Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Two weeks in the NT

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Australia, NZ & the South Pacific

Pages: 1
BillG500
.300 member

Reged: 16/10/14
Loc: Australia
Two weeks in the NT
      #301977 - 19/06/17 04:28 PM

Just sitting around in Darwin at a mates ready to fly home to WA after a fortnight in the NT.
I normally travel to the NT twice a year to help a mate set up for his upcoming safari season and pack up at the end before the wet. This year has been a big wet and it is still pretty wet considering it is June, but it is now starting to dry out nicely.
The drive in to camp took 14hrs after getting stuck in the odd wash out and having to corduroy a few others. I think we got to camp at 9.30pm absolutely knackered and the old camp showing the signs of non habitation for 6 to 8 months, with grass 5ft tall all around and the kitchen tarp shredded from summer storms.
We were not long to bed after the first day and even being woken in the night by a buffalo walking through camp didn't keep us awake for too long.
I'll add some photos and more when time allows, as I'm only on my iPad at the moment.
Regards

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: Two weeks in the NT [Re: BillG500]
      #301990 - 19/06/17 06:36 PM

Looking forward to the photos. The camps are so civilised by the time clients arrived. Sounds a different story straight after the Wet. Never been in Arnhemland that early, but have been further South and in th Kymberley in April and early May. From the sounds of it we were lucky the Wet finished early that year. I think we were the first vehicle to cross the Victoria River on the Buchanan Highway that year. At least the first after the grader. Without the grader cutting the banks, it would have been a massive challenge. 1983.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Claydog
.375 member

Reged: 17/08/12
Loc: Katherine, Northern Territory ...
Re: Two weeks in the NT [Re: NitroX]
      #302021 - 20/06/17 07:42 AM

BillG that wasn't you I met on the Central Arnhem Road out side Conways Station with GP was it? He was heading out to his camp that morning. I was going to our rifle range for a few hunters to sight in.

BillG500
.300 member

Reged: 16/10/14
Loc: Australia
Re: Two weeks in the NT [Re: Claydog]
      #302054 - 20/06/17 04:55 PM

No that wasn't us. We went down on the Saturday of the Barunga festival and came back Friday just gone. We were up on the Wilton and it was still pretty wet around there, how was it where you were?

Claydog
.375 member

Reged: 17/08/12
Loc: Katherine, Northern Territory ...
Re: Two weeks in the NT [Re: BillG500]
      #302055 - 20/06/17 05:32 PM

Yeah that was the day. We started hunting that morning of the festival. I was talking to Greg that Saturday morning and he said he was waiting on some of his boys. Pretty dry now. Have been hunting since the end of may. Plenty of ground water but the creeks and river are at the usual level. Plenty of good animals about.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 11 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 1938

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com