Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Taxidermy Question

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Africa & hunting dangerous game

Pages: 1
Postman
.375 member

Reged: 25/09/13
Loc: Canada
Taxidermy Question
      #301084 - 01/06/17 05:19 AM

So after a 3 year wait, my 1st buffalo is being taxidermied. It sat in the Capivi for a year drying in the salt, with some time I believe in a locked government quarantine tent. Then after dipping and packing it made its way to Canada to sit around at the taxidermist until they recently started processing it for mounting.

Before I ask my question I want to make ABSOLUTELY CLEAR that I am NOT a tape measure hunter in any way, shape or form and I am brimming with pride at the mere thought of my buffalo! "My" criteria for calling a buffalo a trophy is first and foremost an old mature bull combined with a great and memorable hunt, and I achieved both in spades!!!!

So now to my question: Is it normal to see shrinkage of the skull / horns through the aging / drying process? It measured (SCI measurement method) 267.5 cm or 107 inches green, and a recent measure was 102 inches or 255 cm. It would seem to me that that is a great deal of shrinkage. I'm thinking a measurement flaw from green to dry vs actual shrinkage.

Thoughts?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
Re: Taxidermy Question [Re: Postman]
      #301139 - 02/06/17 04:47 AM

Quote:

So after a 3 year wait, my 1st buffalo is being taxidermied. It sat in the Capivi for a year drying in the salt, with some time I believe in a locked government quarantine tent. Then after dipping and packing it made its way to Canada to sit around at the taxidermist until they recently started processing it for mounting.

Before I ask my question I want to make ABSOLUTELY CLEAR that I am NOT a tape measure hunter in any way, shape or form and I am brimming with pride at the mere thought of my buffalo! "My" criteria for calling a buffalo a trophy is first and foremost an old mature bull combined with a great and memorable hunt, and I achieved both in spades!!!!

So now to my question: Is it normal to see shrinkage of the skull / horns through the aging / drying process? It measured (SCI measurement method) 267.5 cm or 107 inches green, and a recent measure was 102 inches or 255 cm. It would seem to me that that is a great deal of shrinkage. I'm thinking a measurement flaw from green to dry vs actual shrinkage.

Thoughts?

TO my mind and my experience--5" is a LOT of shrinkage..more than normal..
But I am headed to my taxidermists office soon and will ask his opinion and advise

Thx

Ripp

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

Postman
.375 member

Re: Taxidermy Question [Re: Ripp]
      #301149 - 02/06/17 07:16 AM

Yes 5" seems a lot. I don't care if there are measurement errors either on the green or dried side of the equation but I do have a teeny worry in the back of my mind that maybe something got switched by accident during the 3 years it has taken for my trophy to make the long slow journey toward me.... I'll find out soon enough I suppose

Rule303
.416 member

Reged: 05/07/09
Loc: Woodford Qld
      #301151 - 02/06/17 09:45 AM

Postman I am thinking the same, that is a swap whether deliberate or mistaken-most like the latter- has occurred. However I will be guided by what Ripp's taxidermist advises.

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: Taxidermy Question [Re: Rule303]
      #301157 - 02/06/17 10:22 AM

Excessive, just seems impossible to be otherwise. Now, whether a mistake or not remains to be proven, likely impossible.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

Claydog
.375 member

Reged: 17/08/12
Loc: Katherine, Northern Territory ...
Re: Taxidermy Question [Re: DarylS]
      #301170 - 02/06/17 03:21 PM

I wouldn't pay too much attention to the green measurement, especially if your PH did it. Never new one to err on the low side if you know what I mean. 5 inches would be a huge shrinkage but not a big exaggeration. Have a good look through your photos and see if the horns look the same. If you have any closeups there could be some markings that might identify it.

93x64mm
.416 member

Reged: 07/12/11
Loc: Nth QLD Australia
      #301206 - 03/06/17 08:31 AM

Quote:

Postman I am thinking the same, that is a swap whether deliberate or mistaken-most like the latter- has occurred. However I will be guided by what Ripp's taxidermist advises.

I didn't think any shrinkage occurs whatsoever on antlers or horns; hides maybe?
Hope you get it sorted mate - one way or the other!

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: Taxidermy Question [Re: 93x64mm]
      #301218 - 03/06/17 09:07 AM

Quote:

Quote:

I didn't think any shrinkage occurs whatsoever on antlers or horns; hides maybe?
Hope you get it sorted mate - one way or the other!

I believe the proper measurements need to be asssesed only after a certain period of time, due to this very reason. ie shrinkage.

Not a tape measure hunter either, so don't know, but have always assumed there IS shrinkage and remember it being discussed years ago.

5 inches would be a hell of a lot. Always take photos of your heads so at least you know later if a head has been switched, Common in Africa. Has happened to me two or three times, particularly with zebra skins. Some asswipe with lots of dollars gets your good skin and you get his crap fat arsed bakkie shot POS skin ...

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Edited by NitroX (03/06/17 06:56 PM)

Ripp
.577 member

#301231 - 03/06/17 11:21 AM

Quote:

In checking with taxidermist and another gent who is an official scorer for SCI..yes, they both stated this is not really possible..while there is some shrinkage on horns within a period of time, no way for it to be 5"...even if they boiled the living sh-t out of it..5" is a bit too much..

One possibility is that at the harvest of the animal, the tape may have been "stretched a bit" to make it a larger trophy than it truly was?? ie; larger tip at end of hunt???

Ripp

--------------------

Edited by Ripp (03/06/17 11:23 AM)

Postman
.375 member

Re: Taxidermy Question [Re: Ripp]
      #301236 - 03/06/17 12:10 PM

Thanks Ripp!! Optimistic green taping is entirely possible, and that's ok.... on the flip side, conservative taxidermy taping is ok too....... my concern is that I get "My" buff....... I have a ton of pics and over three years have memorized every little crevice in the horn structure...

I suspect optimistic green taping is the likely culprit but I'll know which in a few weeks..... I can't wait to get my beast back!!!!!! It's been sooooooo long!!!!!!!

Ripp
.577 member

#301270 - 03/06/17 08:06 PM

Quote:

Thanks Ripp!! Optimistic green taping is entirely possible, and that's ok.... on the flip side, conservative taxidermy taping is ok too....... my concern is that I get "My" buff....... I have a ton of pics and over three years have memorized every little crevice in the horn structure...

I suspect optimistic green taping is the likely culprit but I'll know which in a few weeks..... I can't wait to get my beast back!!!!!! It's been sooooooo long!!!!!!!

Agree..as long as you are happy with the trophy and the hunt..score is not that big of a deal..congrats on your trophy...

Ripp

--------------------

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 46 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2520

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com