Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Modern SxS Actions

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Building Double Rifles & Gunsmithing

Pages: 1
Tendua
.224 member

Reged: 21/02/17
Loc: Idaho
Modern SxS Actions
      #298381 - 04/04/17 04:58 AM

Hi all, I was wondering if I could get someone with more knowledge than I to answer a few quick questions: Is a CZ coach shotgun's action strong enough to be converted into a .577 nitro double rifle by way of using sleeved barrels? and also, What modern (and affordable) SxS shotguns are strong enough to be converted to this caliber, if any? Thanks.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
jvw
.275 member

Reged: 15/05/08
Loc: Australia
Re: Modern SxS Actions [Re: Tendua]
      #298384 - 04/04/17 05:55 AM

Simple to answer: No and None.

Tendua
.224 member

Re: Modern SxS Actions [Re: jvw]
      #298385 - 04/04/17 06:05 AM

Thanks jvw for the quick reply. What should I look for in an older shotgun action for it to qualify as an adequate action to build upon? Also, I apologize if this topic has already been posted.

Huvius
.416 member

Reged: 04/11/07
Loc: Colorado
      #298390 - 04/04/17 07:54 AM

I wouldn't patently say that there are no modern shotgun actions up to the job but you will be looking at a ten bore.
Buckstix has had quite a time with his built on a Spanish action.

--------------------
He who lives in the past is doomed to enjoy it.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: Modern SxS Actions [Re: Huvius]
      #298412 - 04/04/17 01:58 PM

Greener Empire shotguns were used by a local gunsmith in the past to make some .577 "Light" Nitro double rifles. Do a search on these forums for some threads. Search of "Greener Empire" and the "Fat Lady".

The gunsmith that used to do it, no longer does.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

416rigby
.300 member

Reged: 16/11/05
Loc: Port Angeles, Washington USA
Re: Modern SxS Actions [Re: NitroX]
      #298420 - 04/04/17 03:02 PM

The least expensive route to a NE rifle is a Ruger Number 1. The Tropical model, the 1H, can be rebarrelled to .577 NE. I'd suggest the .500 3" instead, though. Much easier to shoot and components will be a lot cheaper as well. Handloading is the only way you can afford to shoot the big guns. 50 caliber hard cast bullets are available from Beartooth Bullets, among others.

I have a .500 in a No1, and it's a lot of fun.

You could also rechamber a 458 Win to .450NE for even less money. Use the savings to feed it!

For even less money, you could buy a factory chambered No1 in 450-400 3" and start shooting.

SSK Industries in Ohio does lots of custom stuff with these rifles.

Food for thought...

--------------------
"Life's too short to hunt with an ugly gun"

U.S. Coast Guard, retired

Marrakai
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: Darwin, Top End of Australia
Re: Modern SxS Actions [Re: 416rigby]
      #298432 - 05/04/17 12:39 AM

Gentlemen:
Here is the first story about "that" shotgun conversion I tossed up on the web some years ago:
"Dancing with the Fat Lady"

...and the story of its last hunt in my hands before moving it on to Mick (.264):
"Last Dance with the Fat Lady"

I do miss that interesting rifle, but have since transferred my affections to an Army & Navy .577 x 2 3/4 on a Webley screw-grip (A&WC) action.

Also I am reminded that the Browning BSS action was considered suitable for conversion to some NE chamberings by a number of reputable gunsmiths in the past.

Hope this is of some use.

--------------------
Marrakai
When the bull drops, the bullshit stops!
--------------------------------
www.marrakai-adventure.com.au

Tendua
.224 member

Re: Modern SxS Actions [Re: NitroX]
      #302871 - 08/07/17 11:41 AM

Thanks for everyone's responses. In wake of this information, I recently purchased an (approximate date) 1875 .500 bpe jones underlever double that was bored to 20 bore (I assume for buck and ball loads for leapord). The action to barrel fit is tight with absolutely no play, and both locks function relatively well (in dire need of cleaning). One of the barrels is dented, and I had originally planned to fix the dent and sleeve the barrels back to .500 bpe. Before I move forward with this process could anyone tell me if this action is strong enough to be chambered in .375 H&H? I would install a new set of firing pins/bushings, and cut/thread the monoblock for two new barrels + machine a new extractor etc.

Tendua
.224 member

#302872 - 08/07/17 12:47 PM

Tendua
.224 member

#302873 - 08/07/17 12:48 PM

Tendua
.224 member

#302874 - 08/07/17 12:48 PM

Tendua
.224 member

#302875 - 08/07/17 12:49 PM

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
      #302876 - 08/07/17 01:37 PM

Years ago, Les Bauska of Kalispel, Montana made or had made up some cast actions copying the Ruger #1, but larger in width and depth and maybe length and barreled them up for the .600 Nitro ctg.
Anyone know of the whereabouts of any of those?

