Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Question on Alberta bighorn hunt.

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in the Americas

Pages: 1
Sportingbookworm
.275 member

Reged: 10/05/17
Loc: Samara, Russia
Question on Alberta bighorn hunt.
      #301720 - 13/06/17 01:56 PM

Just curious - where does it stand in the "great slam" game? Do most dedicated sheep hunters start their career with one? Is it one of the rarest tags that many "slammers" desperately need to complete a "grand slam"? Is it somewhere in between?

--------------------
https://sportingbookworm.wordpress.com/

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
wjw
.275 member

Reged: 05/06/10
Loc: b.c.
Re: Question on Alberta bighorn hunt. [Re: Sportingbookworm]
      #301724 - 13/06/17 04:55 PM

For a North American "Grand Slam" a Rocky Mountain Bighorn probably rates behind a Desert Bighorn followed by the Dall and Stone. For some hunters the Bighorns may be reversed. A further factor may also be whether the hunter is a resident or not.

Bill

Sarg
.400 member

Reged: 20/01/07
Loc: Nil
      #301725 - 13/06/17 05:17 PM

Back in the day most people started with a Dall Sheep, then Stone or Rocky Mountain Big Horn, then the very hard to draw & expensive Desert Big Horn !

I got a 40+in Dall Ram long ago, even these are very exy now days !

You would be better off hunting the Rams you have in Russia, Snow Sheep, both Yakut & Kamchatka, I believe they is some truly awesome hunting in your country ?

Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
Re: Question on Alberta bighorn hunt. [Re: Sarg]
      #301726 - 13/06/17 10:40 PM

Quote:

Back in the day most people started with a Dall Sheep, then Stone or Rocky Mountain Big Horn, then the very hard to draw & expensive Desert Big Horn !

I got a 40+in Dall Ram long ago, even these are very exy now days !

You would be better off hunting the Rams you have in Russia, Snow Sheep, both Yakut & Kamchatka, I believe they is some truly awesome hunting in your country ?

Agree with the above--think many even today start with the Dall and then move forward to either a Rocky Mountain Big Horn or Stone, depending on finances, where they live, etc...and yes, finally end with the very expensive desert...

I was lucky enough to draw a Rocky Mountain Bighorn tag in my home state which is considered one of, if not the best area in the world for this species..hunted it on my own as no guide is required here for these..My next of the four will probably be either Dall or Stone..but have been busy hunting Ibex in Europe and Kyrgyzstan along with Tur in Azerbaijan..feel those are harder hunts so trying to get them done first, not getting any younger.. Honestly as far as mountain hunts, seriously looking at Marco Polo for now..or Blue Sheep..

Ripp

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

Sportingbookworm
.275 member

#301752 - 14/06/17 02:53 PM

Thank you, now I'm beginning to get the picture.

Quote:

Unfortunately, I'm not in sheep hunting income league yet. To be honest, I need this info for marketing purposes. There's a great promo offer on Bighorn coming, and I've got to position it in front of the right eyes.

--------------------

Sarg
.400 member

Reged: 20/01/07
Loc: Nil
      #301755 - 14/06/17 08:07 PM

I see you are a long way from the Sheep areas, will you be offering Alberta Sheep hunts or Russian ?

Sportingbookworm
.275 member

#301763 - 15/06/17 01:13 AM

Alberta Rocky Mountain Bighorn, horseback and tent camps, with one of the best outfitters (or so they say) and 15% off regular price. Does that sound cool to you?

--------------------

Sportingbookworm
.275 member

#301797 - 15/06/17 09:39 PM

Anyway. Hope this doesn't violate any rules about advertising - the offer is with Willmore Outfitters, but the $5,000 discount is only available if you order the trip through BookYourHunt. Go www.bookyourhunt.com and search for bighorn sheep in Alberta, it'll pop out right away - or check BookYourHunt on FB, Twitter, Instagram or Google+, there are direct links to the trip there.

--------------------

Ripp
.577 member

#301804 - 15/06/17 11:48 PM

I would ask for lots of references ..
The sheep they are showing on that site are NOT huge by any stretch, IMHO..

$30,000 seems high to me for what it is ..did not spend a lot of time checking it out..but..

Ripp

--------------------

Sportingbookworm
.275 member

Re: Question on Alberta bighorn hunt. [Re: Ripp]
      #301807 - 16/06/17 01:02 AM

I don't know

Willmore outfitters are owned by Ryan Kohler, who also runs Wild TV, and afaik his reputation in the field is impeccable.

As for the price... 30K a hunt sure sounds like a lot. But suppose you want to go bighorn hunting in North America - what are your options? That is, aside from drawing a tag, and that, as I understand, is about as probable as winning at Vegas. Where else can you buy a tag over the counter, if there are any still left for this September - and how much will they charge?

--------------------

Ripp
.577 member

#301808 - 16/06/17 02:22 AM

Quote:

I don't know

Willmore outfitters are owned by Ryan Kohler, who also runs Wild TV, and afaik his reputation in the field is impeccable.

As for the price... 30K a hunt sure sounds like a lot. But suppose you want to go bighorn hunting in North America - what are your options? That is, aside from drawing a tag, and that, as I understand, is about as probable as winning at Vegas. Where else can you buy a tag over the counter, if there are any still left for this September - and how much will they charge?

I agree--all I meant is the pics they post that I "briefly " viewed were not of outstanding rams..for 30K I can probably pick up a cancellatione stone hunt..which is typically in the 40K range..

Just my observation..they are probably a great crew..hope it all works out for you

Ripp

--------------------

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 24 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2734

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com