Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: How to choose a buffalo rifle.....

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Big Bore Rifles

Pages: 1
Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
How to choose a buffalo rifle.....
      #302219 - 22/06/17 11:19 PM

https://www.americanhunter.org/articles/...m_campaign=0617

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: How to choose a buffalo rifle..... [Re: Ripp]
      #302227 - 23/06/17 12:18 AM

Worth adding here. Philip writes a good article.

How to Choose a Buffalo Rifle

by Philip Massaro - Thursday, June 15, 2017

Cape buffalo. No matter how bad my day is going, thinking back to being on safari, chasing those big, black bovines across whatever terrain Africa has to offer simply picks me up. The huge helmet-like bosses, the drop of curled horn, the cattle smell; it all excites a buffalo hunter beyond words. Rifle and bullet technology is always changing, and what we considered gospel 40 years ago may need to be revisited.

The law across Africa agrees upon the .375” bore as a minimum bore diameter for dangerous game—including buffalo—the caliber debate starts there, but that's a different story. There has been the double rifle vs. bolt rifle debate, which has raged on for a century, and probably isn’t going to stop anytime soon. However, the cost of labor (with regard to double rifles), the increasing cost of air travel, and the cost of safari itself may make a hunter sharpen his pencil when shopping for a buffalo rifle. It would require a trust fund (which I sadly do not have) and a heck of a lot of time to test a wide variety of different buffalo rifles, but I’d like to share with you some buffalo rifles I’ve loved, from the rather inexpensive to the top of the line. These rifles have all proven themselves, and will give you some insight into some setups that work.

The lightest is a Winchester Model 70 Super Express, in the post-’64 push-feed configuration, chambered in .375 Holland & Holland Magnum. It’s topped with a Leupold 1.5-5x20 scope, and will put three Federal Trophy Bonded Bear Claws into a sub-MOA group at 100 yards. Many folks—sometimes myself included—doubt the push-feed system, but I’ve put thousands of rounds though this rifle, with no issues whatsoever. It handles a multitude of plains game equally well, and for a sportsman on a budget, who wants one rifle (bigger than the ’06 class) for a number of duties, this may represent the best bang for the buck.

My good friend and booking agent Dave deMoulpied is the proud owner of an American Hunting Rifles .416 Rigby. Based on a dressed-up and re-worked CZ550 action, Dave’s AHR is a rock-solid, controlled round feed rifle, that’ll put three 400-grain Peregrine bullets into ¾-inch groups. It is topped with a Swarovski Z6 1-6x in Talley detachable mounts, a scope that gathers all sorts of light for shooting in the dappled forests. The .416 Rigby isn’t quite as versatile—across the board—as the .375 H&H, but oh! does it hammer a buffalo. The .416 Rigby’s reputation is well known, and with those modern softpoints, it has gotten a definite face-lift. The iron sights, replete with a large orange front bead, are regulated for both 50 and 100 yards. Dave has had the barrel shortened to 21”, with minimal loss of velocity, yet the ease of maneuvering in the think bush is a huge gain.

We all have our firsts, and my first buffalo was taken in Zambia with another Winchester 70, but this one is one of the last of the New Haven rifles, chambered for .416 Remington Magnum. Using a Leupold 1.5-5x20 in Leupold QR mounts, this offers the same ballistics as the .416 Rigby, with one extra cartridge in the magazine. Using the large claw-extractor that the pre-’64 Winchesters are famous for, this rifle is utterly dependable. It puts three handloaded 400-grain Swift A-Frames into one-MOA and that combination of cartridge and bullet put my first buffalo down with the first shot. The wide array of bullets—both soft and solid—available in .416” diameter makes this rifle and affordable and versatile choice.

My absolute favorite buffalo rifle is my Heym Express by Martini, a bolt gun in the classic .404 Jeffery. Stocked perfectly, this rifle fits me like a glove—an important feature for any buffalo rifle. The iron sights seem to align themselves, and when I attach the Leupold fixed 2.5x Compact scope, the balance and quick handling characteristics of this fine rifle are maintained. With handloaded 400-grain Woodleigh Hydrostatically Stabilized Solids at 2,280 fps, this rifle will handle any dangerous game, including elephant. I handed it off to my good buddy Chris Sells to shoot his buffalo at over 200 yards in the Mozambique swamps, and he dropped it where it stood. It’ll print 1½-inch groups with Norma’s African PH ammo, using the 450-grain Woodleigh Weldcore softs and solids. It’s not a cheap rifle, but once you shoot one, you’ll be spoiled for life.

