Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Seearcy .470 for sale at Greg Martin Auctions

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Pages: 1
Bwana
.224 member

Reged: 07/03/05
Loc: Monroe, Michigan
Seearcy .470 for sale at Greg Martin Auctions
      #29049 - 07/04/05 10:51 AM

Hey Guys,

I thought someone might be interested in this .470 Searcy Double Rifle for sale. It will be auctioned April 25 - 27th. Looks like it might be a good buy.

http://67.155.195.2:8050/FMPro?-db=GMA_Inventory.fp5&-format=inv_detail.html&-lay=web&-RecID=37710&-Find

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
chrispie
.275 member

Reged: 30/01/04
Loc: New England, USA
Re: Seearcy .470 for sale at Greg Martin Auctions [Re: Bwana]
      #29064 - 07/04/05 02:26 PM

also if you look at lot#2243, holland & holland sidelock in 450/400 cased with an extra set of 28g barrels, looks in really nice shape, starting at 12k to 18k, I'm tempted to through in a bid at that.

tinker
.416 member

Reged: 12/03/05
Loc: Nevada
Re: Seearcy .470 for sale at Greg Martin Auctions [Re: chrispie]
      #29066 - 07/04/05 02:29 PM

I looked through that catalog of items.
Lots of nice stuff in there.
My favorite is Amelia Earhart's jacket.
I might just have to show up and make a field trip of it.

--Tinker

--------------------
--Self-Appointed Colonel, DRSS--

"It IS a dangerous game, and so named for a reason, and you can't play from the keyboard. " --Some Old Texan...

clark7781
.375 member

Reged: 28/10/04
Loc: Fairfax County, Virginia, USA
Re: Seearcy .470 for sale at Greg Martin Auctions [Re: chrispie]
      #29078 - 07/04/05 10:59 PM

Yeah, a nice looking H&H. However, is the case length one of the odd balls? 2 3/8ths

Here's the full description for anyone interested:

Serial no. 17812, the 26-inch side by side rifle barrels of .450/.400 2 3/8 express caliber, with maker and 98 New Bond Street, London address inscribed on right barrel, and "WINNERS OF ALL THE 'FIELD' RIFLE TRIALS, LONDON" on left side; London proofmarks and "400 EX" on bottom of barrel lug; matted quarter rib with 3-leaf express sights graduated for 150, 200 and 250 yards; blade front sight with silver bead; rifle built for left-handed shooter; extractors; double triggers; automatic safety with aperture allowing bolting. The EXTRA SET of shotgun barrels of 29 13/16-inch length, in 28 gauge, with full chokes, made by Armi Borghese Sarezzo, Val Trompia, and so marked; bottom of barrel lug with Italian proofmarks, and matching serial no. 17812; matted solid rib; barrel breech also marked ACCIATO VICKERS; both sets of barrels with splinter fore-ends, and both with serial no. marking 17812. Deluxe engraving approaching Royal Grade on breech, sidelocks, triggerguard, fore-end mounts, pistolgrip cap, and top lever; bolted safety with gold-inlaid markings; rifle barrels browned, the shotgun barrels blackened, with matching finish to fore-end mounts; case-hardened breech, with blued triggerguard; case-hardened fore-end mounts. Anson-Deeley push button release fore-ends; blued fore-end mounts on shotgun. Varnished and checkered select walnut stock, with crescent cheekpiece on right side; ribbed horn buttplate of shotgun style; oval escutcheon inlay on bottom of stock. Length of pull 14 5/8-inches. Brassbound oak and leather case of period, but not original to this gun; lined in red felt.

--------------------
Clark

Double Rifle Shooters Society
.500 NE and .577 NE

nitro476
.300 member

Reged: 21/10/04
Re: Seearcy .470 for sale at Greg Martin Auctions [Re: clark7781]
      #29088 - 08/04/05 04:00 AM

Do you happen to deal in double rifles?

clark7781
.375 member

Reged: 28/10/04
Loc: Fairfax County, Virginia, USA
Re: Seearcy .470 for sale at Greg Martin Auctions [Re: nitro476]
      #29089 - 08/04/05 04:28 AM

I don't...

