Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Knives away to new homes

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Bowhunting + Bows, Spears & Knives

Pages: 1
VonGruff
.400 member

Reged: 08/02/09
Loc: South Otago, New Zealand.
Knives away to new homes
      #303849 - 08/08/17 03:22 PM

This field scalpel will be away this week. Buff horn on a 2 1/2 in x .1 15N20 blade in a pocket sheath.

--------------------
Von Gruff.

Exodus 20:1-17

Acts 4:10-12

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Bidgee
.375 member

Reged: 08/04/15
Loc: Northern Rivers, NSW
Re: Knives away to new homes [Re: VonGruff]
      #303855 - 08/08/17 08:01 PM

That's a neat blade. Someone is going to be very happy!

Is there much of a difference between the field scalpel and a 'bird and fish' knife?

VonGruff
.400 member

Re: Knives away to new homes [Re: Bidgee]
      #303866 - 09/08/17 04:21 AM

This is my two smaller patterns with the field scalpel and the upland game bird. I dont call the upland game bird knife a bird and fish as it would need to be stainless to really comply with that naming so while it can easily be used for fish it would need to be noted that this is carbon steel, 15N20, that I use for the smaller blades.

--------------------
Von Gruff.

Edited by VonGruff (09/08/17 04:23 AM)

Bidgee
.375 member

#303895 - 09/08/17 07:53 PM

Thanks for the explanation and photo VG. Your upland game blade looks a cracker.

Cheers

VonGruff
.400 member

#303926 - 10/08/17 03:03 PM

I got an order for another of the field scalpel,s but with a cross draw sheath, so am have got 2 of them under way and an upland game blade as well to have them on hand for when required. Not sure what I will use for handle scales as yet for the spare blades but that is something that can be decided later. They are ground, HT and in the tempering oven at the moment.

--------------------
Von Gruff.

93x64mm
.416 member

Reged: 07/12/11
Loc: Nth QLD Australia
      #303937 - 11/08/17 06:12 AM

Good to see it been working out mate, keep up the good work!
As far as scales are concerned, unless the client wants something really fancy just use whatever is a good cabinet making timber over your way - the blade does the all the work not the handle.
Cheers

VonGruff
.400 member

Re: Knives away to new homes [Re: 93x64mm]
      #303951 - 11/08/17 11:11 AM

I got a box of Australian blackwood the other day so there are a whole heap of handles in that and there is quite a bit of other types of wood in the drawers but what people want is what people want so I have to be able to supply if I can.

I decided to make the upland game knife for myself and will use a 1/8" blue G10 handle with a jarah liner for something different.

--------------------
Von Gruff.

VonGruff
.400 member

#304587 - 29/08/17 02:36 PM

A few more knives away after final sharpening tomorrow. This is the safari knife that was ordered with the brass bolster and birdshead grip hande in walnut instead of the original patern handle in micarta or buff horn.

And some more field scalpels. Two have the belt sheath (one buff horn and the other in olivewood) and the third is a neck knife sheath.

I have refined the shape a little for the olivewood knife and this will njow be my patern as it sits a little more comfortably in hand.

--------------------
Von Gruff.

Bidgee
.375 member

#304614 - 30/08/17 05:10 PM

Nice!

Looking forward to seeing your upland game knife when it is completed.

Would you be able to do a thread showing how you make the sheaths. They look really well made.

Cheers

VonGruff
.400 member

#304624 - 31/08/17 04:17 AM

Quote:

Nice!

Would you be able to do a thread showing how you make the sheaths. They look really well made.

Cheers

Sometimes there is a failure with a blade or one that when finished I am not satisfied with and the upland game knife was one of those so will do another one soon.

Will do a work in progress with a pic spread on the next lot I do for the horizontal carry style. I have a new design of knife I have just developed for the owner of another rifle/hunting forum as a forum knife with the forum logo on both the sheath and the knife handle and have just done the first couple of test blades for him.

This is the new EDC design. The concept was/is to be a small fixed blade that would take the place of a pocket knife but more more comfortably handled than pocket knives generally are, and with the horizontal carry belt sheath would be more easily accesible, would be retreivable and replacable with one hand and for those place where public knife carry is legal it would be a good 'go to town' knife as well.

The blade grind will be at the full flat and the plunge angle is to coincide with the bottom curve of the handle front edge. The handle wood will be Australian blackwood.

This was a pic from one of the knife forums sheath section that I used as a model for the sheath I have made for these smaller knives and having used it have found it to be a very comfortable way to carry the small knives.

When done I will be offering the same knife as part of my general patterns to anyone else but without the other forum logo. It may be that John may want a forum knife for Nitro Express and another concept knife could be worked on for you guys. I really enjoy colaborating on designs with someone elses ideas and turning them into a viable and usefull knife. Are you there John???

