Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: The Safari Knife work in progress

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Bowhunting + Bows, Spears & Knives

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)
gryphon
.450 member

Reged: 01/01/03
Loc: Sambar ground/Victoria/Austral...
Re: The Safari Knife work in progress [Re: Mike_Bailey]
      #301874 - 17/06/17 06:54 PM

Not many threads start with big knockers Mike..guns are more important ha ha.

--------------------
Get off the chair away from the desk and get out in the bush and enjoy life.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: The Safari Knife work in progress [Re: VonGruff]
      #301876 - 17/06/17 06:57 PM

Quote:

I will leave this thread to you gents having a discussion way outside of the intent of the thread

I was going to post to ask somee people to respect the thread starter, and the topc, especially one member who is a knife maker himself and there is nothing to stop him doing his own thread and topic. And knives used in slaughterhouses have nothing to do with a knife taken by a client on an African safari. Didn't get to making the post, always difficult to decide what is discussion and what is disruption.

If you continue the thread, I will cleam up all the off topic posts. I would like to see where your idea goes.

As for any deleted posts, nothing wrong with new threads on those topics.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Ahmed577
.333 member

Reged: 13/06/13
Loc: Western Australia
      #301877 - 17/06/17 08:27 PM

The greatest knife is the one you can sharpen quick. I generally carry 4 use them all then sharpen. In Australia we don't have the luxury of skinners. Working on the grandkids to ascend to this honour.

gryphon
.450 member

Reged: 01/01/03
Loc: Sambar ground/Victoria/Austral...
Re: The Safari Knife work in progress *DELETED* [Re: NitroX]
      #301886 - 18/06/17 04:01 AM

Post deleted by NitroX

--------------------
Get off the chair away from the desk and get out in the bush and enjoy life.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: The Safari Knife work in progress [Re: gryphon]
      #301915 - 18/06/17 08:25 PM

For skinning at home I usee my Victorinox butchers knives and K-dick steel. Usually are in my Landcruiser for any hunt as well.

As a hunter-butcher mate said, "A knife for show and the belt, and a knife for butchering."

My knife in that day was blunt. Stupid yes. Actually I think a kudu is much easier to skin than a sambar. Some of us pick up things when meeting and hunting with people as well but use discretion and fore-thought when commenting on line. Me for example.

Actually taking a sheath knife to Africa is mostly a waste of baggage weight. Many guys want one though. The skinners and trackers do the job very quickly and efficiently and are paid to do the job. Some outfitters have lesser skinners. One of the outfitters had, had his skinners spend some time with a taxidermist to learn how to cape and full mount skin animals. So they were very good at it.

On an African safari hunt where I am a client I usually carry just a Leatherman. Next one I might carry a sheath knife again. Just because it feels right.

I think it is disappointing to see a thread created by a guy to show how he is going about creating some knives for a theme, ie his project, is yet again destroyed and derailed. I was looking forward to it.

If von Gruff can be convinced to change his mind and return, perhaps a new thread. Naysayers can stay right out of it.

As I said, just start your own threads. I didn't see anything in this thread which is not suitable for these forums and is often good information. Different opinions. Just perhaps not good manners to argue with the guy on this thread, on the topic of a very specific project. JMO. Wouldn't it be interesting to see the project finished to the end?

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Edited by NitroX (18/06/17 08:55 PM)

Mike_Bailey
.400 member

Reged: 26/02/07
Loc: GB
Re: The Safari Knife work in progress [Re: NitroX]
      #301916 - 18/06/17 08:30 PM

John, I didn't know he pulled out of the post ! I thought it was a great idea. Damn right I want to follow it to the end, best

Edited by Mike_Bailey (18/06/17 08:30 PM)

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#301917 - 18/06/17 08:52 PM

Very easy to separate this thread into two. VonGruffs original posts and some others, then the rest in a new thread. Rename the new one - "the alternative ...". Everyone can have a say on different threads.

