Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Old Is Now New..!

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Lee Speed Forum & Archive

Pages: 1
Roy
.300 member

Reged: 06/09/15
Loc: New Mexico
Old Is Now New..!
      #297211 - 17/03/17 04:34 AM

Hi Gents,

Just a light hearted post/observation here that may be of interest.

I have always heard a great deal of critique (from non Enfield enthusiasts) about the two piece stock found on all the patterns of Enfield rifles we love. Touting all manner of complaints and criticism regarding the design. In contrast however, I have always found the design logical, practical and also very aesthetically pleasing and I suspect (preaching to the choir) I am not alone.

So with all that said I did have a little chuckle when I read the story and watched the video of the 'NEW Take-Down' rifle being offered by Sako (link below) which had a detachable butt-stock held in place by a large retaining bolt...sound familiar? I let out yet another chuckle when the 'take-down' actually required a screw-driver!

All that aside the rifle does look rather splendid and I'm sure will be a bid hit for the company but I couldn't help but reflect on those beloved 'old' Enfield rifles, so often criticized for this feature now being touted as 'NEW' and re-packaged in a modern sporting rifle.

Enjoy!

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2017/03/16/new-sako-85-black-wolf-85-exige-take-85-carbonlight/

Cheerio,

Roy

--------------------
My Website: www.wilkinsonfscollection.com

http://wilkinsonfscollection.com/wilkinsonfscollection.com/The_Lee-Speed_Rifle.html

Edited by Roy (17/03/17 04:37 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: Old Is Now New..! [Re: Roy]
      #297215 - 17/03/17 05:26 AM

Now - if moving that Pistol-grip lever forward released the

butt stock - they would have SOMETHING worthwhile! That, would make it a take-down.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

Roy
.300 member

Re: Old Is Now New..! [Re: DarylS]
      #297217 - 17/03/17 05:44 AM

Hi Daryl,

That was my thought exactly and in fact what I was expecting. When I watched the video and the demonstrators hand pulled back the leaver, I thought it would come apart and then they reached for a screw-driver! I can do pretty much the same with any of my Lee-Speeds, nothing new there.

Cheerio,

Roy

--------------------

http://wilkinsonfscollection.com/wilkinsonfscollection.com/The_Lee-Speed_Rifle.html

Waidmannsheil
.400 member

Reged: 19/04/13
Loc: Melbourne Australia
      #297222 - 17/03/17 06:28 AM

Agree, it would have been very neat to have that big impressive lever actually unlocked the stock rather than a screwdriver.

Don't forget though that Sauer and Blaser have been making rifles with two piece stocks for years and nobody has complained about those.
I would say that people complaining about the Lee-Speed two piece stock don't really know what they are talking about or else looking for something to write.

The only criticism of that stock I ever heard was that in close quarter combat when using the rifle as a club that the stock was not as strong as a one piece stock like a Mauser.

Waidmannsheil.

--------------------
There is nothing wrong with vegetarian food, so long as there is meat with it.

Roy
.300 member

Re: Old Is Now New..! [Re: Waidmannsheil]
      #297224 - 17/03/17 06:46 AM

Hi Waidmannsheil,

Well said..!

Gosh if one was to find oneself in a situation where you had to use your 'rifle' as a club, then I think your day couldn't get any worse!

Cheerio,

Roy

--------------------

Huvius
.416 member

Reged: 04/11/07
Loc: Colorado
      #297226 - 17/03/17 07:27 AM

Exactly!!
If you came out of a hand to hand clubbing with rifles type of confrontation alive, I'd say it must have worked just fine!!
Plus, if the stock broke, you'd have a nice steel bolt and action to bludgeon your enemy with!

--------------------
He who lives in the past is doomed to enjoy it.

rigbymauser
.400 member

Reged: 15/05/05
Loc: Denmark
Re: Old Is Now New..! [Re: Huvius]
      #297263 - 18/03/17 06:20 AM

Quote:

Exactly!!
If you came out of a hand to hand clubbing with rifles type of confrontation alive, I'd say it must have worked just fine!!
Plus, if the stock broke, you'd have a nice steel bolt and action to bludgeon your enemy with!

..I would say fix bajonets..

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: Old Is Now New..! [Re: rigbymauser]
      #297307 - 18/03/17 09:41 PM

When I see new rifle deesigns like that, from so many modern gunmakers, all I can say is

THANK GOD FOR RIGBY

and their building of new rifles out of steel, walnut in a classic design.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: Old Is Now New..! [Re: NitroX]
      #297308 - 18/03/17 10:02 PM

Reading the article, was thinking this rifle is another example of the Kaitlyn Jenner modern trend of ambigious very ugly rifles.

But glad I watched the video. That rifle with the walnut stock actually looks like a rifle, not some cross dresser plastic "enhanced" obimination ...

Quote:

A pistol grip without looking like one. The 85 Black Wolf has an ergonomic pistol grip to enable a natural and relaxed grip – without upsetting anyone with its looks.

You're kidding right ....

Quote:

The aluminum interface provides a stable bedding for the barrelled action, giving the rifle exceptional action accuracy.

But what about the use of sluminium. Understand it is there for weight reasons but ...

As for the screwdriver, I'd rather have a good tight strong connection rather than some fancy lever doing it all. Mauser M03 use a special screwdiver to remove the barrel as well.

I like the idea of takedowns. For exactly the reasons, travelling is easier with a shotgun or double rifle length case. In the "old" days, remember them, not long ago, before rediculous transport. travel and gun laws around the world, I used to "takedown" my Mauser 98 rifles, take them out of the action, and put the rifles cross wise in a solid suitcase. No gun case needed. The other reason I like many takedonws is if they accomodate switch barrels. Sako seems to have missed that opportunity here again.

But hey ...

... this Kaitlyn Jenner rifle even comes with two "nipples" to fondle on the forend ...

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Rule303
.416 member

Reged: 05/07/09
Loc: Woodford Qld
      #297338 - 19/03/17 09:24 AM

Quote:

Hi Waidmannsheil,

Well said..!

Gosh if one was to find oneself in a situation where you had to use your 'rifle' as a club, then I think your day couldn't get any worse!

Cheerio,

Roy

Well it did for my great uncle. Stuck in mud, empty magazine and bayonet not attached. enemy coming at him with bayonet attached, tripped on some barbed wire, bayonet through ankle. Uncle then used SMLE as a club, stock held and a while out of the trenched while he recovered.

I did notice they have modernized the SMLE method of removing the butt. Shorter screw driver required.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: Old Is Now New..! [Re: Rule303]
      #297358 - 19/03/17 05:22 PM

Oops, I see I made a mistake, the Black Wolf, aka the Kaitlyn Jenner rifle, is not a takedown. The Exige Model 85 is a takedown. Confusing having so many models with the same number, but one now being a takedown as well.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 4 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3333

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com