Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Leica Geovid HD-R

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Miscellaneous Topics >> Sporting equipment

Pages: 1
Charls
.275 member

Reged: 05/05/05
Loc: South Africa
Leica Geovid HD-R
      #303332 - 26/07/17 03:40 PM

I am thinking of getting a Leica Geovid HD-R binoculars/rangefinder combo. Does anyone have any good or bad things to day about this product?
Thanks,
Charls

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Charls
.275 member

Reged: 05/05/05
Loc: South Africa
Re: Leica Geovid HD-R [Re: Charls]
      #303490 - 01/08/17 04:49 PM

Despite no responses to my question I have gone ahead and bought a Geovid 10 x 42 HD-R. This is a binoculars with a built-in rangefinder function.
I must say that I am particularly pleased with this product, the glass is of superior quality and the rangefinder accurate and easy to use. Instead of having to carry both a binoculars and rangefinder in the veldt, I only have the one piece of equipment. Much easier!
The total package is quite large and heavy compared to what I am used to, but I have already got used to it and is definitely to be recommended.
Regards,
Charls

Postman
.375 member

Reged: 25/09/13
Loc: Canada
Re: Leica Geovid HD-R [Re: Charls]
      #303495 - 01/08/17 10:10 PM

Ok, I'll bite: I've no experience with this product whatsoever. I do like my Zeiss 7x42 binos for their relatively light weight ~ 24 ounces or thereabouts and excellent glass/ergonomics. I don't want more power in a set of binos, lest twigs look like large tree trunks and the magnification create challenges in holding the image still using them freehand. There is a reason that good marine binos are generally accepted to be the 7x50 type..... the same logic applies to bush binos. Heart pounding, shortness of breath, and waaaay to much magnification makes for difficulty using them to practical advantage. Yes there are additional gizmos one can have that steady the image through some engineering trickery but it adds weight.

If those Leicas came in a 7 power and weight approx the same as my Zeiss with a built in rangefinder, I'd be in for a pair for sure!!! I simply will NOT pay the additional weight tax experienced lugging a ton of claptrap around with me while hunting.

Range finders are just not something I generally need for big game hunting though, so it tends to stay at home in a drawer. I have never shot big game at further than 300 yards, and unless I start mountain hunting, I likely never will. Many of my rifles have a PBR of around 250 yards so I'm good to hold on hair and gently squeeze that trigger....

I could see a use for a range finder in open grassy flatlands though, but for the number of times I'd encounter those conditions, I could drop my CRF900 in a spare pocket in the event the game is wary and a stalk to narrow the distance is not possible.

Edited by Postman (02/08/17 07:17 AM)

Homer
.416 member

Reged: 07/04/09
Loc: Canberra, Australia
Re: Leica Geovid HD-R [Re: Postman]
      #303814 - 07/08/17 01:57 PM

G'Day Fella's,

Charls, I bought a pair of the HD-R's, earlier this year.
Totally impressed by their optics and the ranging capability (out to 2000 meters).

I have had a pair of standard 10x42 Leica bino's for many years now, and there is a bit of difference in the physical size and weight. I still need to do a light gathering comparison between the two, to see if there is any difference?

Hope that helps

Doh!
Homer

--------------------
"Beware the Lolly Pop of Mediocrity,
Lick it Once and You Will Suck Forever"

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 0 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 1526

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com