Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Jeffery Mauser 404

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Mauser Discussion Forum

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
Claydog
.375 member

Reged: 17/08/12
Loc: Katherine, Northern Territory ...
Jeffery Mauser 404
      #297671 - 24/03/17 10:47 AM

The serial number puts it at 1907. Looks the same as other early Jeffery's I have seen. No metal magazine box and some metal removed from the action to allow the round to fit. Looks to have had some restoration done on it in the past as there is some pitting in the metal particularly beneath the stock. She has seen some use as the end of the bore is fairly worn. I imagine it was made for a game department as the wood is very plain and has W J Jeffery stamped in the barrel and on the action. Not engraved as the high end rifles were. No address on the barrel either. Double stage trigger and folding leaf sights. Nice and light and comfortable to shoot. Has never had one of those pesky scopes fitted. I use it when guiding and it been carried much more than it has been fired. You can see the darker timber where it has been handled over the years and from my greasy palm. Brings a smile to my face every time I pick her up.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Huvius
.416 member

Reged: 04/11/07
Loc: Colorado
Re: Jeffery Mauser 404 [Re: Claydog]
      #297674 - 24/03/17 12:04 PM

Aaahhhh.
What a cool gun.
I like the way the front ring is cut away to accommodate the long cartridges. I think it looks nicer than a notch or the way Westley often cut away the right side only.

--------------------
He who lives in the past is doomed to enjoy it.

gryphon
.450 member

Reged: 01/01/03
Loc: Sambar ground/Victoria/Austral...
Re: Jeffery Mauser 404 [Re: Huvius]
      #297677 - 24/03/17 12:15 PM

That`s the way a rifle looks when it has been carried for years and as they should be.

--------------------
Get off the chair away from the desk and get out in the bush and enjoy life.

MMBA
.275 member

Reged: 12/12/15
Loc: NSW Australia
Re: Jeffery Mauser 404 [Re: gryphon]
      #297678 - 24/03/17 12:33 PM

Form follows function and a deadly elegance it is (apart from the trigger guard but thats just me).

The cutout in the ring - is that so a loaded cartridge can be ejected from an action that is a tight fit to begin with?

Claydog
.375 member

Re: Jeffery Mauser 404 [Re: MMBA]
      #297685 - 24/03/17 01:25 PM

Here is a photo of the top of the action showing how the metal was removed to fit the round. Metal has been removed front and back though quite neatly done. Functions very well. The rounds are tight in the magazine and a loaded round ejects well. I would imagine that is what the receiver cut out is for.

mckinney
.400 member

Reged: 29/01/09
Loc: usa
      #297699 - 24/03/17 05:09 PM

Nice rifle! The Jefferies seem harder to find, to me anyway, than Rigbys, Hollands etc. I just haven't seen them in many years of looking. Always wanted an original in .333

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
      #297701 - 24/03/17 05:22 PM

Very nice mate. These photos show the rifle much better and its stock does look orginal. Maybe touched up in the past. Though I wouldn't know.

Good to see an example of a good quality working rifle of the time. More like what many of common hunter or wildlife worker may have carried or been issued with. I still think this one might be a class above the base grade though.

I think it would be a real pleasure to use such a rifle and especially for you, as YOUR working rifle.

i wonder what its history is. If a rifle could talk.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Waidmannsheil
.400 member

Reged: 19/04/13
Loc: Melbourne Australia
Re: Jeffery Mauser 404 [Re: NitroX]
      #297729 - 24/03/17 09:50 PM

Claydog, bloody nice rifle, really looks like it has done some work but been loved at the same time. The modification at rear of the receiver is very well done and very practical. Having a large radius like that as opposed to a small cutout would surely make it a lot easier to feed rounds into the magazine, especially under duress as bullet nose would find it's way towards the center by itself when pushed down. Good for loading the magazine without having to look down, handy with a dangerous game rifle. Really nice, well done.

Waidmannsheil.

