Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: primitive arrows

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Bowhunting + Bows, Spears & Knives

Pages: 1
ducmarc
.400 member

Reged: 14/07/14
Loc: fla
primitive arrows
      #304029 - 14/08/17 11:31 AM

i only watch a few shows on the tube. and usually only on occasion. happened to be watching mountain me and Tom Ore gave a tutorial on making primitive arrows. was pretty good did not know they used rose stalks for the shaft and and went to iron arrow heads not long after we showed up.haven't looked that up to see how true that is . my daughter found a stone point in the swamp behind the house here in central fl.which seems a surprise.

--------------------
'killed by death' Lemmy.. ' boil the dog ' Elvis Manywounds "my best friend is my magnum forty four" hank willams the third.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: primitive arrows [Re: ducmarc]
      #304032 - 14/08/17 12:12 PM

Finding the stone point would be a treasure.

Most of the American Indians adopted iron and steel quickly once introduced to metal points and knives, hatches, pots and pans.

There were holdouts, though.

Ishi, the stone age last Indian of his tribe (Mountains in California), found starving and sick in a California rancher's corral, was turned over to Dr. Saxton Pope's care at a hospital nearby. I think this was in the 1920's.

Since Saxton Pope and Arthur Young were very much 'into' archery, they got along well with Ishi. Once he was well, their friendship grew, having that common bond, learning much from him and he from them. Ishi was totally amazed by steel "broadheads", how they were much stronger than the obsidian points he easily napped out and tied to his shafts, using deer sinew, of course. He did however, prefer his sharper obsidian points for hunting deer.

Dogwood was a common shaft material of the West coast Indians and whites alike, however by the 1920's I suspect Port Orford cedar was preferred shaft material, due to it's wonderful straight splitting nature.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
Re: primitive arrows [Re: DarylS]
      #304051 - 14/08/17 10:19 PM

Through the years of our hunting/hiking in the back country have come across a handful of older stone points..really interesting and as stated, a great treasure to find...

Ripp

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

DarylS
.700 member

Re: primitive arrows [Re: Ripp]
      #304056 - 15/08/17 12:22 AM

I found a napped basalt arrow-head with the point broken off, in a fire-pit at a local campsite, near Vanderhoof. The Carrier Indians of the area did not have archery, so it was an arrow point from the Chilko's, who came up to this area on raiding parties. the raiding parties were to capture women for slaves. I've read, they usually just killed all the men.
Basalt also breeaks on a concoidal fracture line, but it is inferior to both obsidian and flint or chert.

--------------------
Daryl

ducmarc
.400 member

Reged: 14/07/14
Loc: fla
      #304135 - 17/08/17 09:30 AM

need to ask my daughter what she did with it havent seen it for a while.

--------------------
'killed by death' Lemmy.. ' boil the dog ' Elvis Manywounds "my best friend is my magnum forty four" hank willams the third.

Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
      #304150 - 17/08/17 10:07 PM

Quote:

I found a napped basalt arrow-head with the point broken off, in a fire-pit at a local campsite, near Vanderhoof. The Carrier Indians of the area did not have archery, so it was an arrow point from the Chilko's, who came up to this area on raiding parties. the raiding parties were to capture women for slaves. I've read, they usually just killed all the men.
Basalt also breeaks on a concoidal fracture line, but it is inferior to both obsidian and flint or chert.

Hey Daryl,
that is really cool...thx for posting..speaking of which--what are you using for a photo hosting sight now days?

As to the Chilko's..I didnt realize they too had slaves..?? with all the new going on the past week about Charlottesville ..I thought it was only whites that were horrible people that had slaves??

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

DarylS
.700 member

Re: primitive arrows [Re: Ripp]
      #304157 - 18/08/17 01:54 AM

Just about all NA Indian tribes kept slaves.

Some, like the B.C. Carrier Tribes, were only slaves, & did not 'take' or keep them, themselves.

The chunk of basalt I pictured above is/was not the point I found, but just a chunk of basalt to show the Conchoidal fracture characteristic of the rock.

When on the island of Hawaii last January, we learned that when Mauna Loa erupted under winter ice, it formed very finely grained rock, which made very good basalt for making the early Hawaiian's tools.

The liquid basalt forming at low and warmer elevations was quite porous, coarse grained and made poor tools. Be have both 'kinds' here as well.

--------------------
Daryl

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 5 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3001

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com