Von Gruff was posting a record of an actual personal project. One he has obviously put a lot of thought and effort into. Others may think differently or have different ideas. But it is fair enough for the thread originator to want HIS project and thread to stay on topic.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Edited by NitroX (18/06/17 08:58 PM)

Mike_Bailey
.400 member

#301920 - 18/06/17 09:27 PM

I thought we were on the same subject, just some chaps with ideas, I want to see what he comes up with and try one ! Where have we veered off topic ?
best
Mike

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#301979 - 19/06/17 05:18 PM

Quote:

I will leave this thread to you gents having a discussion way outside of the intent of the thread

Mike and others, vongruff has decided not to continue the thread on NE. Guys you have to realise it is a specific project, and obviously quite a lot of thought has gone into it. Another knifemaker may have other ideas, good O, but start their own thread. The project was one man's and some other contributors ideas put together. It is a big pity it seems we won't see it continuing on NE. I PMed VG and he said also as much.

If you want to see it continue, please comment. Convince VG it is worth considering. If you disagree, stay out of this thread from now on.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Mike_Bailey
.400 member

#301992 - 19/06/17 06:44 PM

VG, please carry on and let us know how it goes. If you get pissed at someone's ill judged post remember the adage "I will not embark on a battle of wits with an unarmed opponent". There is obviously a LOT of work and research that has gone into this project and I, for one, would like to see it out,
best
Mike

coll416
.275 member

Reged: 19/02/12
Loc: Central Queensland
      #301996 - 19/06/17 08:13 PM

Hi guys,

I understand the difference between trade quality blades and high quality custom knives, I fully respect the effort and skill required producing quality knives. I have butchered hundreds of cattle using various tradies with a preference for Green River because they are soft carbon steel easier to sharpen than stainless competitors.

More recent experiences with a Svord drop point and a Martiini puuko have highlighted my limitations in knowledge and skill resharpening! I recently skinned and quartered a big scrub bull with the Svord(factory edge) & the knife still popped hairs on my arm afterward. No way any trade blade could have done this without touch up in any way. I would use three or four knives with furious touching up on a steel to achieve the same in the past!

The challenge restoring the factory edge required a diamond plate, Arkansas soft stone (white) and a barbers strop impregnated with jewellers rouge. A steel does not work on the polished edge on the harder knives....

Unless you have serious experience using sharpening knives opt for the trade quality knives 'cos you won't be able to sharpen the damn thing!

Thank you to the professionals for their lovely pics of their labours!

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: The Safari Knife work in progress [Re: coll416]
      #302001 - 19/06/17 08:43 PM

Some people don't understand the concept of a thread now being off limits to them, and they can well start a thread elsewhere ... two posts deleted.

Irrespective of the pros and cons of the other persons arguments and comments, I would like this thread to continue. So am willing to keep in strictly on topic if VG decides to restart it.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Edited by NitroX (20/06/17 08:06 PM)

dracb
.300 member

Reged: 28/02/13
Loc: British Columbia
      #302018 - 20/06/17 06:22 AM

VG,

Your posts on the forge and the safari knife concept are the first ones I look for every morning while having breakfast. I very much enjoy and benefit from your sagas detailing development of a concept through to fabrication of the tools. I hope you will reconsider and continue reporting development of "THE SAFARI KNIFE".
dracb

--------------------
"The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

TexasJohn
.300 member

Reged: 06/04/10
Loc: Texas
Re: The Safari Knife work in progress [Re: dracb]
      #303102 - 16/07/17 09:04 PM

VonGruff,
Let's not let a little deviation end a good discussion. Back on track.........please post an update and some more knife making! I have really enjoyed this thread and like dracb, your post in general.

Thanks.
John

--------------------
John

"In the Texas Oilfield, everything that does not kill me today, gets another chance tomorrow."

Ahmed577
.333 member

Reged: 13/06/13
Loc: Western Australia
Re: The Safari Knife work in progress [Re: TexasJohn]
      #303103 - 16/07/17 09:49 PM

Boss battery of 6 has a knife included in the case of 10375 s/n which is the sxs 375 h&h with extra 303 barrels. My request is for a common beaver tail skinning knife blade ( 20 us $ ?? ) fitted with leftover stock wood. I have skinned and fleshed many hundreds of animals and never had a better knife. Also a knife comes with the PURDEY 200 year battery of 9. Cost 1000 pound and probably used mainly for symbolic rituals. I will love both daggers to death.

