Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: FRENCH HUNTING FAIR

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Europe

Pages: 1
larcher
.416 member

Reged: 11/01/05
Loc: Saverne, Alsace, France
FRENCH HUNTING FAIR
      #24702 - 21/01/05 04:34 AM

I post a copy from AR of a message from our friend Wink or William, an American living in France.

For those of you who are European based, or are by chance in Europe in April, there is a hunting fair which takes place yearly in my hometown of Rambouillet. This year the dates are 8 through 11 April. This is nothing like the scale of SCI events, but there are several PH's from Africa who will have stands as well as agents and outfitters for Africa hunting. There will also be some of the French gunmakers like Chapuis as well as others who are less well known. For those who haven't forgotten their high school French, the web site is www.s-i-c-r.com

My previous post left out information which may be pertinent. Rambouillet is 55km from Paris by road. It is a 35 minute train ride from the Gare de Montparnasse train station in the 15th arrondissement of Paris. From a purely selfish standpoint, I would love to see some American stands at this Fair as it is becoming the most important European venue for African Hunting and there are a lot of good products made in the USA, from bullets to rifles to clothes to who knows what else, which are relatively unknown to most Europeans. This is the place to present them and I don't get a commission, I just wish you were there so that I could see and perhaps buy some of the stuff. So, if your wife has always wanted to see Paris, you've now got a perfectly respectable write-off.

nec timor, nec temeritas

--------------------
"I don't want to create an encyclopedic atmosphere here when we might be having a beer instead" P H Capstick in "Safari the last adventure."

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Chasseur
.375 member

Reged: 18/11/03
Loc: Hunting classic Indian game!
Re: FRENCH HUNTING FAIR [Re: larcher]
      #26093 - 11/02/05 10:24 AM

L'archer,

Thanks for the information. I went back in 1999 and had a great time. So many atractive ladies trying to sell me things and giving me champagne Also lots of nice doubles and combination guns.

--------------------
In regards to action he should devote himself to hunting...
-Machiavelli

larcher
.416 member

Re: FRENCH HUNTING FAIR [Re: Chasseur]
      #29024 - 07/04/05 01:10 AM

Hi Chasseur,

Thursday I’ll go to this fair. I’ll meet Toufic my outfitter in Burkina F and Michel my outfitter in the CAR. Toufic called me today and was not pleased. He is keeping a lion whopper for me but to late now, Michel provided me a humdinger. Never mind my cousin will try and get it.
I’ll met my friend taxidermist who will be decorated : the legion d’honneur (honor legion, the highest decoration, created by Napoleon) as best taxidermist in France and very active conservationist. A real asset in International meetings concerning hunting and game, such as CITES. And I’ll drink champagne with the top 100 French hunters and PHs.

I’ll visit our double makers : Paul Chapuis, Pierre Chapuis, Paul Demas and Ridon. I’ll act as reporter to post you the novelties. I’ll visit Armurerie Jeannot, he is the dealer in France of Thys, Piotti, Lebeau –Courally,and customizes rifles : DG rifles from CZ and Mauser98. He’ll display used splendid expensive doubles. You’ll not believe that : most of these costly old doubles are bought by a Belgian. This guy has more than 80 doubles. I’ll do my best to get his adress and ask him to post pics of his best doubles.
My heart will be with the Pope’s funeral and I’ll pray him so as not to be breathlyze

--------------------
"I don't want to create an encyclopedic atmosphere here when we might be having a beer instead" P H Capstick in "Safari the last adventure."

EricD
.416 member

Reged: 27/02/04
      #29030 - 07/04/05 03:51 AM

JB,

It sounds like a great hunting fair.

I hope you will take some pictures for us of the Demas, Ridon, Chapuis etc doubles.

And any other objects of interest.

Erik

Chasseur
.375 member

#29042 - 07/04/05 10:02 AM

Wish I could come with you!

JB what do you think of the Rippamonti familly's doubles? I went to Bernard's shop and he seemed like a good guy. Came close to getting one of his guns, but went (for better or worse) with Chapuis instead.

Merci

--------------------
-Machiavelli

larcher
.416 member

#29936 - 23/04/05 03:58 PM

Hi Chasseur,

I never met B. Ripamonti.
ripamonti
He is known as a gifted craftsman. Anyhow he didn’t produce and sell lots of rifles. He is not advertising and don’t show up at fairs.
IMHO his rifles are lovely handmade in accordance with the French gunsmiths tradition.
What I don’t like is the Greener lug, it hampers fast reloading.

It’s only my opinion. I am mostly a Rene Chapuis fan. I know Chapuis is a big manufacturer and that his products are CNC made but even if his doubles are sturdy tools, they remain well balanced and awfully sexy. My humble opinion.
The next fairs are the country show in Paris in May and the Game Fair in the Chambord Castle in June. I am waiting for You.