--------------------
There is nothing wrong with vegetarian food, so long as there is meat with it.

eagle27
.400 member

Reged: 24/01/09
Loc: Nelson, New Zealand
Re: Jeffery Mauser 404 [Re: Waidmannsheil]
      #297754 - 25/03/17 07:51 AM

A nice find. Identical opening up work carried out to the feed ramp and rear of the magazine as has been done on my own Oberndorf Mauser, although my receiver ring has not been notched or scalloped. I didn't think they needed to be, cartridges load easily into the magazine and loaded rounds extract and eject perfectly from the chamber. Mine does have a magazine box which takes cartridges at normal factory OAL.

I've always wondered about the fairly radical cut down of the feed ramp which of course is the lower locking lug recess too, It seems that the safety of the lockup hasn't been overly compromised and if Jeffery did it this way then I suppose we can have confidence that this modification was okay. Good to see a rifle with this modification that came from the master of this work. Scalloping or notching out the receiver ring behind the top lug recess is something I am surprised was done especially when not needed. At least if this area is untouched then the top lug is as fully supported as it left the Mauser factory.

Nevertheless your Jeffery is the epitome of a classic workhorse, designed to be used and one of the best for the purpose.

93x64mm
.416 member

Reged: 07/12/11
Loc: Nth QLD Australia
Re: Jeffery Mauser 404 [Re: eagle27]
      #297755 - 25/03/17 08:14 AM

Quote:

Nevertheless your Jeffery is the epitome of a classic workhorse, designed to be used and one of the best for the purpose.

No one could put it better than this!
A wonderful rifle to have & pass on Claydog.

Rule303
.416 member

Reged: 05/07/09
Loc: Woodford Qld
Re: Jeffery Mauser 404 [Re: eagle27]
      #297760 - 25/03/17 09:07 AM

"Nevertheless your Jeffery is the epitome of a classic workhorse, designed to be used and one of the best for the purpose."

I to agree with this.

My type of rifle, nothing fancy just function while looking elegant. if only it could talk.

FlatTop45
.300 member

Reged: 31/05/16
Loc: South Texas, U.S.A.
Re: Jeffery Mauser 404 [Re: Rule303]
      #297766 - 25/03/17 01:36 PM

What a timeless classic! Simple and elegant.

J

eagle27
.400 member

Reged: 24/01/09
Loc: Nelson, New Zealand
Re: Jeffery Mauser 404 [Re: FlatTop45]
      #297767 - 25/03/17 01:53 PM

Claydog, if ever you need a "pesky scope" because like me your eyesight decides to get a bit pesky, then this is one way of doing it with only three drilled and tapped holes required. Keeps the original bolt configuration, retains a good open action area for easy loading and still allows perfect use of the open sights when the scope is removed.
I did mine years ago originally for a reflex sight and then replaced with the little Leupold. A good compromise for deteriorating eye sight without radically changing the originality of the rifle.

MMBA
.275 member

#297926 - 27/03/17 01:13 PM

Claydog I have looked but the only foto of the ring seems to be in the original post not this post? Have I missed it?

I bet she (?) click clacks smooth as glass for if not a skeleton in Africa would have pieces of rusting rifle next to it (LOL sort of!).

Do hope you have noted as much of the provenance as is known - until we can speak riflese stories from humans are all we have. And this Lady would have stories and stories!

MMBA
.275 member

#297929 - 27/03/17 02:16 PM

Allgood Claydog the foto loaded this time, it did not last time so I am not blind!

Claydog
.375 member

#297934 - 27/03/17 04:00 PM

MMBA I do not know anything much about the rifle prior to the friend I bought it from getting it. Hard to get information on Jeffery's at the moment but I am still trying. I know it has had an interesting life since I have owned it and it has done everything I have asked of it.

458Win
.333 member

Reged: 15/12/06
Loc: Alaska
      #297965 - 28/03/17 04:05 AM

Nice to see another original old Jeffery still working for a living.
When I contacted Jeffery to see when mine was built (1906) I was also told that those first few years the rifles were basically contracted out to individual builders in the industry in small lots of 5 to 10 rifles.