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

Grenadier
.375 member

Reged: 20/02/08
Loc: North of the Columbia, USA
      #302877 - 08/07/17 03:59 PM

Quote:

Is a CZ coach shotgun's action strong enough to be converted into a .577 nitro double rifle ... What modern SxS shotguns are strong enough to be converted to this caliber.....In wake of this information, I recently purchased ... .500 bpe jones underlever double that was bored to 20 bore... Before I move forward with this process could anyone tell me if this action is strong enough to be chambered in .375 H&H?

--------------------
~

transvaal
.300 member

Reged: 19/01/13
Loc: South Carolina
Re: Modern SxS Actions [Re: Grenadier]
      #302880 - 08/07/17 11:01 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Is a CZ coach shotgun's action strong enough to be converted into a .577 nitro double rifle ... What modern SxS shotguns are strong enough to be converted to this caliber.....In wake of this information, I recently purchased ... .500 bpe jones underlever double that was bored to 20 bore... Before I move forward with this process could anyone tell me if this action is strong enough to be chambered in .375 H&H?

Not large enough action in height and width for a .577; you need a 10 gauge action for that. Plus you need a donor action that has striker discs. Large frame 10 gauge Spanish shotguns are inexpensive to buy. For such a conversion, the action must be large enough for the chamber wall thickness that is required for the particular cartridge case.

Tendua
.224 member

Re: Modern SxS Actions [Re: transvaal]
      #302883 - 09/07/17 12:32 AM

I understand. My question is whether or not the firearm I purchased can be chambered for 375 h&h, or should I stick with converting it back to 500 bpe. I realize my questions from three months ago are pretty ridiculous, but I'm gaining more knowledge the more I read and ask from you guys. Thanks again

HeymSR20
.300 member

Reged: 23/11/11
Loc: Scotland
      #302938 - 10/07/17 07:12 PM

Quote:

Thanks for everyone's responses. In wake of this information, I recently purchased an (approximate date) 1875 .500 bpe jones underlever double that was bored to 20 bore (I assume for buck and ball loads for leapord). The action to barrel fit is tight with absolutely no play, and both locks function relatively well (in dire need of cleaning). One of the barrels is dented, and I had originally planned to fix the dent and sleeve the barrels back to .500 bpe. Before I move forward with this process could anyone tell me if this action is strong enough to be chambered in .375 H&H? I would install a new set of firing pins/bushings, and cut/thread the monoblock for two new barrels + machine a new extractor etc.

In the 1950s and 60s at the end of empire many of these old double rifles were brought back to the uk and kynoch also folding they effectively became useless. No ammo, nor much use for them. At that time you could keep a shotgun on a shotgun licence, which you bought for a few pennies at the post office. Rifles required a firearms certificate, which was much more involved and you need to show good reason. We then had the deer act with min energy and velocity requirements.

So cheap double rifles were simply cut up. Many of the better ones - family heirlooms were bored out to a shotgun - 410, 28 or 20bore. 25 years ago there was a wonderful gunshot in Bath that had many such converted double rifles. Many were BPE of one sort or another. Most were being sold to American buyers for quail shooting. I remember handling quite a few and they still had the heft of a double rifle even though were a 410 or 28. Having just finished graduate studies at Oxford, I was broke so could afford any, even though non were more than a few hundred pounds. I did buy a ward patent single 410 though!

My advice would be to drop a liner barrel down one or both tubes - an Einstecklauf - in something like 7x57r.

HeymSR20
.300 member

Reged: 23/11/11
Loc: Scotland
Re: Modern SxS Actions [Re: HeymSR20]
      #302949 - 11/07/17 04:33 AM

Look at the proof marks for the 20bore, take the pressures and multiply by the surface area of the 20 bore cartridge head - this will give you the force back on the breach face. Do the same with the rifle cartridge and this should give you a good idea of the forces involved.

aromakr
.375 member

Reged: 20/04/11
Loc: Hamilton, Montana
Re: Modern SxS Actions [Re: HeymSR20]
      #303038 - 14/07/17 09:19 AM

I recently saw a sleeved 12ga conversion at a local gun show, in a 45/70. It was nicely done, however very barrel heavy. not my cup of tea!!

Bob

ducmarc
.400 member

Reged: 14/07/14
Loc: fla
Re: Modern SxS Actions [Re: aromakr]
      #304603 - 30/08/17 11:12 AM

u can find jp sauer's between 5 and 700$ they have greener xbolts and german steel

--------------------
'killed by death' Lemmy.. ' boil the dog ' Elvis Manywounds "my best friend is my magnum forty four" hank willams the third.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 15 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 6349

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com