Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: How big game hunting is dividing southern Africa

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Africa & hunting dangerous game

Pages: 1
Bidgee
.375 member

Reged: 08/04/15
Loc: Northern Rivers, NSW
How big game hunting is dividing southern Africa
      #305124 - 11/09/17 07:05 AM

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-41163520

Drifting down the Zambezi in Zimbabwe, I overheard two American men swapping hunting stories.
"First shot got him in the shoulder," a white man in his late sixties explained to his friend. "Second hit him right in the side of the head!" Pointing at his temple, he passed his phone with a picture. The animal in question was a dead crocodile.
Crocodiles are easy to find on this part of the Zambezi: lying in the sun on the banks of the river, boats can float just a few feet away. And given that they are motionless for most of the time, not hard to shoot, I imagine.
The second American showed his pal a picture of a Cape Buffalo he had killed, and planned to have shoulder mounted. He complained he couldn't afford the $19,000 (£14,500) Zimbabwe demands for the licence to kill an elephant. His buffalo cost him $8,000 (£6,100).
"Are they saying an elephant is worth more than two buffalo?" he lamented. "I saw hundreds of elephants today. Far too many. You have to see it here to realise. In California they are saying these animals are endangered!"
The first man's wife then talked of the thrill she gets at the kill, discussing how different calibres of bullet explode the vital organs of African wildlife. I left to look at the hippos watching from the river.

But, curiously, I have felt obliged to consider the ethics of big game hunting at home in London in the last few months.
I'm an Arsenal fan, and it recently emerged that my team's owner, American sports tycoon Stan Kroenke, had launched a TV channel in the UK featuring lion and elephant hunting.
High profile supporters
The corporate values of family brand Arsenal do not sit easily with pay-to-view videos of hunters shooting animals for fun, and after a couple of days of hostile publicity, Kroenke ordered his channel to stop showing the killing of some big game.
But both sides in the hunting debate claim they are the true guardians of animal welfare.
Supporters of African trophy hunting, including some in very high places - two of President Trump's sons are avid big game hunters - argue that a ban on hunting would harm wildlife and local people.
It would stop much needed revenue reaching some of Africa's poorest communities, discourage conservation and cut funds for wildlife management that would make it easier for poachers to operate, they say.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Postman
.375 member

Reged: 25/09/13
Loc: Canada
Re: How big game hunting is dividing southern Africa [Re: Bidgee]
      #305140 - 11/09/17 09:21 AM

$5000 a NIGHT???? for lodging in a sight seeing lodge???? Yeah, right!!!! What a bunch of mindless drivel.

Why don't they discuss how the elephants crowding into Botswana are stripping the very lands that Botswana purports to protect?????

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: How big game hunting is dividing southern Africa [Re: Postman]
      #305171 - 11/09/17 11:13 PM

Typical UK class hatred article, always obsessing on the price.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: How big game hunting is dividing southern Africa [Re: NitroX]
      #305222 - 12/09/17 08:35 PM

The title on this article, as usual with tabloid articles, is provocative and does not really seem borne out in the article at all??? Perhaps it is just trying to highlight - hunters vs anti hunters? Or rich vs poor?

Funny when working class / class hatred people in the UK try to push the poor angle, when the poor of Africa so easily make 99.9% of people of the UK very wealthy in comparison ...

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
Re: How big game hunting is dividing southern Africa [Re: NitroX]
      #305238 - 12/09/17 11:17 PM

Quote:

The title on this article, as usual with tabloid articles, is provocative and does not really seem borne out in the article at all??? Perhaps it is just trying to highlight - hunters vs anti hunters? Or rich vs poor?

Funny when working class / class hatred people in the UK try to push the poor angle, when the poor of Africa so easily make 99.9% of people of the UK very wealthy in comparison ...

THEY (libs/democrats) do the same thing over here all the time..to the point of ad nauseam ...that group has to have an enemy in an attempt to justify their misguided ideology...so there is always an issue with someone who became/is successful through hard work, or is white, especially if you are a white male AND successful...

Ripp

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 53 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2174

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com