------------------
Daryl

DarylS
.700 member

#306695 - 22/10/17 04:02 PM

Most springers are limited in the accuracy department by power.

By that I mean, that if you can keep the speed sub-sonic of whatever projectile you are shooting, you will have a much better chance at obtaining longer range accuracy - say - past 20 yards.

Ted, of "Ted's Holdover", has excellent videos on air rifle shooting and has done quite a lot of testing & pest shooting videos.

When watching UK videos, one must keep in mind the FPE limitation of less than 12 fpe they must hunt under.

This makes them pretty much HAVE to take head shots on about all vermin for quick kills, whereas with higher fpe allowances, many body shots are instantly fatal with the extra power.

Here, there is no limit to fpe, however physics gives us the speed of sound for a barrier.

Pellets, that is, waisted pellets that exceed that speed, or engage in the trans-sonoic speed zones, just above of just under, oft times are blood innacurate.

960fps - is a good speed to tune for, with PCP rifles. Just under, as in sub 900fps is good for high quality springers.
Weirhauch is tops, RWS seems second place.

WE tell people who buy the 1,000fps to 1,350fps low priced springers to use the heavies pellets made for their calibre.

In .177. that would be the 10.5gr. Crossman Ultra Magnum, or JSB Heavies and Jumbos that run over 12gr., or H&N or Eungin extra heavy pellets just to get the speed down below the 970fps range.

In "Magnum" .22 cal. an H&H Barracuda 19.01 gr. HP will likely be your most accurate pellet. They shoot amazingly well in both of my High Power .22's.

This outfit, in Richmond BC, had a good supply of pellets and nice rifles as well as air gun scopes. I've dealt with them for a number of years. Kelly is great to deal with.

https://www.dlairgun.com/Air-Rifles/

Another, is Rhonda & Mike at Specialty Shooting Sports in BC. They are closing and have a number of good deals. Good people.

https://www.specialtyshootingsportsoutdoors.com/airguns.html

Another, back East, is Air gun Source.

http://airgunsource.com/

In the States, google Pyramid Air, or?, for your air gun needs. There are others, in both countries & I expect Australia, NZ as well as other countries and continents around the globe.

https://www.pyramydair.com/

--------------------
Daryl

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
      #306816 - 26/10/17 05:53 AM

I don't have one. Been interested in acquiring one for years, probably asked a question or two on NE forums for that purpose, but haven't done anything about buying one. Costs money that could be used for something else.

Have fantasised about becoming a Professional Hunter of pigeons in winery sheds with an air rifle ... ha ha ha.

Actually quite possible. I wonder if SAPOL would accept being paid with wine as evidence of professional shooter status?

PS As for new forums, if there are actual real posts, then it is possible. Too many forums now, will be culling some instead as time goes on.

PPS Watched a few videos and online articles on more powerful air rifles. Interesting to see what is out there in the modern world.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

sharps4590
.300 member

Reged: 09/03/16
Loc: Missouri Ozarks
Re: I see - my guns are single shot [Re: NitroX]
      #306924 - 28/10/17 04:37 AM

I bought a springer 7-8 years ago more to shoot and keep my old eyes in practice than for anything else. It sits by my shop door and I'll touch off a few rounds ever once in a while. It's marked "Walther" but somehow I doubt they had any more to do with it than adding their name. 'Couse I could very well be wrong. It is accurate, I'll give it that.

As far as any further interest in air rifles or a separate forum, neither interests me but, there's a lot of other folks out there!!

--------------------
Jesus said, "I am the way the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father but through me." John14:6

DarylS
.700 member

Re: I see - my guns are single shot [Re: sharps4590]
      #306927 - 28/10/17 09:03 AM

There are a couple Walther springers - one anyway and it's deemed to be decent rifle with good accuracy, at least in the sub 500fps range.

Tony Wall of Sandwell Field Sports in the UK is a master at tuning air rifles.

I inquired about sending one of my HW's to him and he said he could receive it and tune it, but was not legal for him to return it to me. lol. Bloody laws.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Twg7e2jdAs0

--------------------
Daryl

DarylS
.700 member

#306928 - 28/10/17 09:33 AM

More than a couple Walther springers, some that look amazingly like Weihrauch HW97's and HW77's.

https://www.umarexusa.com/collections/air-rifles/walther-air-rifles

--------------------
Daryl

Tom_H
.333 member

Reged: 13/04/05
Loc: Southeast, NY
      #308784 - 07/12/17 10:14 PM

I have accumulated a number of air rifles and pistols over time.
Have a few crosman MkII pistols (anytime I can pick one up for the right price I grab it. Heavier than the Ruger auto it copies, with a great trigger. Those guns shoot into .25 or less at 10m and are easy to work on. Downside is CO2.
Have a Turkish Webley Venom sidewinder PCP in .22. The gun didn't get great reviews but I got one of the good ones. Good for 1" at 50yds and when turned down will give 60+ shots at 575fps.

Got an FWB 300s on the cheap. All I can say is wow. Recoil-less action springer that is non-hold sensitive. Outside of the gun looks like hell but the bore is mint. Someone resealed it in the recent past. Haven't clocked it, but it shoots true one hole groups at 10m.
The trigger is two stage and breaks at 6oz.

Started an airgun league at my gun club a few years ago as a way to get folks to shoot offhand. All sorts of steel from 7 to 35 yds. Nice walk thru the woods type of course that you could run the 40 shots in 15 minutes but typically takes 2 hrs as a social event.
Watching the progression of guns was interesting. Shooters starting with Gamo springers and over a couple years progressing to much higher end guns like HW50s and Air arms.

--------------------
Carbonation without fermentation is tyranny

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 23 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Huvius 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 8957

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com