--------------------
Clark

Double Rifle Shooters Society
.500 NE and .577 NE

nitro476
.300 member

#29094 - 08/04/05 06:23 AM

That would be a bargain if it goes for 3 to 4 K as they are suggesting!

tinker
.416 member

Re: Seearcy .470 for sale at Greg Martin Auctions [Re: nitro476]
      #29105 - 08/04/05 12:09 PM

Did you look closely at that top rib near the breechfaces?
The fair colored line, looks like it might be the solder or brazing of the ribs, seems a bit funny.
Could just be was from them having shined it up for the photo, but it looks like a serewed up rib solder joint, in that photo it even looks like the chamber is ring bulged.

go figure.
I'd hesitate on that until I got to hold it and see with my own eyes.

--Tinker

--------------------

"It IS a dangerous game, and so named for a reason, and you can't play from the keyboard. " --Some Old Texan...

nitro476
.300 member

Re: Seearcy .470 for sale at Greg Martin Auctions [Re: tinker]
      #29147 - 08/04/05 10:52 PM

Hello Tinker,

A good catch on the rib solder job! My compliments. As far as the chamber bulge goes, I really can't tell from the photograph. I feel that you are correct in wanting to personally look the gun over before buying it!

I was discussing the possibility of purchasing a Merkel 160 double from a dealer in Australia, and he advised me to buy another brand as he is having nothing but trouble with the Merkel's shooting off the face in 50 to 60 rounds! That is unfortunate. As much as I hate to admit it, I have never had an English gun shoot of of the face. I suppose you still get what you pay for and nothing else.

tinker
.416 member

Some nice guns... [Re: nitro476]
      #29167 - 09/04/05 01:59 AM

"...As much as I hate to admit it..."

Heh heh heh...

I have no love at all for the english, but I also have to admit that they have made some very nice guns.
Far as this double goes, I wouldn't call it a dead dog till I got to see it.
The light reflection at that particular point on the chamber seems to bend. Could be bad lighting, could be from the finish job at the factory, could be my monitor...

Still, I want that Flight Jacket!!
When I was a little boy I wanted to get out and find her, to save her so I could have her for my own. That was when I was five or so years old, I hadn't quite put it together that even if I'd had found her she'd be waaaay to old to be 'my girlfriend'
Even when I got over the initial shock of what gravity the time frame had, I kept my crush on her. Mmm... I'd use that thing as a pillowcase.

--Tinker

--------------------

Rell
.375 member

Reged: 03/12/04
Loc: Oyster Bay, NY, USA
Re: Some nice guns... [Re: tinker]
      #29186 - 09/04/05 08:00 AM

I talked with a clerk at the auction house. He looked at it while I was on the phone. He says there appears to be a "wavyness" in front of the right chamber, he could not say it was a bulge, but there is definatly something a little fishy about it.

--------------------
450-400, 9.3x74r and 7x65r.

tinker
.416 member

Wavyness... [Re: Rell]
      #29187 - 09/04/05 08:32 AM

Uuuhh - huuuh...

Think this might be one of those cases calling for the 'pocket chamber cast kit'

Can't you see it now?
Thermos bottle on the table, super sly pour of 'coffee' with extra covert pout tube into right chamber, dab of chocolate chip cookie slipped into the throat...

looks like someone got frisky with the 700x at the reloading bench there.

--Tinker

--------------------

JohnTheGreek
.300 member

Reged: 16/11/04
Loc: Cairo, Egypt
Re: Wavyness... [Re: tinker]
      #29193 - 09/04/05 09:52 AM

yup...the gun is a piece of SH*#.....NO ONE should bid on it!

Best,

JohnTheGreek

500grains
.416 member

Reged: 16/02/04
Loc: Salt Lake City, Utah USA
Merkel [Re: JohnTheGreek]
      #29199 - 09/04/05 12:35 PM

In reply to:

I was discussing the possibility of purchasing a Merkel 160 double from a dealer in Australia, and he advised me to buy another brand as he is having nothing but trouble with the Merkel's shooting off the face in 50 to 60 rounds!

YIKES!!!

bjlooper
.224 member

Reged: 27/03/05
Loc: Mississippi, USA
      #29309 - 11/04/05 01:57 PM

I'm sorry to hear that this rifle has problems I was hoping to bid on it. I'm in the market for a used entry level double for my first african hunt. Does anyone know of one for sale.
Thanks

tinker
.416 member

Hardware and the bottom line... [Re: bjlooper]
      #29326 - 12/04/05 01:11 AM

This is a good example for you then about how you need to make double darn sure you know what you're getting into.

