Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Behind The Bullet---243-Winchester

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Rifles

Pages: 1
Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
Behind The Bullet---243-Winchester
      #300453 - 18/05/17 11:50 AM

https://www.americanhunter.org/articles/2017/5/12/behind-the-bullet-243-winchester/

Really like this caliber myself..have used it for years as a truck gun, antelope gun, prairie dog gun..used it for calling in coyotes..with handloading it truly is a very versatile caliber..in addition to those already mentioned have also used it for taking deer, elk and black bear..

Ripp

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: Behind The Bullet---243-Winchester [Re: Ripp]
      #300459 - 18/05/17 12:21 PM

That was a good article, Ripp - tks for posting it.

Currently am working on a load for my 1983 Ruger International with 80gr. GMX bullets. I'm using Superformance powder & seems to want to put them in about 3/4".

Still testing this .243 & wanting to try it on whitetails and elk this fall.

So short and handy, too. Lovely and lively little rifle!

.243 is pretty neat! The scope is a bit of an overkill, a 5X-15X40 m3200.
I do have a straight 6X32 like-new Scope Chief I could put on it.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

Ripp
.577 member

Re: Behind The Bullet---243-Winchester [Re: DarylS]
      #300486 - 18/05/17 10:46 PM

NICE looking rifle Daryl..I had one of those in a 270 caliber..long time ago.
should not have sold it ..but it was a .270

Yes, agree the .243 is a great caliber..I am guessing if you loaded a Barnes Triple Shock or a good old fashion Swift, they would work fine on the deer or elk..heck the old rancher friend of mine used nothing but a .243 shooting factory Remington Core-lokt's for years on elk..saw many many elk drop to that rifle..

Have been reading on how many of the timed long range shooting events are turning to the 6mm caliber as they can call their own shots, less recoil, great ballistics, etc...including the new ^ Creedmore...

Ripp

--------------------

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
      #300504 - 19/05/17 02:46 AM

I can see visual benefit, Art, as at a mere 100 meters, my Vanguard .243 'almost' lets me see the strike when shot off the Tri-pod bench-rest. At 200 or further it is easy to see the strikes.

I prefer to take the little Ruger hunting instead of the Vanguard due to the M77's superior handling characteristics.

I am running a m4200 6-24 mil dot side focus that's only 13" long, on the Vanguard - again, bit of an overkill - LOL.

One of the old trappers here used to use a Swift with 55gr. Speer SP's for dispatching trouble bears - blacks and grizzlies alike. Of course, no one knows if they were REALLY effective, except for his admission.

I had heard of a rancher's son who used a .243 for EVERYTHING including trouble grizzlies. Years ago, he shot one that was tearing into a new-born calf in the calf pen beside the house. Gramma and the kids were in the front yard, bear not more than 50yards way. At the first shot, broadside the griz. grabbed the calf and shoot it hard, thinking the calf had hurt him. When he stood up, the second shot was centre of the chest, dropping him. That was the 4th grizzly-stock attack that spring, handled by the .243. Factory WW 100gr. I told him he'd have been better armed with an '06. He "didn't think so as the .243 is so easy to shoot".

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

Ripp
.577 member

Re: Behind The Bullet---243-Winchester [Re: DarylS]
      #300507 - 19/05/17 04:30 AM

Quote:

I had heard of a rancher's son who used a .243 for EVERYTHING including trouble grizzlies. Years ago, he shot one that was tearing into a new-born calf in the calf pen beside the house. Gramma and the kids were in the front yard, bear not more than 50yards way. At the first shot, broadside the griz. grabbed the calf and shoot it hard, thinking the calf had hurt him. When he stood up, the second shot was centre of the chest, dropping him. That was the 4th grizzly-stock attack that spring, handled by the .243. Factory WW 100gr. I told him he'd have been better armed with an '06. He "didn't think so as the .243 is so easy to shoot".

WOW--that is a great story...

YES.. as much as I LOVE the magnums and really fast calibers..there is a happy medium as well..the .243 is just one of those..at least for me...perfect gun to teach a kid, new shooter, woman, what ever on a centerfire ..very mild recoil...

Have literally shot hundreds of rounds a day through one on a p-dog hunt..don't get tired or sore from recoil..AND with a 70gr Ballistic tip or Blitz King with Varget Powder...the flip factor is quite spectacular.. really flat shooting...

Ripp

--------------------

4seventy
Sponsor

Reged: 07/05/03
Loc: Queensland Australia
      #300516 - 19/05/17 01:03 PM

Yes, a very effective little cartridge.
Bought my first 243 in the late 70's when I started shooting for a living.
Owned five 243's over the years and funny enough all were made in the UK.
The 243 works well so long as it's loaded with projectiles suitable for the type of game it is being used on.

Ripp
.577 member

Re: Behind The Bullet---243-Winchester [Re: 4seventy]
      #300527 - 19/05/17 11:37 PM

Quote:

Yes, a very effective little cartridge.
Bought my first 243 in the late 70's when I started shooting for a living.
Owned five 243's over the years and funny enough all were made in the UK.
The 243 works well so long as it's loaded with projectiles suitable for the type of game it is being used on.

Exactly---

With the proper bullets for the game that is hunted..will kill most anything..within reason...

Ripp

--------------------

4seventy
Sponsor

Reged: 07/05/03
Loc: Queensland Australia
      #300555 - 20/05/17 12:46 PM

Here in Oz back in the 60's, if you owned and shot a 243 you probably would have been considered to be 'the man'.
Before the 243 gained popularity here, the most common cartridges for pigs and roos would have been 303, 303-25 and 222, all being fine cartridges as well.

MagnumHunter
.275 member

Reged: 06/07/04
Loc: North Carolina, USA
Re: Behind The Bullet---243-Winchester [Re: 4seventy]
      #319006 - 11/08/18 01:23 PM

When I was a kid, Remington used to run those ads for the 788 on the back cover of hunting magazines and I always wanted one. Couple of years ago I was in a pawn shop and came across one in 243 for $300 out the door so I bit. Love it for a truck gun.

Ripp
.577 member

Re: Behind The Bullet---243-Winchester [Re: MagnumHunter]
      #319009 - 11/08/18 02:09 PM

Quote:

When I was a kid, Remington used to run those ads for the 788 on the back cover of hunting magazines and I always wanted one. Couple of years ago I was in a pawn shop and came across one in 243 for $300 out the door so I bit. Love it for a truck gun.

That 788 was a hell of a bargain really...most I saw shot very well and had incredible trigger time..

Same as the caliber...used one a lot for a lot of years, like you, as a truck gun..used it on everything from prairie dogs to elk..with pronghorn, deer, bear in between...

Ripp

--------------------

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 43 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3653

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com