Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Removing lump from barrels

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Building Double Rifles & Gunsmithing

Pages: 1
Capodosto
.224 member

Reged: 09/09/17
Loc: Connecticut
Removing lump from barrels
      #305195 - 12/09/17 06:10 AM

I need to remove the lump and forearm hook from a pair of old Belgian twist steel.410 barrels for my .22LR "Squirrelfari" double rifle project. I read somewhere that one way to prevent over heating and causing the solder on the barrels and ribs to soften is to immerse the barrels halfway in a pan of water with the lump sticking up, heat the base of the lump with a torch while holding it with pliers or tongs, and because the barrels are heat sinking into the water, you can get the base of the lump hot enough to remove without separating the barrels and everything falling apart. I'll probably put a heavy weight on the barrels to hold them down. Does this sound like it will work? I need to replace the lump on a set of "donor" barrels with the lump that came with my action, which I acquired without barrels (probably blown up at the proof house). The lump seems to be like a "shoe lump" but without the platform, just a lump with a chunk of metal attached with a hole for the extractor shaft and relieved sides for attaching to the barrels. I also have to relocate the forearm hook about a half inch. Thanks for any advice. Photo of Lump

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
eagle27
.400 member

Reged: 24/01/09
Loc: Nelson, New Zealand
Re: Removing lump from barrels [Re: Capodosto]
      #305218 - 12/09/17 07:25 PM

I would do as you plan but heat the lump from middle up, not at the base, and let the lump get as hot as it has to with heat travelling down to the solder interface with the lump where it will let go before too much heat gets to the barrels and ribs. You can physically scrape the solder left adhering to this area afterwards without using heat.

Capodosto
.224 member

Reged: 09/09/17
Loc: Connecticut
Re: Removing lump from barrels [Re: eagle27]
      #305250 - 13/09/17 03:04 AM

I am a little nervous about using water in the pan, is there a non-corrosive alternative that won't ignite from the torch? Quenching oil might be risky.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 5 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2096

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com