My good pal Mike McNulty relies on his Ruger RSM in .458 Lott to hunt buffalo. Retrofitted with a good fiberglass stock, Mike’s Lott throws 500-grain Woodleigh Weldcore bullets very well, and with both iron sights and a removable scope, it makes a fully dependable buffalo rifle. The controlled round feed bolt performs under all sorts of conditions, and the stock fit makes a normally hard-kicking rifle a pleasure to shoot.

That double vs. bolt argument? The double rifle is definitely a viable buffalo rifle, and the modern optics and projectiles have made those classic calibers even more potent. I recently used the new Heym Model 89B on a buffalo hunt in Mozambique’s savannah. Chambered in .450/400 3” Nitro Express, the 89B offered a low-recoil, fast-handling double that seems as though it was made to be a buffalo rifle. While the price tag is hefty, probably 10x that of most bolt guns, among the doubles it represents a very good value. If you want to experience a classic African hunt, the double is the way to go. If, like me, iron sights tend to be a bit fuzzy with older eyes, the Heym can easily be fitted with a Trijicon RMR or Docter red dot optic. The ability to fire that second shot immediately is a wonderful insurance policy.

These are just a few of my favorites, and there are other good choices. The CZ550 makes a good platform, as does the Legendary Arms Works Big Five rifle. In the end, you need to be confident in your choice. You need a rifle that absolutely will not let you down, preferably with the option to remove the scope should you need quick access to the iron sights, in a caliber worthy of the tenacious Cape buffalo. And after all, the preparation for a safari is half the fun.

https://www.americanhunter.org/articles/...m_campaign=0617

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: How to choose a buffalo rifle..... [Re: NitroX]
      #302231 - 23/06/17 12:34 AM

My choices.

I have only ever shot "buffalo" with my .375 H&H Magnum, my 9.3x74R double rifle and my .450 No.2 Nitro Express double.

My first "big bore" was a .577/450 Martini Henry sporting rifle by Rozier. Never shot anything with it I'm afraid. One day ...

My first real sporting big bore was my Whitworth Mauser 98 in .375 H&H Magnum. Used in 2002 to hunt my one and only cape buffalo. Two shots, the second because the bull appeared to be "improving". An exciting hunt not because of the buffalo, the hunting and fun was excellent, but exciting due to the human "interaction" in Zimbabwe. Have hunted cape buffalo since then, but never took one that trip unfortunately. Shot some other bigger beasties with it such as scrub bulls, plus hard to put down donkeys, and endless pigs, and had it along with some water buffalo hunts, but never shot a WB with it. However our friend JB (larcher) did use it to shoot his water buffalo in 2015.

Generally I like hunting water buffalo with my Jeffery double in .450 No.2 Nitro Express. ALL of the big bulls I have shot have been with this rifle. And 480 gr Woodleigh RNSPs and FMJs when necessary. Plus a couple of elephant. It works and provides confidence. Scrub bulls fall to it no problem as well.

My 9.3x74T U/O Tikka double rifle went on the buffalo cull around 2005 or 2006. Worked well, is an ejector, so quick reloading when shooting multiple buffalo in a herd, when one starts to get back up, hit it again. With a scope also allowed brain shots. But learned to never take a brain shot with the second barrel when the first is empty ... because you can miss the brain. Then a chest shot is far better and usually allows time to reload. Scrub bulls, donkeys, horses, pigs.

I will no doubt use my Jeffery again and again. Next hunt I do hope to try out the .404 Jeffery in a Mauser M03 on water buffalo. Scoped and accurate. I think it will provide the ncessary goods quite adequately.

10-bore side by side Westley Richards SHOULD be the next choice. Been too slack to organise it, if the gods smiled it could be ready but very unlikely. An excuse for a future hunt just to use it.

A .45/70 is in the safe, a Baikal scrubber. But will probably not use on buffalo. Would be fun on pigs and assorted other game though.

A .58 Pdersoli BP ML? Hmmmm, it would need to shoot far far better before it was tried. Might not hit the side of a buffalo! :O

Got another one in the safe. Haven't ever mentioned that one yet. Does have two barrels, hammers, and burns BP in brass cases.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
      #302232 - 23/06/17 12:36 AM

Good stuff, there.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#302234 - 23/06/17 12:40 AM

I would try the 8x68S on water buffalo as well. Except for some chances, think it should be able to take a buffalo with good bulets and properly chosen shot placement. If a buffalo charges, the bets are off though .... then better wait coolly (ha ha, yeah right) for a FMJ brain shot ...

