Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Leupold-announces-new-VX-5HD-line

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Miscellaneous Topics >> Sporting equipment

Pages: 1
Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
Leupold-announces-new-VX-5HD-line
      #298805 - 10/04/17 04:57 AM

https://www.americanhunter.org/articles/2017/4/8/leupold-announces-new-vx-5hd-line/

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
gryphon
.450 member

Reged: 01/01/03
Loc: Sambar ground/Victoria/Austral...
Re: Leupold-announces-new-VX-5HD-line [Re: Ripp]
      #298808 - 10/04/17 05:16 AM

Of course I will have a look at the new line but really its the norm these days to trot out a 'new' line every year.

Ok after a quick read i get a few lines as quoted below

If you can dream it, the VX-5HD can hunt it."

New CDS-ZL2 adjustments

Twilight Max Light Management System

Now all the buzz words mean one thing..MORE money!

--------------------
Get off the chair away from the desk and get out in the bush and enjoy life.

Ripp
.577 member

Re: Leupold-announces-new-VX-5HD-line [Re: gryphon]
      #298838 - 10/04/17 10:21 PM

Quote:

Of course I will have a look at the new line but really its the norm these days to trot out a 'new' line every year.

Ok after a quick read i get a few lines as quoted below

If you can dream it, the VX-5HD can hunt it."

New CDS-ZL2 adjustments

Twilight Max Light Management System

Now all the buzz words mean one thing..MORE money!

I was in Anchorage a week ago at the GREAT ALASKAN SPORTSMANS SHOW..Leupold had a booth set up just around the corner from me..spent quite a bit of time looking things over before the show would open to the public...

A couple of items that caught my attention is their "new" VX-3 long range scope..checked it out..seems fairly well put together..the other item which may be good for hunting was their thermal imaging unit..picks up the heat off of a live body..worked really well..

Yes, it does seem those are the "new" catch words in todays world..will say though, my Leupolds as in VX-3's and VX-6's, appear to have better glass than my Zeiss Conquest scopes..including the HD series..at least to my eyes...the only benfit fo the Zeiss is the Rapid-Z reticle which works incredibly well..

Ripp

--------------------

gryphon
.450 member

#298850 - 11/04/17 06:11 AM

I ran around the net Ripp and checked reviews on the Leupold TI unit and on the strength of them I dont see them as "good enough"

There are even some that say its not much more than a toy.

Time will tell I suppose but apparently they are no where near a FLIR unit.
I did notice one for sale on the Used Guns site within weeks of being released here in Aussie....hmmmmm.

--------------------

Ripp
.577 member

#298885 - 11/04/17 10:33 PM

Quote:

I ran around the net Ripp and checked reviews on the Leupold TI unit and on the strength of them I dont see them as "good enough"

There are even some that say its not much more than a toy.

Time will tell I suppose but apparently they are no where near a FLIR unit.
I did notice one for sale on the Used Guns site within weeks of being released here in Aussie....hmmmmm.

Well, the one I looked at didn't seem like a toy..but then again, I was mostly looking at women walking around..so I may have been distracted..

Ripp

--------------------

gryphon
.450 member

#298890 - 12/04/17 05:10 AM

I was disappointed Ripp in some of the reviews as I actually thought if the unit was any good I could put it to good use in some very heavy country here. My dog will point deer inside thick cover and look over his shoulder at me with a " wtf are you doing,come on you idiot its right there" and I havent a clue! So I did think one would be good to go.
I will wait till Mark 11 comes out.

Back to the scopes..the scopes we are using that are,what? 10-15- years old or more on some of the rifles are still good enough to take out hunting.

If I listen to the salesmen my 10 year old SLC Swaro`s should be retired,I do have SEL Swaro`s also and cant tell the diff,BUT then they dont have Swarovision lol!

Do i need Swarovision?

I actually walked over to a bush edge paddock and looked at six feeding deer 1/2 an hour ago in the full moonlight. I was using my 'too old' Swaro`s and doubt anything except perhaps 56mm lenses would do any better no matter what sales tell me.

Yep I`m a skeptical bastard!

--------------------

Ripp
.577 member

#298892 - 12/04/17 07:08 AM

Quote:

I was disappointed Ripp in some of the reviews as I actually thought if the unit was any good I could put it to good use in some very heavy country here. My dog will point deer inside thick cover and look over his shoulder at me with a " wtf are you doing,come on you idiot its right there" and I havent a clue! So I did think one would be good to go.
I will wait till Mark 11 comes out.

Back to the scopes..the scopes we are using that are,what? 10-15- years old or more on some of the rifles are still good enough to take out hunting.

If I listen to the salesmen my 10 year old SLC Swaro`s should be retired,I do have SEL Swaro`s also and cant tell the diff,BUT then they dont have Swarovision lol!

Do i need Swarovision?

I actually walked over to a bush edge paddock and looked at six feeding deer 1/2 an hour ago in the full moonlight. I was using my 'too old' Swaro`s and doubt anything except perhaps 56mm lenses would do any better no matter what sales tell me.

Yep I`m a skeptical bastard!

Agree--I also have Leupolds on many of my rifles. In fact before I went to Cameroon in January I put a 2-12 Vari-X6 on my 375. H&H --has a red dot you can adjust for brightness ..really like that scope..and for that caliber and what I was hunting, the perfect scope..My all time favorite from Leupold is the Vari-X 3, 4-14x42--pretty sure I own a dozen or more of those on different rifles..

Think my Swaro's are a big brighter but not sure enough to justify double the money..And I have had maybe 2 I have sent back in my entire life.one of which was used..the other was on a 300 Win mag for about 16 years..btw, have also sent back 1 Swaro..so they are not immune...

For what you want to use and based on my use at the show pretty sure it would work.but, the next model I am sure is right around the corner..

Ripp

--------------------

gryphon
.450 member

#298898 - 12/04/17 10:22 AM

"but, the next model I am sure is right around the corner..
"

Yep,thats it,we buy these latest models and in two years they will be overtaken by the next latest models and then the next X-FUKU model How far can they go in convincing us that the best scope we bought 20 years ago is no good!

I doubt if there is anyone alive that can tell the difference in scopes made a few years apart.

I reckon thats a test that a gun mag could do.

Test say one brand of scopes/binos that have been made over the last 20 years and actually see what improvements clarity wise have been made with each model..each more expensive model that is.

Using an eye chart at twilight etc.

--------------------

Homer
.416 member

Reged: 07/04/09
Loc: Canberra, Australia
      #299225 - 18/04/17 07:59 PM

G'Day Fella's,

Thanks for posting Ripp and interesting.
The 2-10 x 42, look the goods for me.
I like Leupold hunting scope a lot, as they are both compact in size and light weight.

Further to the Thermal Imaging units, a mate of mine has a Flir monocular......and it really is cheating! LOL!
You can actually see the foot print signatures, of where a Kangaroo has just hopped thru a paddock!
When you follow them along, you then find the owner, sitting there, doing what Skippy's do.

Regards
Homer

--------------------
"Beware the Lolly Pop of Mediocrity,
Lick it Once and You Will Suck Forever"

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2209

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com