93x64mm
.416 member

Reged: 07/12/11
Loc: Nth QLD Australia
Re: The Safari Knife work in progress [Re: dracb]
      #303105 - 17/07/17 07:57 AM

Quote:

VG,

Your posts on the forge and the safari knife concept are the first ones I look for every morning while having breakfast. I very much enjoy and benefit from your sagas detailing development of a concept through to fabrication of the tools. I hope you will reconsider and continue reporting development of "THE SAFARI KNIFE".
dracb

Here, here!
The aim of this forum is the sharing of information & I must say gentlemen like VG certainly do so generously. Yes we all have may our preferences for things & they certainly may be different from others, but we still have to respect their view; even if whatever works for us or suits us better!
Keep up the good work gents
93x64mm

VonGruff
.400 member

Reged: 08/02/09
Loc: South Otago, New Zealand.
Re: The Safari Knife work in progress [Re: 93x64mm]
      #303109 - 17/07/17 11:54 AM

The first knife has been sent off to Troy for testing so expect to get some feedback in the next week or two.

--------------------
Von Gruff.

Exodus 20:1-17

Acts 4:10-12

Bidgee
.375 member

Reged: 08/04/15
Loc: Northern Rivers, NSW
      #303124 - 18/07/17 06:17 AM

Good stuff! Thanks for the update.

Great looking knife and sheath!

VonGruff
.400 member

Re: The Safari Knife work in progress [Re: Bidgee]
      #303168 - 21/07/17 03:46 PM

I have had another think on the concept multiple carry option and have come up with this to give the ability to carry left side horrizontal carry, right side vertical carry or left side multi angle canted carry. All this from the one sheath. Would be interested in any feedback, opinion, critique or otherwise on this new idea to make the safari knife more universal in use. Those buying this knife/sheath combo would have to nominate whether they were right or left handed but that is fairly standard for almost every type of sheath anyway.

--------------------
Von Gruff.

Edited by VonGruff (21/07/17 04:22 PM)

VonGruff
.400 member

#303208 - 23/07/17 09:08 AM

This will be a viable configuration although being a prototype it showed me that I need to shift the carry straps forward toward the handle by the width of the straps to make it more usable in the three positions.

For horizontal carry

for vertical carry

and for canted cross draw.

--------------------
Von Gruff.

prairie_ghost
.300 member

Reged: 19/07/08
Loc: casper, wy
      #303230 - 24/07/17 02:40 AM

How does the canted cross draw stay in place. Would it not have a tendency to ride up to the vertical position. Would another strap midway between the larger open side so the belt could go either above or below for a fixed position be desirable. Educate me please, this is a great sheath design.

VonGruff
.400 member

Re: The Safari Knife work in progress [Re: prairie_ghost]
      #303232 - 24/07/17 04:55 AM

With some weight above the belt its natural tendency is to stay canted

--------------------
Von Gruff.

93x64mm
.416 member

Reged: 07/12/11
Loc: Nth QLD Australia
      #303233 - 24/07/17 05:54 AM

Never thought about a multiple carry option before...Interesting!

Bidgee
.375 member

Reged: 08/04/15
Loc: Northern Rivers, NSW
Re: The Safari Knife work in progress [Re: 93x64mm]
      #303262 - 25/07/17 10:39 AM

The multiple carry options is a great idea, I really like the canted cross draw set up.

Great work!

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: The Safari Knife work in progress [Re: Bidgee]
      #303271 - 25/07/17 02:23 PM

In the horizonal position, other than friction, what stops a knife from slifing out?

I think such a sheath needs some sort of strap to ensure the knife stays in.

I do like the idea of the horizontal carrying position and have thought of it in the past. Few sheaths allow it.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 18232

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com