Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: "New" Mannlicher Schoenauers

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Mannlicher Discussion forum & Archive

Pages: 1
Waidmannsheil
.400 member

Reged: 19/04/13
Loc: Melbourne Australia
"New" Mannlicher Schoenauers
      #300896 - 28/05/17 03:25 PM

Has anybody seen one of these actions in the flesh or at IWA. Are they any good and are there any being used around the world. There doesn't seem to be much information about them and there are no magazine articles that I could find.

http://mannlich-schönauer.com/

Waidmannsheil

--------------------
There is nothing wrong with vegetarian food, so long as there is meat with it.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
xausa
.400 member

Reged: 07/03/07
Loc: Tennessee, USA
Re: "New" Mannlicher Schoenauers [Re: Waidmannsheil]
      #300910 - 29/05/17 02:17 AM

This company's primary interest seems to be selling replacement parts for pre-existing M/S rifles. If you assembled a rifle, using the action, magazine and trigger group and then added a barrel, the cost would be unrealistic IMHO.

It would be much easier and less expensive to start with a little used original M/S and convert it to the caliber desired and possibly add a custom stock. The caliber would have to be compatible with the original one for it to function properly, of course.

I have seen worn out M/S 1903's in Africa, but never elsewhere. Most of the ones offered for sale these days appear to have been used very little.

Waidmannsheil
.400 member

Re: "New" Mannlicher Schoenauers [Re: xausa]
      #300927 - 29/05/17 06:26 AM

Xausa, they do sell whole assemblies as well, such as the bolt and the magazine so I am guessing they sell whole actions as well at a price which would obviously be less than the sum of the individual parts. They are also slightly modernised in some areas compared to an original and you have the choice of a Single Set Trigger.
As you say, one could use a good original however here in Australia finding one in 9.3x62 or even 30-06 to convert to 9.3 is not that easy and if you find one than they are usually very expensive.
Model 1924/25 are almost never seen and the later Model 1952 all have the bent handles, which I am not that fond of.
The new model comes without the stripper clip guides and therefore the low bolt handle as well as a straight handle and the action bridge is machined ready for scope bases.

Anyway I was just interested as they look quite nicely made and haves some custom features out of the box. It would be interesting to know what price they are selling for as a complete action.

They do make complete rifles which look very nice.

Waidmannsheil.

--------------------

deeangeo
.300 member

Reged: 09/05/15
Loc: United Kingdom
      #300952 - 29/05/17 08:16 PM

Looks superb & how I'd love one in 7x57 stutzen....but I suspect it'd be a few bob more than my wallet holds!

--------------------
Blaser K95 Luxus Kipplaufbüchse, .25-06 Rem. Schmidt & Bender 8x56 & Nosler 110gn Accubond = Game Over!

Edited by deeangeo (29/05/17 09:29 PM)

Waidmannsheil
.400 member

Re: "New" Mannlicher Schoenauers [Re: deeangeo]
      #300954 - 29/05/17 09:13 PM

I couldn't wait so I spoke to Michael Miedler who runs the business and he is a gentleman. Very friendly and very helpful. He was also very patient with my German which sometimes struggles a little with some of the German gun specific technical terms, so I just switched to English and he knew what I meant. He said he has had a lot of interest from overseas for whole actions which he is just in the process of finishing a batch of ninety actions. All machining is done in house and at the moment the biggest bolt face is to suit 0.473". He is working on a magnum action as we speak. The action can be had without engraving on the receiver so that one can have their own engraving done.
I also asked whether the firing pin fall is original or shorter and at the moment it is original but he is working on a new model with a shorter fall which means a shallower helix and therefor an easier blot handle lift.
The barrel fitment is as pre-war models and therefore the normal chambering procedure can be used. The barrel thread is M27 x 1.5mm. He is going to email me with a price on a complete action so I will report back when I get an answer.

Waidmannsheil.

--------------------

xausa
.400 member

#300961 - 29/05/17 11:20 PM

By coincidence, I just exchanged emails with Michael, asking if he only manufactured parts, or if he was prepared to offer complete rifles. He replied that he did plan to offer complete rifles and offered to call me up to talk about it. Since my interest is purely theoretical, I simply wrote back, asking if he could give me a price estimate on a complete rifle. I have not yet received an answer.

I had previously exchanged emails with him, asking if he was prepared to offer replacement spring loaded pins from the take-down model M/S. He replied in the negative, but I see from another post that he has since changed his mind, perhaps on the basis of being asked to repair one such pin with a broken spring.

xausa
.400 member

#300968 - 30/05/17 03:09 AM

Michael replies that the price of a "standard" Mannlicher-Schoenauer is 5250 Euros.

deeangeo
.300 member

Reged: 09/05/15
Loc: United Kingdom
      #300970 - 30/05/17 03:27 AM

That sort of price doesn't seem too punishing.
Have you any idea where the barrels are coming from, did Michael mention?
Cheers, d

--------------------
Blaser K95 Luxus Kipplaufbüchse, .25-06 Rem. Schmidt & Bender 8x56 & Nosler 110gn Accubond = Game Over!

Rule303
.416 member

Reged: 05/07/09
Loc: Woodford Qld
      #300971 - 30/05/17 03:37 AM

Quote:

Michael replies that the price of a "standard" Mannlicher-Schoenauer is 5250 Euros.

I would like one in 8X57 but that price is a bit steep for my wallet.

gryphon
.450 member

Reged: 01/01/03
Loc: Sambar ground/Victoria/Austral...
Re: "New" Mannlicher Schoenauers [Re: deeangeo]
      #300974 - 30/05/17 05:06 AM

Quote:

That sort of price doesn't seem too punishing.
Have you any idea where the barrels are coming from, did Michael mention?
Cheers, d

$7881 AUD,that`s about the equivalent of 150 strokes with the rattan...punishment way above enough for me ha ha.

--------------------
Get off the chair away from the desk and get out in the bush and enjoy life.

ducmarc
.400 member

Reged: 14/07/14
Loc: fla
Re: "New" Mannlicher Schoenauers [Re: gryphon]
      #301042 - 31/05/17 12:24 PM

wish he had a barrel for my mca the outside looks like someone left in an umbrella bucket, hopefully it was an elephants foot.

--------------------
'killed by death' Lemmy.. ' boil the dog ' Elvis Manywounds "my best friend is my magnum forty four" hank willams the third.

Pages: 1

Extra information
2 registered and 42 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3653

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com