Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: The Rigby Highland Stalker rifle

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Mauser Discussion Forum

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)
rigbymauser
.400 member

Reged: 15/05/05
Loc: Denmark
Re: The Rigby Highland Stalker rifle [Re: PatagonHunter]
      #296944 - 13/03/17 07:40 AM

A friend of mine visited IWA here last week and handled the Rigby stalker rifle. He was very impressed(and very tempted to order one). Best gun for the money in comparison to Karl Hauptmann and Peter Hofer.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Marrakai
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: Darwin, Top End of Australia
Re: The Rigby Highland Stalker rifle [Re: rigbymauser]
      #296969 - 13/03/17 12:32 PM

I particularly liked seeing the leather muzzle-cover on the stalking rifle in the promotional video, since I recently acquired from the previous owner that which came fitted to the Rigby .275 in my gunsafe. Sure looks better than a couple of wraps of insulation tape! (although it must be removed before shooting of course, that is not an issue with the style of deer-stalking portrayed in the youtube clip)

Also, in line with some of the comments here, I personally think 7.8 lbs may be a little heavier than it needs to be for the .275 chambering. What we like about these classic sporters is their slender elegance, and IMO Jeffery and Rigby sporters from the good'ol'days got it right at 6.5 to 7 lbs. My example weighs 6lbs 9oz for example, and my friend's Jeffery is a hair under 7lbs.

Nevertheless, the Highland Stalker is a marvellous thing to be producing and promoting at this level against the incoming tide of black plastic and stainless steel, and the people at Rigby's are to be commended.

A reminder too that your next custom stalker or big game rifle can be built 'virtually' and priced up on the Rigby website. I go there occasionally to dream....!

--------------------
Marrakai
When the bull drops, the bullshit stops!
--------------------------------
www.marrakai-adventure.com.au

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: The Rigby Highland Stalker rifle [Re: Marrakai]
      #296975 - 13/03/17 01:20 PM

Quote:

Also, in line with some of the comments here, I personally think 7.8 lbs may be a little heavier than it needs to be for the .275 chambering. What we like about these classic sporters is their slender elegance, and IMO Jeffery and Rigby sporters from the good'ol'days got it right at 6.5 to 7 lbs. My example weighs 6lbs 9oz for example, and my friend's Jeffery is a hair under 7lbs.

Somethng to bear in mind. Some of those sorts of weights, in a walnut all steel rifle are in the modern "custom" range of rifle design. So if someone wanted that, paying for a custom rifle - London Best - could probably deliver it. A 6 1/2 lb all steel walnut rifle today usually has other compromises which usually would mean lesser walnut or a lighter wood or a lightweight 'plastic' stock, shorter barrel, alloy use not steel etc etc. Walnut and all steel would require a lot of extra work. At least that is my opinion. And at twice the price ... The average rifle buyer would not want to pay the premium for all of that.

Also in .30-06, 8x57S, and especially 9.3x62 a 6 1/2 lb rifle would be too light for many owners. Many would stick a huge heavy scope on top of it anyway.

Same as comments as people saying "I prefer a ######". Yep at TWICE the price or more of course the fully custom bespoke rifle is often nicer and has higher quality features. You pay in life for what you get. The other brand(s) mentioned do cost over TWICE as much. Rigby's London Best custom rifles also start at twice the price of the Highland Stalker model. What does a vintage Rigby go for nowadays? Don't answer on this thread, start a new one if people are interested, but I was shocked to see one priced in the USA at over US$20,000!!! All it costs is money for everything people want. whether old or new ... ha ha, my wallet is not bottomless obviously like some people's are ...

Quote:

Nevertheless, the Highland Stalker is a marvellous thing to be producing and promoting at this level against the incoming tide of black plastic and stainless steel, and the people at Rigby's are to be commended.

A reminder too that your next custom stalker or big game rifle can be built 'virtually' and priced up on the Rigby website. I go there occasionally to dream....!

And these steel and walnut rifles whether the Big Game model or this new Highland Stalker rifle are much in the news and sell like hot cakes. I think this new model will sell faster than it can be made for a period of time. Even at the price it costs.

Didn't know that. Will have to look at the website.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Edited by NitroX (13/03/17 01:29 PM)

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: The Rigby Highland Stalker rifle [Re: NitroX]
      #296979 - 13/03/17 01:51 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Jim Corbett's .275 nestled amongst the new Highland Stalkers.

Read a comment today. The new rifles also can be ordered with the option of the bolt shroud/cocking piece peep sight.

On the rounding of pads Marc Newton of Rigby has sent me some comments. He keenly reads the Rigby posts here and obviously takes the feedback and comments seriously.

Marc Newton comments:

An FYI on the edges of the pads, they are all like this until we fit them to each customer. This is included in the price.

You can cut them down, you cannot grow them back

The stock is also very slim and 'snakey' in the hands has Paul Roberts used to say to me. It handles like a magic wand and there is nothing else like it on the market for the same price.

Lastly the rifle in the middle of the guns on the table is Jim corbetts .275. It's so worn there is no chequering and the grip has lost a fair amount of wood all over.

Someone else said this on the Rigby pages, about the rifle second from the right, that the stock has a real "Tiger" striping to the walnut grain. Fabulous walnut on that stock. Rigby shouldn't show that rifle too much as everyone will want one with a stock like that.