Something you might want to do is tell yourself what your budget is.
Then find every dealer within the radius you want to travel within for the purpose of dealing with somene on a rifle.
Then visit all of the dealers within that radius and tell them what you want and what you're ready to spend. Consider that at that point you might need to adjust both your price level and the limits of how far you're ready to travel.
What you need is a gun that fits and that will safely be there for you when some angry ass freight train with tusks of an animal is charging your way with the intent to turn you into jelly.
That thing has to be able to fire outta both sides of it's snout without a misfire or blowing up in your face.
And it's gotta be accurate within the call of the job with the ammunition that will do for the game you need to whack.

That's just my opinion though.
Something you might want to consider too.

--Tinker

--------------------

new_guy
Sponsor

Reged: 10/08/04
Loc: Texas
Re: Some nice guns... [Re: Rell]
      #29329 - 12/04/05 02:46 AM

FWIW - I can't say whether anything is wrong with this one or not, BUT as a rule of thumb... buyer beware of "Auction Guns"... guns that have "problems" notoriously end up at auction - usually b/c no dealer is willing to take the gun with its existing problems. That's not to say that all guns at auction have something wrong with them, but most dealers would agree that a lot of guns with problems end up at auction.

Case in point, why would what appears to be a good condition DR go for an estimates 30%-40% of replacement cost? Either the auction organizer knows little about the gun (unlikely-given the group) or something is astray with it... who knows? But it's a lot of money and i'm relatively sure there is no "3-day inspection period" after purchase.

On the other hand, if the gun did have a problem in such a functional way - how can the auction co. get by with not disclosing that information?

--------------------
www.heymUSA.com

SBT
.224 member

Reged: 03/01/03
Loc: Jackson Hole, Wyoming
Re: Some nice guns... [Re: new_guy]
      #30079 - 26/04/05 02:28 PM

Today was the auction, did anybody bid?

LGF
.275 member

Reged: 27/04/05
Loc: Kenya/Berkeley, CA
Re: Some nice guns... [Re: SBT]
      #30112 - 27/04/05 06:38 AM

I discovered this website on Sunday, saw the post about the Searcy, went to the auction on Monday, and bought it.

I have its sister in Kenya, where I work on lion conservation. Can't practice over there, as ammo is very difficult to bring in, but I carry it several times weekly. Had such a good time practicing with it when I had it here in California that I have been casually looking for another double to play with when I am here. When I saw the post couldn't resist going to check it out. First talked to Butch (who, as others have said here, is a most excellent fellow) and he assured me that here is nothing wrong with the gun. There is indeed a bit of solder showing at the breech end of the rib; the line that was the subject of discussion here is where the barrel joins the monobloc. Ended up paying over the estimate (after all, the kids don't really need to go to college), but will have loads of fun with it, and will be much better prepared when that buffalo finally has a go at me.

Edited by LGF (28/04/05 03:38 AM)

500Nitro
.450 member

Reged: 06/01/03
Loc: Victoria, Australia
Re: Some nice guns... [Re: LGF]
      #30114 - 27/04/05 08:01 AM

"I was discussing the possibility of purchasing a Merkel 160 double from a dealer in Australia, and he advised me to buy
another brand as he is having nothing but trouble with the Merkel's shooting off the face in 50 to 60 rounds! "

OK - I hear this repeated over and over.

Would someone who Actually owns a Merkel that has shot it off the face USING CORRECTLY
LOADED ROUNDS IN 375H&H or 470 Nitro please post the information here. I am not interested
in hearing from someone who knows someone who shot his off the face without knowing everything
to do with the load.

I own 2 Merkels - a 375H&H and a 470 Nitro.Both have fired over 60 rounds, some well up on
the load / pressure (These are actual chronographed loads while testing) and my 2 guns are still on the face.
I could easily take my Merkels (or ANY double rifle) off the face within 10 rounds if I wanted but I would
prefer to keep the guns.

The number of "myths" that get rehashed and believed on AR and NE without factual data is beyond
comprehension.

500 Nitro

500Nitro
.450 member

Reged: 06/01/03
Loc: Victoria, Australia
Re: Seearcy .470 for sale at Greg Martin Auctions [Re: tinker]
      #30115 - 27/04/05 08:03 AM

Tinker,

"Did you look closely at that top rib near the breechfaces?
The fair colored line, looks like it might be the solder or brazing of the ribs, seems a bit funny."

Have a look at some English guns when you get a chance. You'll see plenty more
if you look and nothing is wrong with the guns.

500 Nitro

Pages: 1

Extra information
1 registered and 123 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 5161

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com