Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Bullets-for-african-plains-game.....

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Africa & hunting dangerous game

Pages: 1
Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
Bullets-for-african-plains-game.....
      #304642 - 31/08/17 11:16 PM

https://www.americanhunter.org/articles/2017/7/15/bullets-for-african-plains-game/

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
bwanabobftw
.375 member

Reged: 29/12/04
Loc: Texas
Re: Bullets-for-african-plains-game..... [Re: Ripp]
      #304716 - 03/09/17 06:15 AM

Great article and excellent advise.
Robert

Rule303
.416 member

Reged: 05/07/09
Loc: Woodford Qld
      #304728 - 03/09/17 04:24 PM

Marking this to read tomorrow.

That was a good read and certainly makes sense.

Edited by Rule303 (04/09/17 01:50 PM)

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: Bullets-for-african-plains-game..... [Re: Rule303]
      #304775 - 04/09/17 04:03 PM

Good article.

But sometimes an animal just refuses to die. Often after it has been wounded first. Perhaps adrenalin is a factor behind the "iron-clad" African game reputation.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Ripp
.577 member

Re: Bullets-for-african-plains-game..... [Re: NitroX]
      #304804 - 05/09/17 12:43 AM

Quote:

Good article.

But sometimes an animal just refuses to die. Often after it has been wounded first. Perhaps adrenalin is a factor behind the "iron-clad" African game reputation.

Agree--one of the toughest I have ever shot was a Roan..unbelievable..shot him at about 200 yards looking at me with my 375H&H using 270 gr Trophy Bonded Bear Claws....chest hit..he turned and ran..
we sprinted up the hill..there he was just standing there about 80 yards..head down..I shot him again as he was facing quartering away..he flinched and stayed..shot him again..he turned and started to trot off..shot again through the front shoulders..he dropped..but kept trying to get up..unbelievable.. my hunting partner shot one a couple days before and had the same experience, also shooting a 375H&H..

Ripp

--------------------

416rigby
.300 member

Reged: 16/11/05
Loc: Port Angeles, Washington USA
      #304806 - 05/09/17 01:54 AM

I shot an average size white tail doe with a 150gr Remington factory load from a 30-30 at a range of 15 feet. She literally walked right up to me, unaware I was there until it was too late. She stopped when she saw me, I shot and she went down like a ton of bricks, double lung shot just behind the shoulder, broadside. She immediately got up and ran wide open like she was never touched, a massive blood trail pouring from both holes. After a hundred yards, she jumped a fence and kept going.

Animals are tough.

--------------------
"Life's too short to hunt with an ugly gun"

U.S. Coast Guard, retired

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: Bullets-for-african-plains-game..... [Re: 416rigby]
      #304932 - 07/09/17 06:21 PM

I used to target a behind the shoulder lung shot. Had too many woundings with that point of impact. Then decided it was stupid to worry about meat damage on an African trophy and aim to penetrate the shoulder instead, and still damage the lungs or heart. Why worry about a bit more meat damage when the meat can't be brought home and the trophy fees are expensive.

The various "x-ray" African game shooting guides such as the one put out by "African Hunter" in the past, also tends to show the heart slightly more forward than for example European deer species. Perhaps there is a reason for the difference? Is this true, or ?

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#304933 - 07/09/17 06:38 PM

The bullets and cartridges I have used on African game.

First safari in 1994 for plains game. .30-06 with 180 gr Nosler Partitions. Terrible performance. They acted as FMJ's and generally just zipped through. I think the bullet lot was too hard and harder than normal. OR the front tip was too fragile and blew up with superficial damage with the rear half zipping through. Probably the last.

Then switched to 200 gr Nosler Semi Pointed, which were available at the time. They worked very well. The head tracker thought it was a different rifle. I had two lots of bullets by chance. Both shot to a similar point of impact.

Second safari. .375 H&H Mag. 300 gr Woodleigh Weldcore Round noses. Worked fine on buffalo and various plains game. Always worked fine except when one time which was my fault. A .375 with a decent bullet should be more than equal for any medium game.

Next trip. For elephant, buffalo and plains game. .450 for elephant. 9.3x74R double rifle and 8x68S for plains game. The 9.3 with 286 gr Woodleigh Weldcore PP's slew a goodly number of warthog without problem. As should be expected. The 8x68S with 200 or 220 gr (I forget) A-frames worked very well on everything. Again, a cartridge and bullet which should be able to handle well any medium species.

One of NE's first members and from South Africa, used a .460 Weatherby Magnum and a .243 for everything.

No reason the 6.5mm's, 7mm's or .30's shouldn't work well with proper shots and decent bullets. Above .30 calibre, why not, if it means less time tracking wounding beasts and days wasted following up for less than perfect placement. The reason I bought a 8x68S was for a good powerful 'magnum' class rifle with good range and able to pack a good punch at the other end. But it would not stop me using a 7x57/.275 Rigby, or a 6.5x54 M-S or 6.5x65mm if I felt like it. Just a little more care needed. Or my .30-06. And all of them have less recoil and are comfortable to shoot.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Ripp
.577 member

#304945 - 07/09/17 11:29 PM

Quote:

I used to target a behind the shoulder lung shot. Had too many woundings with that point of impact. Then decided it was stupid to worry about meat damage on an African trophy and aim to penetrate the shoulder instead, and still damage the lungs or heart. Why worry about a bit more meat damage when the meat can't be brought home and the trophy fees are expensive.

