Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: .577 Kynoch Brass and .254" Berdan Primers

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shopping.NitroExpress.com >> Classifieds & Collecting

Pages: 1
okkmat08
.224 member

Reged: 01/05/17
Loc: Pennsylvania
.577 Kynoch Brass and .254" Berdan Primers
      #299916 - 02/05/17 06:50 AM

Hi all,
This is my first post here. I attend many gun auctions and I buy and sell ammo and related items on gunbroker. I'm a cartridge collector and vintage box/packet horder.

Please feel free to view my listings on gunbroker linked below:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Item/642692473

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/642384089

CHECK OUT MY OTHER LISTINGS!

I do have sleeves of No.172 berdan primers that are currently unlisted. I have all sort of stuff that I haven't had the chance to list. If you guys are looking for something weird, I can put it on my list to buy7 if I come across it!

You can contact me at ammookkie@gmail.com

THANKS MUCH,
Matthew

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Huvius
.416 member

Reged: 04/11/07
Loc: Colorado
Re: .577 Kynoch Brass and .254" Berdan Primers [Re: okkmat08]
      #299926 - 02/05/17 11:51 AM

You do have a very interesting variety there.
I think you will find that, unfortunately, there isn't much of a market for Berdan primed brass. Those who regularly shoot their vintage big bore British rifles learn very quickly that Berdan primers are expensive, rare and generally a PIA to use. Many go as far as converting their brass to use shotgun primers in black or NfB loading.
I persevered with the Berdan primers I had, using them for my Kynoch 360No.2, but eventually decided against the constant search for primers and the looming need to work up new loads using more available components prompted me to sell off the Berdan primers I had left and I never looked back. I sold them (sort of, never was paid...) to a guy who needed them for his 8bore which makes some sense as they dont get shot a lot and new brass is high $$$.
Also, the 450No.2 ammo you have looks to be made from 500 basic brass which looks to have thin rims - the 450 No.2 had quite thick rims and if this ammo was made to headspace off of the shoulder, may not be suitable for many rifles other than the particular one it was made for.

--------------------
He who lives in the past is doomed to enjoy it.

3DogMike
.400 member

Reged: 29/01/15
Loc: Western Slope, Colorado USA
Re: .577 Kynoch Brass and .254" Berdan Primers [Re: Huvius]
      #299942 - 02/05/17 05:27 PM

Re: the #40 primers; I seem to remember from Jack Lott or Elmer Keith's writings that the #40 was a corrosive primer so if they were to be used the barrels would REALLY need proper hot water & detergent cleaning. I'm not around my reference books right now, but I think the #172 was the non-corrosive follow on to the #40.
- Mike

--------------------
"Here's to killing people you don't like with people you do"

"Will Rogers never met a fighter pilot"
- Anon

“Always carry a flask of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore always carry a small snake."
-- W. C. Fields

pamtnman
.275 member

Reged: 26/10/16
Loc: PA USA
Re: .577 Kynoch Brass and .254" Berdan Primers [Re: 3DogMike]
      #300247 - 09/05/17 04:23 AM

OKKMat, my camp is in Pine Creek and I'll be coming up this week. PM coming to you, I am interested in the .577 brass. EDIT: Oops, Berdan primed brass, not just Berdan primers. Got it, I am sometimes slow on the ball.
PA

Edited by pamtnman (09/05/17 04:28 AM)

eagle27
.400 member

Reged: 24/01/09
Loc: Nelson, New Zealand
Re: .577 Kynoch Brass and .254" Berdan Primers [Re: 3DogMike]
      #300271 - 09/05/17 04:28 PM

Quote:

Re: the #40 primers; I seem to remember from Jack Lott or Elmer Keith's writings that the #40 was a corrosive primer so if they were to be used the barrels would REALLY need proper hot water & detergent cleaning. I'm not around my reference books right now, but I think the #172 was the non-corrosive follow on to the #40.
- Mike

Yes the #40 primers were corrosive but were preferred by Elmer Keith for loading the big cases. The non-corrosive #172 primer was more powerful according to Elmer and he recommended dropping at least 5 grains of powder if changing to the newer #172 primer.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 4 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 1309

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com