Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Tom Houghton, Sr. Tribute-rifle by HS Precision

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Rifles

Pages: 1
Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
Tom Houghton, Sr. Tribute-rifle by HS Precision
      #299440 - 21/04/17 11:10 PM

Posted this as I have been to this companies facility more than once and was very impressed.

I purchased my first HS rifle in 2000 ..in 300RUM...have probably used that rifle to take more big game than all my other rifles combined...frankly its the most accurate out of the box rifle I have ever owned in a larger caliber..they do have a 1/2" 3 shot guarantee at 100 yards from the factory..My test target with the suggested load target was .342 ..not too shabby, and no, it was not a reduced velocity load..

I finally did put a new barrel on it last summer after 15 years of shooting including four trips to Africa. The bore scope said I still did not need it, but I wanted a fluted barrel, so that is what I did. The test target this time showed a .192- 3 shot group using 180 gr Nosler Ballistic Tips. All the talk that the Ultra's burn through barrels quickly and you need to replace them often is complete BS in my experience...and this is NOT the only Ultra I have--have one in .338 and 7mm Ultra as well..

While I do not take it on high elevation hunts anymore..(have lighter rifles for that) this one is right at 9lbs with scope...anything in the 8000 ft or less category, this is usually the one I grab for ..great trigger, quality and accuracy..

Ripp

https://www.hsprecision.com/shop2/firearms/hunting-rifles/tom-houghton-senior-tribute-rifle/

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: Tom Houghton, Sr. Tribute-rifle by HS Precision [Re: Ripp]
      #299444 - 22/04/17 12:53 AM

Good shooting barrels. Do you know what brand they use, Art?

Most of the powders today, especially the slow burners, are formulated to work properly at top-end pressures, thus the ctg's now giving their best accuracy right at the top.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
Re: Tom Houghton, Sr. Tribute-rifle by HS Precision [Re: DarylS]
      #299455 - 22/04/17 05:00 AM

Quote:

Good shooting barrels. Do you know what brand they use, Art?

Most of the powders today, especially the slow burners, are formulated to work properly at top-end pressures, thus the ctg's now giving their best accuracy right at the top.

Not sure who they get their blanks from but they do all the rifling in-house...as well as all the other manufacturing of actions, stocks, etc is all done in-house.

They call it 10X cut rifling...have another of their barrels on another rifle--it also shoots very very well...

Really nice shop...

https://www.hsprecision.com/shop2/

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

Homer
.416 member

Reged: 07/04/09
Loc: Canberra, Australia
Re: Tom Houghton, Sr. Tribute-rifle by HS Precision [Re: Ripp]
      #299469 - 22/04/17 08:23 AM

G'Day Fella's,

Thanks for sharing Ripp.

Personally, I'm not a fan of their stocks but once bedded, the rifle's do shoot.
Their barrels on the other hand, are a different thing. They are one of the best and as you say, made by the traditional Cut Rifled method.

Avagreatweekendeh!
Homer

--------------------
"Beware the Lolly Pop of Mediocrity,
Lick it Once and You Will Suck Forever"

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 38 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 1969

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com