--------------------
Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either never used one - or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Claydog
.375 member

Re: Jeffery Mauser 404 [Re: 458Win]
      #298002 - 28/03/17 11:49 AM

Phil
I saw yours on an older post and posted that mine was the serial number after yours. I received an email from W J Jeffery yesterday who said they are sending me the records for my rifle. I having been trying for a while with little success so feel a little exited I must admit. Many thanks go to Pugwash for his help.

MMBA
.275 member

#298003 - 28/03/17 12:39 PM

Claydog great news on the records for your rifle!

Jeffery catalogues for various years are available as reprints on a notorious auction website. I bought a Rigby and a Westley Richards catalogue and they are excellent for the info but ok for production.

Claydog
.375 member

#298008 - 28/03/17 01:52 PM

Ownership of the Jeffery records has changes hands a bit and I had all but given up. I resent an email from 12 months ago and got a reply straight away. See what happens I guess.

3DogMike
.400 member

Reged: 29/01/15
Loc: Western Slope, Colorado USA
      #298049 - 29/03/17 05:29 AM

arggggg......double post.....crawling slow internet.

Edited by 3DogMike (29/03/17 05:37 AM)

3DogMike
.400 member

Reged: 29/01/15
Loc: Western Slope, Colorado USA
      #298051 - 29/03/17 05:34 AM

Quote:

Ownership of the Jeffery records has changes hands a bit and I had all but given up. I resent an email from 12 months ago and got a reply straight away. See what happens I guess.

The present owner of the existing Jeffery records (only the daybooks) would be Mr. Thomas Friedkin in Houston, Texas. Independently wealthy Houston Toyota Dealer and Safari operation in Tanzania; holds on to the records like they were gold (really ought to be in a museum research library)......they are accessed by a Friedkin protege twice a year in order to research serial number info.
Enquiries by Post or email to the Friedkin Group for Jeffery info go unanswered.....

Your best bet is to have "Pugwash" here on Nitro Express pursue this on your behalf. Took about 10 months but I did ultimately get a photocopy of the daybook page showing my Jeffery .577 BPE.
I am indebted to Pugwash for his kindness.
- Mike

--------------------
"Here's to killing people you don't like with people you do"

"Will Rogers never met a fighter pilot"
- Anon

“Always carry a flask of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore always carry a small snake."
-- W. C. Fields

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: Jeffery Mauser 404 [Re: 3DogMike]
      #298056 - 29/03/17 07:25 AM

Nice - well used rifle - been in and out of a rifle case a few times. Leather or probably a canvas, I'd guess. Look at the bluing wear on the standing sight.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

Iowa_303s
.400 member

Reged: 22/03/13
Loc: Iowa, USA
Re: Jeffery Mauser 404 [Re: DarylS]
      #298058 - 29/03/17 08:08 AM

Great looking rifle Claydog!
Are you planning to put it to work on the buff in your part of the world?

--------------------
Matt

formerly known as Iowa_303

"Once your reputation is ruined you can live your life quite freely."

"Enkelkinder über alles"

Claydog
.375 member

Re: Jeffery Mauser 404 [Re: Iowa_303s]
      #298063 - 29/03/17 09:09 AM

IOWA 303 I have owned it for a few years now and use it as my back up rifle when guiding. It is perfect for that pastime because it is fairly light weight and very comfortable to carry over a distance. I would be surprised if it was much over 8 pound. Fits me well and functions as you would expect it too. I have lost it off the side of the toyota and had to back track with the GPS to find it, fallen down the side of an escarpment with it that I had no business climbing and even fire it at times. I had one serious charge from a wounded bull last year that it stopped and a number of wounded animals that it spined as they were heading for parts unknown so it gets a fairly good work out and is under no circumstances a safe queen.

Daryl you are correct on the case. It is padded canvas and the rifle goes in and out all day when I am hunting. I would say I am responsible for a lot of that wear.

Mike Pugwash gave me the contact I have now and is a different name to the one you noted. The email I received from them yesterday was a W J Jeffery email address that said they have asked a colleague for the records and will come back to me as soon as possible so I will kick back and see what happens. Like I said many thanks to Pugwash, owe you a carton my friend. At least.

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 29 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 14314

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com