--------------------

larcher
.416 member

Re: FRENCH HUNTING FAIR [Re: EricD]
      #29937 - 23/04/05 06:48 PM

The “Salon de la Chasse” in Rambouillet.

I told You I was the guest of my friend the taxidermist Michel Vaillier .

The reception took place in a VIP lounge, few people but very posh. I never met so many ministers along with the most renowned PHs. I met a gentleman whose face I know but I cannot remember his name. He congratuled me about the big lion I shot last month.
In fact he shot his lion in the same place in the CAR but didn’t like the taste of lion meat. We chatted about many things concerning African game and Africa today. Michel explained me this gentleman was his lieutenant when fighting in Algeria. So I told him that at this time Michel resented badly the cruelty of letting the soldiers 6 months far from any military brothel.
In fact, this gentleman is HRH Jacques de France, Duke of Orleans, the older brother of the French King. Rare to find such a distinguished and hearty gentleman.
I wanted to see Mr Jeannot who sells doubles from Lebeau and Piotti and outstanding used doubles : not here. Ridon too.

Among the double makers I met :

Paul Demas, he had not time for me and for NitroX forum????? demas site

[image]membres.lycos.fr/jeanderunz/ blocdemas.jpg[/image]

Pierre Chapuis and his son (best craftsman (gunsmith) in France, hence the tricolour collar and the medal) . They were delighted a forum takes interest at their products.

Nice doubles lovely handmade and not expensive. What is stunning, the blueing. They know how to blue the engraved plates in lots of gradations of blue and yellow. Note they don’t make African doubles, their biggest is the classical 9.3-74R.

René Chapuis sons : always smiling and free for every customer.

They offer a wide range of S/S and O/U doubles and shotguns from the industrial basics to the bewitching custom made luxury rifles, matching British makers. They are very cheerful but sadly they don’t master the use of internet, don’t count on them to post on NitroExpress forum as yet.

Famars : luxury doubles, but no African DGRs. Nice toys but I know nothing about their solidity. If somebody on the forum can help. Was not P H Caspstick using a Famars double?

I saw many trophies. Outstanding bongo and elands, very nice Kudus and Oryx, a huge leopard. A pity many aren’t well stuffed. Many taxidermist just use standard polyurethane shapes and the trophies lack expression. Some games died once again in showing so ridiculously. I think of a reedbuck with eyes bulging like periscopes and veins striping his emaciated face, a second death.

Among the quads, I fell in love with the Yamaha Rhino.
Lucky the CAR stole all my money.

Guns novelties : the attractions were :

Blaser new F3 shotgun. Like every Blaser very technique and versatile. Sorry I don’t like Blaser, absolutely no sex appeal. The same for the Merkel double B3 displaying the common Blaser look.
Browning : the new Cynergy shotgun is beautifully modern. The know how of Browning and a stunning design.
Zeiss and

his new monster scope 6-24x72, splendid for light gathering and long distance shooting. Hard to beat.

AMMUNITION : the rage is the NOSLER ACCUBOND.
Nice dreams. jb

--------------------

Oldsarge
.300 member

Reged: 07/02/05
Loc: SoCal Borderlands
      #29949 - 24/04/05 02:04 AM

Lovely report, JB. I will definitely have to make that a stop on a post-retirement European tour since at present I cannot get away in the spring. That delightful blonde in the FAMARS booth is the daughter of the late, lamented founder of the company, Mario Abbiatico. If her French is as good as her English one can spend an entire afternoon happily chatting away with her. BTW, she is a fully qualified gunsmith, as well.

--------------------
Sarge

Holland's .375: One Planet, One Rifle!

Chasseur
.375 member

Re: FRENCH HUNTING FAIR [Re: Oldsarge]
      #30016 - 25/04/05 12:00 PM

JB,

Great story of the meeting.

What is the name of Rene's Chapuis' son on the right of the picture. When I visited the shop in 2001, I met both Rene and the one on the right. They were both very nice and helpful.

Agreed on Rippamonti's rifles, I'm not a fan of Greener cross bolts on small bore doubles for battue.

That Famars lady is simply lovely Old Sarge! Wish my local gunsmith looked like that

A+

Chasseur

--------------------
-Machiavelli

larcher
.416 member

#30199 - 29/04/05 12:50 AM

I didn’t know I was meeting Mrs Abbiatico . Sure she is a beautiful and lovely lady. In fact she is speaking perfectly French (as many Italians do ) without any accent. I would have bet she is a Frenchwoman.

Chasseur, the second brother’s name is Thierry I think.

--------------------

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 9 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2418

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com