Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Tang Safety on a 1910 MS

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Mannlicher Discussion forum & Archive

Pages: 1
karamoja
.275 member

Reged: 25/04/12
Loc: Herefordshire, GB
Tang Safety on a 1910 MS
      #298589 - 07/04/17 05:49 AM

Hi all,

I am considering buying a MS. It does not have any scope rings as yet - I would like to scope it as low as possible, which I am quite happy sorting out via recknagel etc. How low will an apel side mount go? However, does any one know of a tang safety available or how this can be achieved from scratch as I guess the flag safety will not function?
The rifle in question has a pop up aperture sight which I may swap for a tang or even a side safety?

Thank you - Karamoja

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Rothhammer1
.400 member

Reged: 06/01/17
Loc: The Redwoods of California
Re: Tang Safety on a 1910 MS [Re: karamoja]
      #298648 - 07/04/17 08:11 PM

It's your rifle (if you go ahead with purchase), but allow me to be the first to publicly cringe at the thought of modifying an original Mannlicher Schoenauer M1910, unless it's in awfully rough shape to start with.

My suggestion would be to try the rifle first with only the iron sights. The early MS rifles (I have an M1910 Takedown) were designed and configured for fast, instinctive sight acquisition (snap shooting) with iron sights. They were highly regarded, in part, for this reason.

When using a claw mount scope (mine has a period Gerard 'B'), the geometry goes cattywhompus a bit, thus I see the desire for the lowest mount possible. If it did not have a scope, however, I would not add one as original, uncut, MS rifles aren't getting any less rare and desirable.

The post - WW2 models of 1956, 1961 , etc. were better suited for scopes with their 'Monte Carlo' stocks. The later ones are predrilled for a side mount. I believe they also had an additional safety.

Again, though, most importantly... it's your rifle.

--------------------
Citizen of the Cherokee Nation

deeangeo
.300 member

Reged: 09/05/15
Loc: United Kingdom
Re: Tang Safety on a 1910 MS [Re: Rothhammer1]
      #298679 - 08/04/17 05:06 AM

A very knowledgeable chap to speak to is Erwin at Alan Rhone in Wrexham.
I bought a combination of Recknagel & Ziegler mounts and rings to scope my M1903 via Alan Rhone.
Erwin was a considerable help & a fan of MSch rifles.

--------------------
Blaser K95 Luxus Kipplaufbüchse, .25-06 Rem. Schmidt & Bender 8x56 & Nosler 110gn Accubond = Game Over!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 32 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 1889

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com