The various "x-ray" African game shooting guides such as the one put out by "African Hunter" in the past, also tends to show the heart slightly more forward than for example European deer species. Perhaps there is a reason for the difference? Is this true, or ?

----
I did the same as that is how I was taught..then went to Africa..same thing..forced to do a short bit of tracking when not necessary..starting shooting the point of shoulder or high shoulder..boom, no more tracking..have since used the same shot placement here on deer and elk..they all drop in their tracks..done..

--------------
Quote:

The bullets and cartridges I have used on African game.

First safari in 1994 for plains game. .30-06 with 180 gr Nosler Partitions. Terrible performance. They acted as FMJ's and generally just zipped through. I think the bullet lot was too hard and harder than normal. OR the front tip was too fragile and blew up with superficial damage with the rear half zipping through. Probably the last.

Then switched to 200 gr Nosler Semi Pointed, which were available at the time. They worked very well. The head tracker thought it was a different rifle. I had two lots of bullets by chance. Both shot to a similar point of impact.

Second safari. .375 H&H Mag. 300 gr Woodleigh Weldcore Round noses. Worked fine on buffalo and various plains game. Always worked fine except when one time which was my fault. A .375 with a decent bullet should be more than equal for any medium game.

Next trip. For elephant, buffalo and plains game. .450 for elephant. 9.3x74R double rifle and 8x68S for plains game. The 9.3 with 286 gr Woodleigh Weldcore PP's slew a goodly number of warthog without problem. As should be expected. The 8x68S with 200 or 220 gr (I forget) A-frames worked very well on everything. Again, a cartridge and bullet which should be able to handle well any medium species.

One of NE's first members and from South Africa, used a .460 Weatherby Magnum and a .243 for everything.

No reason the 6.5mm's, 7mm's or .30's shouldn't work well with proper shots and decent bullets. Above .30 calibre, why not, if it means less time tracking wounding beasts and days wasted following up for less than perfect placement. The reason I bought a 8x68S was for a good powerful 'magnum' class rifle with good range and able to pack a good punch at the other end. But it would not stop me using a 7x57/.275 Rigby, or a 6.5x54 M-S or 6.5x65mm if I felt like it. Just a little more care needed. Or my .30-06. And all of them have less recoil and are comfortable to shoot.

My first I used Nosler Accubonds as they shot so accurately out of my 300RUM--180 gr bullets..horrible performance..blew up on impact at close range..similar performance to a Berger..used my .416 shooting A-Frames for the remainder of the trip on everything from the smallest antelope to cape buffalo..

Second--took same rifle combo in 300RUM and 416 REM..but both loaded with A-Frames--180's in the 300RUM and 400GR in the 416...

Third, fourth and fifth..same combo with the exception of using 200gr A-Frames in the 300RUM..still used 400GR A-Frames in the 416--all performed perfectly..90% plus weight retention on those we recovered--on 3rd Safari actually blew through one cape buffalo bull and kill another bull on the other side..both dead with one shot out of the .416--was hunting with Nixon in Zim when that happened..he stated he had never seen a soft blow through a cape buffalo before let alone kill another bull on the other side..

6th safari--took one rifle--in 375H&H..loaded with 270 GR A-Frames--never got my ammo --but PH had Trophy bonded Bear Claws and some holdover factory loaded A-Frames..both worked extremely well as to bullet performance..both had 90%+ retention..biggest surprise to me was how much less effective the 375 vs the 416 seemed to be on cape buffalo..and a smaller species to boot..while I know this was just one incident, when I go back again for cape buffalo it will be with a .416..

IMHO, when in Africa and hunting in NON-fenced areas such as Zim, Tanzania, etc..will only carry a .375H&H or larger even for plains game..experience has shown me on more than one occasion, you never know what is around the next corner..

--------------------

Edited by Ripp (07/09/17 11:44 PM)

416rigby
.300 member

Reged: 16/11/05
Loc: Port Angeles, Washington USA
      #304989 - 08/09/17 04:36 PM

Thankfully, that tough doe ran out of blood and went down, but I was young and that was the sort of aim point everyone was taught. I now subscribe to what the great writer John Wooters called the grapefruit. Imagine a grapefruit suspended between the front legs, one third to half way up from the bottom of the chest, and aim for it no matter the angle the animal presents. This targets the heart/lung area pretty well. Works for me.

--------------------
"Life's too short to hunt with an ugly gun"

U.S. Coast Guard, retired

Rule303
.416 member

Reged: 05/07/09
Loc: Woodford Qld
Re: Bullets-for-african-plains-game..... [Re: 416rigby]
      #304999 - 08/09/17 08:04 PM

As a bloke I know up Cape York that does a lot of hunting, feral animal control says, if it is big forget the body shoot the neck, they drop PDQ. No tracking or dodging incoming animals.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 24 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3638

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com