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Ripp
.577 member

#302246 - 23/06/17 02:28 AM

I may be a bit redundant but my choice is the .416 whether Rigby or Remington..400gr A-Frames..they put a serious hurt on buff..Have shot 3 with that combo thus far and 1 with my .375 using 270 Gr A-Frames..this one was actually a western cape buffalo in Cameroon..

In my humble opinion, there was a noticeable difference in reaction by the animal between the 2 calibers..should I go back I would use on of my .416's again..if using a bolt...BUT I do have a WR 470 double that I DO plan to take the next time I hunt over there for buffalo...think that is a must do..

Ripp

--------------------

Edited by Ripp (23/06/17 04:43 AM)

Homer
.416 member

Reged: 07/04/09
Loc: Canberra, Australia
      #302269 - 23/06/17 07:57 AM

G'Day Fella's,

Thanks for Sharing Ripp.
Another great article by Phil M, and some great info from you blokes as well!

Regards
Homer

--------------------
"Beware the Lolly Pop of Mediocrity,
Lick it Once and You Will Suck Forever"

Ripp
.577 member

Re: How to choose a buffalo rifle..... [Re: Homer]
      #302272 - 23/06/17 11:32 AM

Sitting here having a cocktail and dreaming of Africa. Thinking about what a great adventure it would be if some of us from this website would all go on a buffalo hunt together.

--------------------

gryphon
.450 member

Reged: 01/01/03
Loc: Sambar ground/Victoria/Austral...
      #302275 - 23/06/17 11:37 AM

Yes we will go with you Art,its your shout lol!

Shout,Aussie for = you pay. Lol.

--------------------
Get off the chair away from the desk and get out in the bush and enjoy life.

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
      #302276 - 23/06/17 11:39 AM

Siting here are the computer, thinking about the root canal I have scheduled for the 29th.

LOL - not quite the same, Ripp. I say "LOL" - but am in a piss-pot full of F--ing pain right now. Bloody live-tooth crown decided to kill it's root and abscess.

Thinking I'd go on that trip too, Gryphon, if guaranteed temps no higher than 75F.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

Waidmannsheil
.400 member

Reged: 19/04/13
Loc: Melbourne Australia
      #302283 - 23/06/17 03:09 PM

Art, sounds like a great idea, it certainly would be fun especially as everyone on here has very similar tastes in guns, ammo, hunting ethics and ethics in general. You probably find that there would not be to many arguments around camp. It would be one hell of a trip and I think most people would have a silly grin on their head the entire time. At least one can still dream, great dream though.
Ah well, back to work I go.

Waidmannsheil.

--------------------
There is nothing wrong with vegetarian food, so long as there is meat with it.

Ripp
.577 member

Re: How to choose a buffalo rifle..... [Re: gryphon]
      #302290 - 23/06/17 10:34 PM

Quote:

Yes we will go with you Art,its your shout lol!

Shout,Aussie for = you pay. Lol.

O.K ..O.K....I pick up the tab..but can only take 2 -- you guys figure it out..
----

Sorry about the tooth Daryl--that sucks...ibuprofen take the edge off??

"IBUPROFEN is a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug. It is used for dental pain, fever, headaches or migraines, osteoarthritis, rheumatoid arthritis, or painful monthly periods. It can also relieve minor aches and pains caused by a cold, flu, or sore throat."??

--
Quote:

Art, sounds like a great idea, it certainly would be fun especially as everyone on here has very similar tastes in guns, ammo, hunting ethics and ethics in general. You probably find that there would not be to many arguments around camp. It would be one hell of a trip and I think most people would have a silly grin on their head the entire time. At least one can still dream, great dream though.
Ah well, back to work I go.

Waidmannsheil.

Agreed---would be a great time..weird perhaps, but I am nornmally very relaxed while in Africa..have NEVER had an argument in camp with others while there..have seen several drink way too much and make a complete ass of themselves..but, such is life..

Serious, would be a great plan...one we should consider...my double wants out of the safe..

Ripp

--------------------

Edited by Ripp (23/06/17 10:37 PM)

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#302414 - 27/06/17 07:34 AM

If I win a SUBSTANTIAL lottery win, it would be on. One chance in how many billions?

But everyone has to treat me like an Arab princeling. Ha ha ha.

Would be great fun. Perhaps one day the Aussie equivalent, water buffalo, is more doable.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Ripp
.577 member

#302434 - 27/06/17 10:53 PM

Quote:

If I win a SUBSTANTIAL lottery win, it would be on. One chance in how many billions?

But everyone has to treat me like an Arab princeling. Ha ha ha.

Would be great fun. Perhaps one day the Aussie equivalent, water buffalo, is more doable.

Set it up---I will travel on down...

Ripp

--------------------

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 54 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 5220

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com