Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Leading elephant conservationist shot dead in Tanzania

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Africa & hunting dangerous game

Pages: 1
Bidgee
.375 member

Reged: 08/04/15
Loc: Northern Rivers, NSW
Leading elephant conservationist shot dead in Tanzania
      #304192 - 18/08/17 02:24 PM

A good man and passionate about wildlife conservation. I had the pleasure of working with him in the past. RIP Lotter.
This was a targeted killing and would be payback for the efforts in stopping ivory poaching.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/...ead-in-tanzania

The head of an animal conservation NGO who had received numerous death threats has been shot and killed by an unknown gunman in Tanzania.

Wayne Lotter, 51, was shot on Wednesday evening in the Masaki district of the city of Dar es Salaam. The wildlife conservationist was being driven from the airport to his hotel when his taxi was stopped by another vehicle. Two men, one armed with a gun opened his car door and shot him.

Lotter was a director and co-founder of the PAMS Foundation, an NGO that provides conservation and anti-poaching support to communities and governments in Africa. Since starting the organisation in Tanzania in 2009, he had received numerous death threats relating to his work.

Police in Tanzania have launched an investigation into his death.

The PAMS Foundation funded and supported Tanzania’s elite anti-poaching National and Transnational Serious Crimes Investigation Unit (NTSCIU) which was responsible for arrests of major ivory traffickers including Yang Feng Glan, the so-called “Queen of Ivory” and several other notorious elephant poachers. Since 2012, the unit has arrested more than 2,000 poachers and ivory traffickers and has a conviction rate of 80%. The NTSCIU was recently featured in the Netflix documentary The Ivory Game. In a previous interview, Lotter said he believed its work had helped to reduce poaching rates in Tanzania by at least 50%.

The latest elephant census data suggests that elephant populations fell by 30% in Africa between 2007 and 2014. Tanzania experienced one of the biggest declines in elephant numbers, where the census documented a 60% decrease in the population.

Lotter rarely took credit for PAMS’ success in helping reduce poaching rates in Tanzania, and was always quick to credit the work of the communities and agencies he worked with.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
Re: Leading elephant conservationist shot dead in Tanzania [Re: Bidgee]
      #304201 - 18/08/17 10:45 PM

Thanks for posting..sad story..

Condolences to his family and friends..

Ripp

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

Rule303
.416 member

Reged: 05/07/09
Loc: Woodford Qld
Re: Leading elephant conservationist shot dead in Tanzania [Re: Bidgee]
      #304217 - 19/08/17 08:19 AM

Sad news.
Condolences to family and friends.

I suspect he was costing the big plays too much money and/or upsetting a few politicians.

I wish the police well with their investigations but doubt they will find the killer let alone those who paid for the murder.

Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
Re: Leading elephant conservationist shot dead in Tanzania [Re: Rule303]
      #304225 - 19/08/17 12:14 PM

Quote:

Sad news.
Condolences to family and friends.

I suspect he was costing the big plays too much money and/or upsetting a few politicians.

I wish the police well with their investigations but doubt they will find the killer let alone those who paid for the murder.

Seeing and hearing about Dar es Salaam, would not surprise me if the locals police were not involved..horribly corrupt area of the world, as is most of Africa in my experiences..

Ripp

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

Rockdoc
.400 member

Reged: 07/12/06
Loc: NSW, Australia
Re: Leading elephant conservationist shot dead in Tanzania [Re: Ripp]
      #304235 - 19/08/17 05:13 PM

As is most of the third world Ripp.

I liked Dar es Salaam and spent quite some time in Masaki , when not in the bush.

Condolences to his family, friends and thinking of the wildlife he protected.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 20 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 1821

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com