Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Sporterised SMLE .303/.25

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Lee Speed Forum & Archive

Pages: 1
BillG500
.300 member

Reged: 16/10/14
Loc: Australia
Sporterised SMLE .303/.25
      #297301 - 18/03/17 08:58 PM

Always been keen on the Lee Speeds etc because of their looks as they always seem to look the goods. A while ago I bought an 1898 MK 1 in .303 to Sporterise. Anyway the joker I bought it off didn't have the correct bolt when he sold it to me so that project has gone out the window for now as I can't find the right one. But I did pick up a SMLE IN .303/25 for next to nothing, so that was my next target. After playing with a sporter stock for a while I got off Gordon Cusens, I put it all together the other day for the first time. And talk about feeling absolutely perfect is an understatement.....it just feels right. Light as, points very well, comes to the shoulder like a good rifle should. Now it's not a Genuine Lee Speed sporter I know. But the stock is a direct copy of one and the rifle has the genetics. I will however put a scope on this one, an old Pecar, mainly because it is a .25 cal and is better suited to one. What is it about the way these rifles are built, or the way the British used to build rifles that we have lost in today's times. I have handled a quite a few old rifles and they just feel so different to what we get today.
I've always been on the lookout for a Lee Speed sporter but have always been either a day late or a dollar short, next time I won't be.
And it will remain open sighted too.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
henry_r
.224 member

Reged: 11/11/16
Loc: nsw australia
Re: Sporterised SMLE .303/.25 [Re: BillG500]
      #297363 - 19/03/17 08:16 PM

Safety catch bolts do come up for sale from time to time. I think i have seen 3 or so in the last 6 months on the usual sites. Some where a little expensive though.

I have seen most of the bits to build up a Magazine Lee Metford 2 non safety bolt come up on that auction site in the last year and those are far less common.

Keep looking and you will find one.

Edited by henry_r (19/03/17 08:18 PM)

Claydog
.375 member

Reged: 17/08/12
Loc: Katherine, Northern Territory ...
Re: Sporterised SMLE .303/.25 [Re: henry_r]
      #297390 - 20/03/17 09:49 AM

For me it was that slim fore end and forward weight that always felt right about the early British rifles. They just had that look and feel that no one seems to want to replicate these days. Straight up old world charm.

VonGruff
.400 member

Reged: 08/02/09
Loc: South Otago, New Zealand.
Re: Sporterised SMLE .303/.25 [Re: Claydog]
      #297480 - 21/03/17 03:43 PM

I have located a MLE bolt (with safety) and can supply it if needed. I PM'd you Bill.

--------------------
Von Gruff.

Exodus 20:1-17

Acts 4:10-12

henry_r
.224 member

Reged: 11/11/16
Loc: nsw australia
Re: Sporterised SMLE .303/.25 [Re: VonGruff]
      #297492 - 21/03/17 08:42 PM

Why doesn't that surprise me VG.

Every time i go on the nz auction site i consider emigrating. The shear numbers of pre no1 mk3 lee's is mindboggling and while a lot are missing too many parts to restore they would be perfect for making lee speed styled rifles... but then i see the cost of everything else and i remember why i haven't moved.

BigEyeBob
.275 member

Reged: 12/05/16
Loc: Katherine Northern Territory ...
Re: Sporterised SMLE .303/.25 [Re: henry_r]
      #298112 - 29/03/17 07:28 PM

I bought a mkIII that had been converted to 303/25 by the Lithgow factory ,Id embarrass myself If I dislosed how little I paid for it ,you might accuse me of stealing it.
Any way the stock was split and badly repaired which I have fixed by planing the big sliver off flat and glued a new piece on and hand shaped it back to original shape , recut the factory checkering and refinished.
The rifle came with a Field side mount but no scope , I had an old Pecar 6x with 1" barrel and fitted that . Surprized with the bore of this rifle being like new ,bright shiny and no pitting at all .
303/25 is a great cartridge ,and I enjoy reloading and shooting it ,In fact I like the cartridge so much I have three rifles chambered in it. One Mauser 96 and another Lithgow converted MKIII .
With the Mauser the cartridge really shines and my loads are up there in amongst the 25 Roberts.
Love the Australian wildcat cartridges.
Also have a KAR98 Mauser in 303/270 which I enjoy as well .

--------------------
I'm not young enough to know every thing .

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 5 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2996

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com