Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Kurz Mauser

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Mauser Discussion Forum

Pages: 1
MarkR
.333 member

Reged: 29/07/07
Loc: NW Vic. Australia
Kurz Mauser
      #299618 - 25/04/17 09:23 PM

Hi everyone,

How can I tell if a Kurz actioned Mauser is the real deal and not a cut and shut?? Can it be done via serial number as I don't have access to the firearm in person..

Cheers,
Mark.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
2152hq
.300 member

Reged: 20/05/12
Loc: USA
Re: Kurz Mauser [Re: MarkR]
      #299619 - 25/04/17 10:06 PM

Factory markings on the left outside wall of the recv'r?
If cut, shortened and welded, the markings won't match back up even to be recut through the welded area.
The distance from the front 'ring' to the thumb cut (if there is one) is shorter on the K and the factory marking starts closer to the ring and ends closer to the thumb cut because of the lack of space. I think the letter size may be different/smaller but I'm not so sure of that.

Markings can be cut by hand but magnification will usually give them away as done so. Roll stamping and stamping in general leaves a different look than graver cut or machine cut lettering.

I don't know enough (anything!) about the records of the ser#'s and what's available & what isn't to verify in that manner if it is.

I have a Mauser carbine w/a K action in 6.5cal. Certainly is a different feel to the little gem when handling it.

Just some thoughts.

Huvius
.416 member

Reged: 04/11/07
Loc: Colorado
Re: Kurz Mauser [Re: 2152hq]
      #299627 - 26/04/17 01:45 AM

It is very difficult to shorten an action without any telltale signs of it being done.
A good look inside will often reveal differences in finish - either by weld heat, metal differences, and finishing (machine, grind and sanding) marks in the wall as opposed to the rest of the action interior.
Your best bet that it is genuine is whether, as stated above, the numbers jive and the roll stamp on the wall are proper. I cant recall ever seeing a genuine Kurz without the "oberndorf" roll stamp on the left wall.
Also, if it is a complete original rifle, the stock will be numbered to it as will all of the action parts - bolt, safety, magazine etc.

--------------------
He who lives in the past is doomed to enjoy it.

Pages: 1

Extra information
1 registered and 42 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2037

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com