Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: 458LOTT custom altered Brno

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Big Bore Rifles

Pages: 1
ozhunter
.400 member

Reged: 18/08/04
Loc: Sydney, Australia
458LOTT custom altered Brno
      #300233 - 08/05/17 06:57 PM

Some photos of a Brno I recently had altered . By far the best pointing Rifle I have tried!

Bellow my M98 458Mag

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
Re: 458LOTT custom altered Brno [Re: ozhunter]
      #300239 - 09/05/17 12:09 AM

Really nice looking rifles..like the stock design..

Thx for posting

Ripp

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

Homer
.416 member

Reged: 07/04/09
Loc: Canberra, Australia
Re: 458LOTT custom altered Brno [Re: Ripp]
      #300254 - 09/05/17 07:30 AM

G'Day Fella's,

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm Donuts!

More details (like who did the Stock work, Metal work and Engraving), please Ozhunter.

Regards
Homer

--------------------
"Beware the Lolly Pop of Mediocrity,
Lick it Once and You Will Suck Forever"

Claydog
.375 member

Reged: 17/08/12
Loc: Katherine, Northern Territory ...
      #300255 - 09/05/17 07:32 AM

Like the short fore-ends. That with the longer barrel on the Lott would make a nice pointing rifle for sure. Also like bigger guns with no cheek piece and the metal engraving makes it a nice looking rifle. Love both the 458 and the Lott. Fine pair.

buckbrush
.300 member

Reged: 23/08/07
Loc: Alberta
Re: 458LOTT custom altered Brno [Re: Claydog]
      #300290 - 10/05/17 05:29 AM

I like the stock design as well. That type fits me much better than the Modern Classic style of your .458.

Rifle57
.224 member

Reged: 07/05/17
Loc: Colo,USA
Re: 458LOTT custom altered Brno [Re: buckbrush]
      #301869 - 17/06/17 11:53 AM

Nice rifle you have there ozhunter I like the wood looks great!!

Remington
.224 member

Reged: 12/12/04
Loc: Spain
Re: 458LOTT custom altered Brno [Re: Rifle57]
      #304674 - 02/09/17 01:35 AM

Hello, sorry for intruding on this thread, but I have drawn attention to this cartridge. I will never go hunting for Africa (unless I win the lottery) but I knew of reading magazines and videos of youtube the 458 Winchester Magnum cartridge. But here and in other forums I have read about the Lott 458 and I would like to know some aspects. Is this cartridge suitable for hunting elephants or is it a bit short of power? I would like to know if it is reliable in terms of stopping an elephant attack. And well what you think to you this for my unknown cartridge. Thank you,

Remington.

--------------------
Punctuality is respect for the time of others.

xausa
.400 member

Reged: 07/03/07
Loc: Tennessee, USA
Re: 458LOTT custom altered Brno [Re: Remington]
      #304675 - 02/09/17 05:22 AM

Whatever the .458 Winchester Magnum will do, the .458 Lott will do also, with less pressure for a given velocity. The Lott will also generate more velocity than the .458 WM, because it has a larger case, thus more case capacity and for a given pressure produce greater velocity.

I have never hunted in Africa with the Lott cartridge, but I have hunted with the .458 WM and taken one elephant and three Cape buffalo with it. It is decidedly an elephant cartridge. The elephant I took with it went down at the shot and never got up again.

The rifle is a Krieghoff .458 WM O/U double rifle. It has two additional barrel sets in .375 H&H Magnum and 20 gauge 3" Magnum, a nice suitcase gun for an African hunt.

Remington
.224 member

Re: 458LOTT custom altered Brno [Re: xausa]
      #304678 - 02/09/17 06:09 AM

Xauxa

Thank you very much for your response, my most sincere congratulations to the hunted elephant. It is the dream of every hunter. I see that the 458 WM is still a great cartridge, but the 458 Lott does the same job with less pressures and therefore in warm climates with more security. By the way a wonder his double rifle. Enjoy it very much and with health.

Remington.

--------------------

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: 458LOTT custom altered Brno [Re: Remington]
      #304778 - 04/09/17 04:41 PM

Quote:

Hello, sorry for intruding on this thread, but I have drawn attention to this cartridge. I will never go hunting for Africa (unless I win the lottery) but I knew of reading magazines and videos of youtube the 458 Winchester Magnum cartridge. But here and in other forums I have read about the Lott 458 and I would like to know some aspects. Is this cartridge suitable for hunting elephants or is it a bit short of power? I would like to know if it is reliable in terms of stopping an elephant attack. And well what you think to you this for my unknown cartridge. Thank you,

Remington, in the past it was alleged the .458 Win Mag was being under-loaded and allegedly this caused problems in African hunting fields. Velocities as low as 1600 fps for a 500 gr projectile at the muzzle. Due to the lesser case capacity of the .458 Win Mag case.