--------------------
Von Gruff.

VonGruff
.400 member

#304828 - 05/09/17 09:27 AM

Quote:

Nice!

Cheers

Here you go.

After cutting out the oatern I mark in the end spots for the belt loop stitches, my makers mark and the line for the inside stitches for the welt.

The pieces are then dyed but the edges etc will be touched up later

The stitch holes are marked in on the pieces that need doing at this stage

and the holes drilled. I use a 2mm drill bit backwards in the drill press that has the shank ground to a point as this makes for a nice clean burnished hole on the face of the leather.

--------------------
Von Gruff.

VonGruff
.400 member

#304830 - 05/09/17 09:36 AM

The belt loop has the edge skived and is sewed on.

The "U" groover makes the grooves down the center of the sheath so it facilitates the fold later. The welt is then glued on to one edge with F2 contact adhesive and then the welt and the other side are glued so the sheath can be folded and glued together.

I run the edge on the grinder (with worn 60 grit belt) to smooth all the edges then the edge groover is run round thd the marking wheel marks for the stitching holes to be drilled.

Starting at the end of the inner stitch line the stitching is done around to where the belp loop is sewed to the main body edge and the sytitching is finished

--------------------
Von Gruff.

VonGruff
.400 member

#304831 - 05/09/17 09:42 AM

As the leather is still damp from the dye I can bone the handle shape into it at this stage although for the sheaths that are hot waxed I would do the boning when the leather is hot from the wax.

The knife only has to be sharpened now and it can be sent off to its new home as a companion piece to one of my safari knives that he already has.

--------------------
Von Gruff.

Edited by VonGruff (05/09/17 05:21 PM)

VonGruff
.400 member

#304832 - 05/09/17 09:53 AM

This is a couple of videos I did a while back that shows some of the process of drilling the holes and doing the stitching for some sheaths. I had been using a carbide stem for the drilling but it found a new home somewhere on the shed floor so replaced it with the reversed drill bit that I use now.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rTSn-nQFsqI&feature=youtu.be

A bit of stitching and includes sticking myself with one of the needles even though they are round ended they still bite if gripped hard enough the wrong way.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2zUEJBXiMk&feature=youtu.be

finishing off the bottom end of the stitching
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZqGOdP5TzU&feature=youtu.be

And hot waxing for the larger sheaths
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r2jzIUNzWV0&feature=youtu.be

--------------------
Von Gruff.

Edited by VonGruff (05/09/17 05:25 PM)

VonGruff
.400 member

#304833 - 05/09/17 10:00 AM

To keep things leather and sheath related easier to keep in one place I made an old fashioned tea trolly so I can keep all the tools etc on top

and the leather and patterns on the bottom.

--------------------
Von Gruff.

Edited by VonGruff (05/09/17 05:25 PM)

Bidgee
.375 member

#304862 - 06/09/17 06:44 AM

WOW, thanks for posting that, it is an impressive post! It was very detailed and the steps made sense.

I would love to do some leather work myself but am always time poor with the commitments to work, home and my daughters horse riding taking priorities. Maybe one day if I ever retire........

Bidgee
.375 member

#304863 - 06/09/17 06:52 AM

Quote:

This is the new EDC design. The concept was/is to be a small fixed blade that would take the place of a pocket knife but more more comfortably handled than pocket knives generally are, and with the horizontal carry belt sheath would be more easily accesible, would be retreivable and replacable with one hand and for those place where public knife carry is legal it would be a good 'go to town' knife as well.

This was a pic from one of the knife forums sheath section that I used as a model for the sheath I have made for these smaller knives and having used it have found it to be a very comfortable way to carry the small knives.

When done I will be offering the same knife as part of my general patterns to anyone else but without the other forum logo. It may be that John may want a forum knife for Nitro Express and another concept knife could be worked on for you guys. I really enjoy colaborating on designs with someone elses ideas and turning them into a viable and usefull knife. Are you there John???

Maybe a Nitro Express Forum Upland Game knife would be a nice plan???

VonGruff
.400 member

#304873 - 06/09/17 10:17 AM

Quote:

Maybe a Nitro Express Forum Upland Game knife would be a nice plan???

Willing to look at a proposal.

--------------------
Von Gruff.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
      #304929 - 07/09/17 05:56 PM

Quote:

Willing to hear what people are interested in.

A general safari styled knife sounds interesting. Something suitable for skinning a deer or antelope and maybe buffalo? Also for general butchering.

One mention of an upland game knife so far. What is that for, upland game - birds or ? What configuration would such a knife take?

