Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Where Wildlife Thrives....

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Africa & hunting dangerous game

Pages: 1
Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
Where Wildlife Thrives....
      #302467 - 28/06/17 01:58 PM

http://sportsafield.com/where-wildlife-thrives/

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
gryphon
.450 member

Reged: 01/01/03
Loc: Sambar ground/Victoria/Austral...
Re: Where Wildlife Thrives.... [Re: Ripp]
      #302475 - 28/06/17 07:28 PM

So with these reintro`s with elephants etc is it a good idea to reintro wolves in the States?

stirring!

--------------------
Get off the chair away from the desk and get out in the bush and enjoy life.

Ripp
.577 member

Re: Where Wildlife Thrives.... [Re: gryphon]
      #302478 - 29/06/17 12:18 AM

Quote:

So with these reintro`s with elephants etc is it a good idea to reintro wolves in the States?

stirring!

I didn't realize the area in Africa was a National Park???

Ripp

--------------------

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: Where Wildlife Thrives.... [Re: gryphon]
      #302481 - 29/06/17 12:42 AM

Quote:

stirring!

You cannot reintroduce a species that did not live there to start with.

The wolf deal, was the introduction of an invasive species - as the public has now found out, as the initial 50 wolves have multiplied to stretch from Michigan to California.

Isn't it interesting how all their bullshit about only the alpha male and female mating has come around to bite them in the ass - no wait, it isn't biting the criminals, that being the politicians, it's biting land owners, hunters and residents themselves, the very people it was meant to bite.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

Ripp
.577 member

Re: Where Wildlife Thrives.... [Re: DarylS]
      #302484 - 29/06/17 02:51 AM

Quote:

Quote:

stirring!

The wolf deal, was the introduction of an invasive species - as the public has now found out, as the initial 50 wolves have multiplied to stretch from Michigan to California.

Isn't it interesting how all their bullshit about only the alpha male and female mating has come around to bite them in the ass - no wait, it isn't biting the criminals, that being the politicians, it's biting land owners, hunters and residents themselves, the very people it was meant to bite.

Exactly..

Ripp

--------------------

Ripp
.577 member

Re: Where Wildlife Thrives.... [Re: Ripp]
      #302504 - 29/06/17 09:20 PM

And the crowd grows silent...

Ripp

--------------------

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: Where Wildlife Thrives.... [Re: DarylS]
      #302510 - 30/06/17 03:02 AM

Quote:

Quote:

stirring!

What no wolves existed in those areas?

I assume you are going to answer, the species was smaller in those areas than was introduced?

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: Where Wildlife Thrives.... [Re: NitroX]
      #302511 - 30/06/17 03:08 AM

Quote:

The King is Back

“As the apex predator, lions are a vital component of functioning ecosystems,” Sharp says. “However, without the incentive of trophy hunting, we could not afford to have as many lions as we do. Lions eat other animals, and in real terms consume hundreds of thousands of dollars’ worth of wildlife on the conservancy each year. Lion hunts are not cheap, but this is why. If we were unable to continue harvesting our lions, their population size would unfortunately need to come down, and this means culling them, as there is currently nowhere left in Africa to introduce a viable lion population.”

And this is a direct comparison beween wolves and lions. Predators need to be managed and controlled, else they eat available prey species to a much lower level.

Quote:

The future of places like BVC is crucial to the future of lions in Africa.

Lion ecology is widely misunderstood. The general public seems determined to vilify trophy hunting when, in reality, the loss of habitat, a rapidly-growing human population, and poaching for profit are the true risks to wild lions. To that end, the BVC has partnered with the University of Oxford Wildlife Conservation Unit to help study these cats in the BVC.

“Lions are an important cog that makes the ecological machine work, and we don’t want to lose the lions,” Sharp says. “Responsible trophy hunting cannot significantly affect lion population density or survival, as it is only the old males no longer contributing to the gene pool or protecting their pride that are hunted. Indeed, the lion abundance has increased exponentially despite, and indirectly because of, hunting.”

Sharp points out that the BVC’s success with lions has resulted in the area accounting for more than a third of the CITES harvest quota for the entire nation of Zimbabwe. In late 2015, BVC representatives, along with lion experts from Hwange Park and the Save Valley Conservancy, met with officials from the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service to discuss the future of lions and lion hunting in Zimbabwe. According to the official USFWS statement, “The Service found that sport-hunting, if well managed, may provide a benefit to the subspecies. Well-managed conservation programs use trophy-hunting revenues to sustain lion conservation, research and anti-poaching activities. However, the Service found that not all trophy hunting programs are scientifically based or managed in a sustainable way. So in addition to protecting both lion subspecies under the ESA, we created a permitting mechanism to support and strengthen the accountability of conservation programs in other nations.”

The fact that there are any lions at all in the conservancy is a testament to the BVC’s commitment to conservation. While lion populations continue to decline across much of the continent, the Bubye Valley’s population of big cats remains stable thanks to careful management bolstered by ecological research. More importantly, the future of lions in the valley is a benefit to the shareholders who live alongside these cats. Since there are more wild lions on hunting areas today than in parks and preserves in Africa, it is time that the world began to understand why the future of places like the BVC is congruent with the future of the lion as a species.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 49 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2264

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com