The .458 Win Mag was created to duplicate the ballistics of the various .450 Nitro Express cases/rifles which are in the range of 2050 to 2200 fps at the muzzle for a 480 gr or 500 gr projectile. These rounds were and are very effective on buffalo and elephant. The .458 Win Mag was designed to a straight walled shoulder-less case with a magnum rim of a far shorter length than the Nitro Express brass cases.

When a .458 Win Mag is loaded to 2000 fps or higher velocity with a 480 or 500 gr projectile of proper construction, it makes a very worthwhile round.

If I owned one, I would consider using 500 gr projectiles but also consider 480 gr projectiles designed for the NE cartridges and also 450 gr projectiles. And look for a loading where the powder compaction is reasonable, velocityu adequate and still a decent bullet with penetrating ability.

The .458 Lott is a longer case designed to add extra oomph to the .458 Win Mag case.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
Re: 458LOTT custom altered Brno [Re: NitroX]
      #304808 - 05/09/17 02:04 AM

Everything I read and PH's I talk to, the 458W mag will do all you need and more..provided it is loaded as John suggested in his post..

Per Hornady, they are claiming Hornady factory loads to do 2140 fps with 500gr bullets, you do not need more than this, IF this is accurate...however in todays works where a chronograph is common amoung most reloaders, I would think they publish accurate numbers...

Ripp

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
      #304813 - 05/09/17 03:43 AM

I have read the problems with the .458 factory ammo developing sub-standard ballistics stemmed from the powder used by Winchester, being likely a non-production/proprietorial 748-type powder- old military ball or spherical powder. In order to get the published ballistics of 2,150fps from the requisite 25" barrel, they needed a very heavily (powder) compressed charge of it.

Since this WW .458 factory ammunition was stored in Africa, the storage of it lacked the fundamental rules we now know, of cool, dry storage for the longevity (long-life) of the product.

Hot and dry, or hot and wet in Africa, are not synonymous with longevity of powders, smokeless nor black.

The powder in the .458 magnum factory rounds, being heavily compressed in these cartridges & stored under such arduous conditions, became caked, virtually a solid mass thus did not burn correctly, sometimes failing to go off at all. Oft times, it developed sub-standard ballistics as John noted. These failures did the damage which today has put a black mark on the .458 Winchester Magnum.

There are very good powders today that do not share this caking and poor function that the OLD ammunition was plagued with.

Today, with modern powders, the .458 does everything it was ever meant to do.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

Remington
.224 member

Re: 458LOTT custom altered Brno [Re: DarylS]
      #304819 - 05/09/17 05:42 AM

Actually the subject of the great weapons for the hunting in Africa of dangerous animals is exciting. Thank you very much for the aclarations. I understand that today the 458 Lott is unnecessary with the components there are for the 458 Winchester Magnum and that it will do everything that is expected of it. I will continue reading threads about these superb cartridges. Knowledge does not take place.

Thank you,

Remington.

Remington
.224 member

Re: 458LOTT custom altered Brno [Re: NitroX]
      #305188 - 12/09/17 03:59 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Remington, in the past it was alleged the .458 Win Mag was being under-loaded and allegedly this caused problems in African hunting fields. Velocities as low as 1600 fps for a 500 gr projectile at the muzzle. Due to the lesser case capacity of the .458 Win Mag case.

The .458 Win Mag was created to duplicate the ballistics of the various .450 Nitro Express cases/rifles which are in the range of 2050 to 2200 fps at the muzzle for a 480 gr or 500 gr projectile. These rounds were and are very effective on buffalo and elephant. The .458 Win Mag was designed to a straight walled shoulder-less case with a magnum rim of a far shorter length than the Nitro Express brass cases.

When a .458 Win Mag is loaded to 2000 fps or higher velocity with a 480 or 500 gr projectile of proper construction, it makes a very worthwhile round.

If I owned one, I would consider using 500 gr projectiles but also consider 480 gr projectiles designed for the NE cartridges and also 450 gr projectiles. And look for a loading where the powder compaction is reasonable, velocityu adequate and still a decent bullet with penetrating ability.

The .458 Lott is a longer case designed to add extra oomph to the .458 Win Mag case.

Thanks Nitrox, I do not read your answer. Excuse my awkwardness.

Remington.

--------------------

Pages: 1

Extra information
1 registered and 61 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 6947

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com