What I like about that stock, and hopefully the blank I have put away does have a similar result when cut, is it is a "Tiger" rifle. In a .275, a calibre Corbett DID use for a maneater tiger hunt.

"The Chowgarh Tiger" by David Southgate

(Not sure if the special awarded "plate" rifle was the one used at the time or awarded later? But cool painting by David Southgate of the event.)

If you remember I had/have (a long term project, slow finances) a project to build my "tiger rifle", using a highly grained striped red tinged stock. Agonised and consulted on the chambering/cartridge choice. I did pick the .318 WR. But what could be better than a .275! However I will stick to the .318 for that project. .275 might work "one handed"! But is not a tiger calibre of choice!

I think the Rigby stock above has even more of a Tiger striping pattern than mine.

"Tiger" M98 rifle
http://forums.nitroexpress.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=86030&an=&page=0&vc=1

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#297000 - 14/03/17 12:33 AM

Off topic posts transferred to a new thread. In Mauser forum.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#297010 - 14/03/17 01:46 AM

Now that I have wasted an hour providing answers to the off topic queries on a new thread and also on PMs ...

Anyway, now I can bring some new CONTENT to the forums. Which is much more constructive.

I saw that the Rigby peep sight was an option for this rifle. At additional cost of course. So went looking:

I particularly like these peep sights. But having a scope, express wide V open sights and a peep sight, maybe a bit over kill, hey?

Also on the London Best page as Marrakai points out, one can construct one's own order. The Holland & Holland side mount was also listed there as an option. At additional price of course ...

So all your wants can be answered. All you need do is actually order, request the features and then pay for them. The last bit is what a lot of people forget in their armchair wish lists. it has to be paid for as well. The prices are all up there on the webpage.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Edited by NitroX (14/03/17 01:48 AM)

Waidmannsheil
.400 member

Reged: 19/04/13
Loc: Melbourne Australia
      #297449 - 21/03/17 07:40 AM

The importer here in Australia gave me a call letting me know that they have quite a few guns in all calibers arriving in May. Price will be AUD $11990 which is very close to the US price allowing a small bit for freight, customs etc. Very reasonable I thought and the importer was very helpful. There will be four stores around the country who will stock rifles so that people can have a look before they buy. I asked him about the recoil pad as Marc Newton from Rigby explained to us that it would be fitted to suit the customers requirements and that was included in the price. He wasn't aware of that but is going to find out and let me know how that would be achieved.

http://www.protactical.com.au/

Waidmannsheil.

--------------------
There is nothing wrong with vegetarian food, so long as there is meat with it.

Rell
.375 member

Reged: 03/12/04
Loc: Oyster Bay, NY, USA
Re: The Rigby Highland Stalker rifle [Re: Waidmannsheil]
      #297452 - 21/03/17 09:13 AM

I must confess I saw this and thought, to heavy for a 7x57, then I reread and saw 9.3x62 .....

I love a scoped light 9.3x62 as a companion for my 450-400 3. This is a steel for a light weight walking Safari rifle. Would have been perfect in Cameroon for Buff / Roan / Lord Darby Eland.

Very tempting, I'll have to pay attention at DSC show next year.

--------------------
450-400, 9.3x74r and 7x65r.

Homer
.400 member

Reged: 07/04/09
Loc: Canberra, Australia
Re: The Rigby Highland Stalker rifle [Re: Rell]
      #298141 - 30/03/17 10:19 AM

G'Day Fella's,

Further to this original post, I see www.qldgunexchange.com have these new Rigby Highland Stalkers, for sale at $12,000.00.
FYI, I just looked on their web site, and no details are posted there at present.

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm Donuts!

Doh!
Homer

--------------------
"Beware the Lolly Pop of Mediocrity,
Lick it Once and You Will Suck Forever"

gwh
.333 member

Reged: 28/01/08
Loc: Cairns Australia
Re: The Rigby Highland Stalker rifle [Re: Homer]
      #298199 - 31/03/17 10:26 AM

This thread is not helpful.

The more I look at and read about these Rigbys, the more I need one.

A 275 with a peep sight would make a superb addition to my safe!!!

The perfect Chital rifle!

--------------------
Hunt hard, shoot straight

"I speak of Africa and golden joys; the joy of wandering through lonely lands; the joy of hunting the mighty and terrible lords of the wilderness, the cunning, the wary and the grim"

Theodore Roosevelt, Khartoum, 1910

Iowa_303
.375 member

Reged: 22/03/13
Loc: Iowa, USA
Re: The Rigby Highland Stalker rifle [Re: gwh]
      #298201 - 31/03/17 11:00 AM

Quote:

This thread is not helpful.

The more I look at and read about these Rigbys, the more I need one.

A 275 with a peep sight would make a superb addition to my safe!!!

The perfect Chital rifle!

I completely agree.
Just what I need, another rifle for whitetailed deer!
Really love the look of these Rigbys but my wallet keeps telling me Husqvarna.
Oh well, its nice to look!

--------------------
Matt
"Once your reputation is ruined you can live your life quite freely."

"Enkelkinder über alles"

"Politicians must be allowed to panic. They need activity. It is their substitute for achievement."

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)

Extra information
1 registered and 17 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 8405

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com