I do like the sheaths with suitable choices for carrying on the belt. I like the normal style, but the sideways carry method is unusual and not general available and can be very handy.

I liked the idea of the two knife comination Puma once had, the "White Hunter" larger knife and a smaller knife for closer work. The White Hunter was a "Bowie" style. Not talking about a Bowie style but a better usuable practical style.

Ideas?

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

VonGruff
.400 member

Re: Knives away to new homes [Re: NitroX]
      #304962 - 08/09/17 04:36 AM

The upland game bird knife is too light to be considered a general purpose knife but I have just ground up three of them and will heat treat them today. They will not be given handles untill they are ordered so the handle material will be chosen by whoever orders one. I will post a pic of the blades later when they are cleaned up after heat treat.

As far as a forum knife goes, that would be suitable for deer to buffalo, I would sugest that my wapiti knife with 4 1/2 in blade on the large side or the slightly smaller overall hunter skinner or general hunter with 4 in blade would be more in keeping with what has been (sort of) proposed.

This pic is of a wapiti knife, 2 hunter skinners and a general hunter just out of heat treat.

As another option, my safari hunter and field scalpel makes for a good pairing and has been ordered by some as a pair.

Sheath styles can be changed as the forum members decide from multi purpose to standard behind the hip style, or all options can be offered and it could be that more than one style of knife and sheath is chosen to suit differing members needs if one style dose not suit accross the board.

John, you could contact me about the stamp to emboss the Nitro Express logo on the sheath but in keeping with a forum knife a single style would be prefered to standardise the "forum knife" concept

--------------------
Von Gruff.

Edited by VonGruff (08/09/17 04:44 AM)

VonGruff
.400 member

#304985 - 08/09/17 11:55 AM

I decided to make a more apropriate holder for the little olivewood knife that mother took a liking to so at her 90th birthday at the weekend I said I would get it sorted this week so this is what I came up with. I didn't have a large enough piece of olivewood but I think the contrast of the walnut is a better look anyway
This is what I did to make the little knife more available for her. It will be screwed onto one of her cupboard facings, be simple to retrieve and replace, while being secure in keeping.

The recess has to follow the curviture of the handle to get a good fit and have with enoug depth at the ase to give full support to the handle end

--------------------
Von Gruff.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#304995 - 08/09/17 05:20 PM

Quote:

The upland game bird knife is too light to be considered a general purpose knife but I have just ground up three of them and will heat treat them today. They will not be given handles untill they are ordered so the handle material will be chosen by whoever orders one. I will post a pic of the blades later when they are cleaned up after heat treat.

As far as a forum knife goes, that would be suitable for deer to buffalo, I would sugest that my wapiti knife with 4 1/2 in blade on the large side or the slightly smaller overall hunter skinner or general hunter with 4 in blade would be more in keeping with what has been (sort of) proposed.

This pic is of a wapiti knife, 2 hunter skinners and a general hunter just out of heat treat.

As another option, my safari hunter and field scalpel makes for a good pairing and has been ordered by some as a pair.

Sheath styles can be changed as the forum members decide from multi purpose to standard behind the hip style, or all options can be offered and it could be that more than one style of knife and sheath is chosen to suit differing members needs if one style dose not suit accross the board.

John, you could contact me about the stamp to emboss the Nitro Express logo on the sheath but in keeping with a forum knife a single style would be prefered to standardise the "forum knife" concept

I'd want to see a knife or some knives in person.

I'm interested in hearing if NE members would like an NE branded knife, and what type(s).

--------------------
John aka NitroX

VonGruff
.400 member

Re: Knives away to new homes [Re: NitroX]
      #305146 - 11/09/17 03:18 PM

For Bidgee

This is some upland game bird blades that have been HT and cleaned up but will not put handles on them untill they are ordered to give choices of various wood, horn or micarta. The little knives behind them are for the other forum but waiting on a different coloured thread for their sheaths so they wont be completed for a couple of weeks akthough I got the handles shaped and sanded this afternoon.

On another front I go in another order of buffalo horn today. Had been starting to worry about it as it had been20 days since it was posted from the US when shipping times are generally in the 10-14 days for getting thngs sent or me sending completed knives away.

There are smaller sets for the field scalpel and would also be ideal for the upland gamebird blades while the larger and thicker sets are needed for the safari knife sized handles.

--------------------
Von Gruff.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#305223 - 12/09/17 08:39 PM

Can you not use water buffalo horn? I know it was used for the forend top of my rifle. Also have a custom damascus knife with water buffalo horn.

Can you show some photos when you have time of the field scapel style knives? And explain why they are named such and their features? Thanks.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 9559

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com