Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: "Two Dianas in Somaliland" by Agnes Herbert.

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Ladies that Shoot & Hunt!

Pages: 1
Sportingbookworm
.224 member

Reged: 10/05/17
Loc: Samara, Russia
"Two Dianas in Somaliland" by Agnes Herbert.
      #303850 - 08/08/17 05:53 PM

The lady and her cousin Cecily were already mentioned on this forum - two girls from Edwardian Britain who didn't know the meaning of "impossible" and "this is a man's world". Follow the click to read an extract from their account of the Somaliland adventure. https://blog.bookyourhunt.com/2017/08/06/two-dianas-in-somaliland-the-first-lion-hunt/

--------------------
https://sportingbookworm.wordpress.com/

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
93x64mm
.400 member

Reged: 07/12/11
Loc: Nth QLD Australia
Re: "Two Dianas in Somaliland" by Agnes Herbert. [Re: Sportingbookworm]
      #303851 - 08/08/17 06:26 PM

Brave lassies that's for sure!
Would be an interesting read the whole book!
Loved the extract
93x64mm

Sportingbookworm
.224 member

Reged: 10/05/17
Loc: Samara, Russia
Re: "Two Dianas in Somaliland" by Agnes Herbert. [Re: 93x64mm]
      #303858 - 08/08/17 11:24 PM

Yes, the book is an interesting read. Very witty, full of Shakespearian allusions, and the writing is so different from today's six-word sentences and five-line paragraphs. If you're not averse to e-books, try looking for it on www.archive.org

--------------------
https://sportingbookworm.wordpress.com/

Daryl_S
.577 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: "Two Dianas in Somaliland" by Agnes Herbert. [Re: Sportingbookworm]
      #303865 - 09/08/17 01:52 AM

Holy crap - quite a story.

"A snarling quick roar, and almost before I could do anything but bring up my rifle and fire without the sights, a lion broke from the side of the brake. I heard an exclamation behind me, and my cousinís rifle spoke. The bullet grazed the lionís shoulder only, and lashed him to fury. All I can recollect is seeing the animalís muscles contract as he gathered himself for a springing charge, and instinct told me the precise minute he would take off. My nerves seemed to relax, and I tried to hurl myself to one side. There was no power of hurling left in me, and I simply fell, not backwards nor forwards, but sideways, and that accident or piece of luck saved me. For the great cat had calculated his distance, and had to spring straight forward. He had not bargained for a victim slightly to the right or left. His weight fell on my legs merely, and his claws struck in. Before he had time to turn and rend me, almost instantaneously my cousin fired. I did not know until later that she did so from a distance of some six yards only, having run right up to the scene in her resolve to succour me. The top of the lionís head was blown to smithereens, and the heavy body sank. I felt a greater weight ; the blood poured from his mouth on to the sand, the jaws yet working convulsively. The whole world seemed to me to be bounded north, south, east, and west by Lion. The carcass rolled a little and then was still. Pinned by the massive haunches I lay in the sand."

--------------------
Daryl

"a rifle without hammers, is like a Spaniel without ears" Edward VII

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 438

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com