Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Any interest in run of Oberndorf Type M spoon bolt handles?

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Mauser Discussion Forum

Pages: 1
ColoradoMatt1
.300 member

Reged: 01/01/14
Loc: Northern Colorado
Any interest in run of Oberndorf Type M spoon bolt handles?
      #299101 - 16/04/17 01:51 AM

A Gentleman was kind enough to lend an original Oberdorf Type M bolt, so that a gunmaker can make and install a copy of the Oberndorf spoon handle for me. I'm gauging interest in folks getting in on a run of these. While these don't seem to be a hot commodity, I've been looking for one for several years now, with no luck, so picking up a few doesn't sound like a bad idea to me. If a run is done, it will be at least several months before its undertaken. Anybody interested? Here are some pics of the Type M handle I snagged from google image:

[IMG]http://i1291.photobucket.com/albums/b557/71shooter/image_zpsca35ahmz.jpeg[/IMG] [IMG]http://i1291.photobucket.com/albums/b557/71shooter/image_zpsfedsiud2.jpeg[/IMG] [IMG]http://i1291.photobucket.com/albums/b557/71shooter/image_zpszwuvcl1t.jpeg[/IMG]

Edited by ColoradoMatt1 (16/04/17 07:34 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Vladymere
.300 member

Reged: 11/08/15
Loc: North Carolina, USA
Re: Any interest in run of Oberndorf Type M spoon bolt handles? [Re: ColoradoMatt1]
      #299118 - 16/04/17 12:47 PM

The first and third photos look awfully familiar and a stunning rifle it is in my opinion.

Vlad

ColoradoMatt1
.300 member

Re: Any interest in run of Oberndorf Type M spoon bolt handles? [Re: Vladymere]
      #299124 - 16/04/17 02:14 PM

Quote:

The first and third photos look awfully familiar and a stunning rifle it is in my opinion.

Vlad

Those are photos I shamelessly copied from a google image search, just to show folks what an Oberdorf Type M spoon handle looks like. I agree. Beautiful rifles indeed. I like all three pics. Thanks for your comment, Vlad! Not everyone likes the Mannlicher style handle. I happen to love them.

themauserkid
.275 member

Reged: 21/06/15
Loc: Texas
Re: Any interest in run of Oberndorf Type M spoon bolt handles? [Re: ColoradoMatt1]
      #299245 - 19/04/17 03:05 AM

I built one in a homemade forge out of a flower pot in my backyard for what it's worth haha, these aren't too hard to make, I really could do it with just my torch and lathe. Going to use it on my first mauser build.

Hoot
.275 member

Reged: 25/01/17
Loc: MN
Re: Any interest in run of Oberndorf Type M spoon bolt handles? [Re: themauserkid]
      #299285 - 20/04/17 12:43 AM

Sir, I assume these would be 'weld-on' type handles? (Mostly because I can't imagine any other way of attachment.) Forging ahead, how well do you think they would fit up to a Mauser '93-'95 bolt? If there's a chance it would fit and be proportional, I would be interested, depending on final cost. I have a '93 Mauser project languishing in the pile for want of a bolt handle (and a few other bits).

Thank you,
Hoot

szihn
.400 member

Reged: 24/06/07
Loc: Wind River Valley, Wyoming
Re: Any interest in run of Oberndorf Type M spoon bolt handles? [Re: Hoot]
      #299293 - 20/04/17 02:56 AM

They are not hard to make if you have a lathe.

I have done a lot of them. You simply cut an elongated "tear drop" and then file or mill away the top so it has the shape you like. The common ones are just like those on the Mausers in the pictures, but the other style has a ridge in the center. Look at this picture of one I made to see how the ridged ones look. this was done on a Military Breda Mannlicher so it has a bit more flair then some on the original Mausers, but the way it's made is the same.

Edited by szihn (20/04/17 02:58 AM)

ColoradoMatt1
.300 member

Re: Any interest in run of Oberndorf Type M spoon bolt handles? [Re: szihn]
      #299316 - 20/04/17 09:56 AM

Quote:

They are not hard to make if you have a lathe.

I have done a lot of them. You simply cut an elongated "tear drop" and then file or mill away the top so it has the shape you like. The common ones are just like those on the Mausers in the pictures, but the other style has a ridge in the center. Look at this picture of one I made to see how the ridged ones look. this was done on a Military Breda Mannlicher so it has a bit more flair then some on the original Mausers, but the way it's made is the same.

Nice job. Making a handle from scratch Isn't hard, but making an exact copy of an Oberndorf M requires you have one on hand. I wanted an exact copy. Annul retentive, I know, but that's what I wanted. Having a gunsmith make a one-off at shop hourly rates can be pretty high. The style you made is similar to the BRNO sporter style.

ColoradoMatt1
.300 member

#299319 - 20/04/17 10:25 AM

Quote:

Sir, I assume these would be 'weld-on' type handles? (Mostly because I can't imagine any other way of attachment.) Forging ahead, how well do you think they would fit up to a Mauser '93-'95 bolt? If there's a chance it would fit and be proportional, I would be interested, depending on final cost. I have a '93 Mauser project languishing in the pile for want of a bolt handle (and a few other bits).

Thank you,
Hoot

Hoot,

I think they would work great. They would look nice on a Portuguese Verguero as well. Check out this 93' done by Daniel Frazier. The handle is a quasi-Mannlicher, but very similar. I like it!
Matt

http://www.hallowellco.com/danl%20fraser%20360.htm

Hoot
.275 member

Reged: 25/01/17
Loc: MN
      #299349 - 21/04/17 12:54 AM

Thank you. That's a lovely rifle in a neat cartridge. Please keep me appraised of cost and availability.

Thanks again,
Hoot

ColoradoMatt1
.300 member

#299393 - 21/04/17 10:41 AM

Will do!

ColoradoMatt1
.300 member

#299420 - 21/04/17 06:35 PM

Here is another Daniel Fraser 93 with a more traditional butterknife handle:

http://www.gunsinternational.com/guns-fo...un_id=100819720

themauserkid
.275 member

Reged: 21/06/15
Loc: Texas
      #299478 - 22/04/17 09:49 AM

Here's the one I did, it's still a rough forging obviously. I threaded it and then forged it out of 4340. I wasn't shooting for exactly an M copy, I didnt want a copy actually, tried to give it my own style but based on the M look.
Let me figure out this picture thing..
Ok I give up, I hate technology haha

Edited by themauserkid (22/04/17 10:18 AM)

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 56 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3098

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com