Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: FOOTAGE OF A CHARGING KODIAK BEAR

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in the Americas

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: FOOTAGE OF A CHARGING KODIAK BEAR [Re: 458Win]
      #295359 - 16/02/17 11:18 AM

It's amazing how many 'bow' hunts are completed with a rifle - either one the hunter brought, just in case, or one borrowed from the guide.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
SharpsNitro
.375 member

Reged: 12/08/08
Loc: Arizona, USA
      #295377 - 16/02/17 02:40 PM

Completely understand. I've hunted with a bow and I would never consider doing a hunt like this. It's the wrong tool for the job.

Sarg
.400 member

Reged: 20/01/07
Loc: Nil
Re: FOOTAGE OF A CHARGING KODIAK BEAR [Re: DarylS]
      #295392 - 16/02/17 07:01 PM

I have personally Bow hunted Brown Bear on more than one occasion with out back up & no firearm, very scary & you know you are alive that is for sure !

Also guided many bow hunters, mostly on DG & consider most if not all do it for the kudos & not the hunting thrill/adventure of it !

458Win
.333 member

Reged: 15/12/06
Loc: Alaska
Re: FOOTAGE OF A CHARGING KODIAK BEAR [Re: Sarg]
      #296446 - 07/03/17 01:33 PM

I have a friend here in Alaska who specializes in guiding bow hunters and who has taken many bears on his own. He eventually quit carrying a backup handgun as he said all the bears he had taken focused their attention on the arrow, rather than him. I don't doubt him but this video shows that they don't always ! Sort of like my bumping into an irritable boar with only my 9mm ! It may be rare, but it can happen

--------------------
Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either never used one - or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Homer
.416 member

Reged: 07/04/09
Loc: Canberra, Australia
      #297037 - 14/03/17 09:29 AM

G'Day Fella's,

458Win/Phil, you say you know the guide in the video, do you know if he also guides for Rocky Mtn Goat (on Kodiak), as well? If so, could you please let me know his contact details.

Regards
Homer

--------------------
"Beware the Lolly Pop of Mediocrity,
Lick it Once and You Will Suck Forever"

DarylS
.700 member

#297042 - 14/03/17 11:46 AM

Quote:

I have a friend here in Alaska who specializes in guiding bow hunters and who has taken many bears on his own. He eventually quit carrying a backup handgun as he said all the bears he had taken focused their attention on the arrow, rather than him. I don't doubt him but this video shows that they don't always ! Sort of like my bumping into an irritable boar with only my 9mm ! It may be rare, but it can happen

If you are the one who is unarmed, it only needs to happen once - just once is too many.

--------------------
Daryl

Mike_Bailey
.400 member

Reged: 26/02/07
Loc: GB
Re: FOOTAGE OF A CHARGING KODIAK BEAR [Re: Claydog]
      #297055 - 14/03/17 08:26 PM

Quote:

My general rule of thumb for bow hunting and for any particular weapon is if you wouldn't hunt that animal with that weapon on your own with no back up then you shouldn't be using that weapon for that animal.

my thoughts exactly
best
Mike

DarylS
.700 member

Re: FOOTAGE OF A CHARGING KODIAK BEAR [Re: Mike_Bailey]
      #297066 - 15/03/17 04:53 AM

When bow hunting moose or deer, I used to pack a long blade belt knife as packing handguns is forbidden here.
If legal, I'd have packed my M29 and thought nothing of it.
As far as hunting grizzly or the coastal brown bears - I have no desire with a rifle or bow.

I've guided a couple guys on a moose, wolf and grizzly hunt. They were both wimps and thought killing a grizzly would prove they were men. That was quite distasteful to me.

They both shot moose and wolves and wanted a free hunt the next year because they didn't get to shoot a grizzly, too.

G--- and I one almost under our up-steam tree stand and all the hunter did was sweat heavily and shake, beads of water running down his face and banging his knees together, shaking so badly the trees branches were shaking - LOL - it was hilarious.

He was OK until the bear let out a roar - it had chasing a 2-point bull moose with the moose coming close to one of our anchor trees, then jumped across the stream, crashing off through the bush. The bear stopped, a VERY close bow shot away, let out a roar, splashed across the little steam and charged after the moose. Poor G---, white as a ghost. That was just before dark and we had a good kilometer and 1/2 to walk bush trails back to the camp but had to wait until the moon came out for visibility. I had to coax him out of the tree and as he said - "cover me while I climb down" LOL.

We got back to camp and he'd lost his cap along the way. He told F--- he'd didn't know where it was. Plans were changed and Igor and F--- hunted that stand the next day and there was G---'- hat, right in the middle of the trail, a branch had knocked it off his head and he was too scared to stop and pick it up.

Igor and I had a good chuckle over that event.

Grenadier
.375 member

Reged: 20/02/08
Loc: North of the Columbia, USA
      #297076 - 15/03/17 08:44 AM

I have never been in that situation. Ive never hunted the big bears and I haven't used a bow to hunt anything but rabbits and that was decades ago. Therefore, I cannot be critical. But I do have a question.

The first arrow missed. Then the hunter took a long time to make a second shot. It looked like he was waiting for the bear to get closer and present a better target. That seems reasonable. But after the second, misplaced, shot the bear was around for what seemed to me to be a long time. Why didn't the hunter put another arrow in him, especially when the bear stopped and turned toward them? Wouldn't that have been the prudent thing to do? I'm not trying to second guess the hunter. I'm just wondering why he didn't shoot again.

--------------------
~

DarylS
.700 member

Re: FOOTAGE OF A CHARGING KODIAK BEAR [Re: Grenadier]
      #297088 - 15/03/17 12:45 PM

The first arrow hit low and back in the guts.

This arrow (broadhead and some shaft) is seen protruding from the bear's left side after the second shot and the bear comes up higher on the slope. The broadhead, dripping blood, is protruding out the bear's guts. After the bear is dropped, there is a closeup of the bear on it's right side and a bunch of bloody fat sticking out the gut exit hole.
The second shot was a good one and was very well placed.

The first, all important shot with a bow (or any firearm on a bear), was simply a very poor hit.

--------------------
Daryl

Grenadier
.375 member

Reged: 20/02/08
Loc: North of the Columbia, USA
      #297101 - 15/03/17 03:57 PM

Then I am confused. The original article where the video is posted and the quote NitroX posted with the OP state:

Quote:

As you saw, he missed the bear completely with his first shot, then wounded it with his second.

--------------------
~

Claydog
.375 member

Reged: 17/08/12
Loc: Katherine, Northern Territory ...
      #297103 - 15/03/17 05:28 PM

I watched it back and no way does he miss with that first shot. Like Daryl said it appears to hit the gut. The second shot looked fairly well placed. I have not bow hunted bear but from guiding bow hunters on buffalo I would say the reason he did not take another shot was that if you do put in a good shot and the animal is unaware of your location it can be risky to take another shot and give away your presence. Not just for the danger of being charged but often an animal when hit with an arrow may not realise what is happening. If you go for another shot and are noticed the adrenaline kicks in and they may travel way further and faster than one shot well and unaware of you. If you are sure of your shot sometimes it is better to sit tight. At this point the guide would have been in control of what was happening. If you expect instant one shot kills probably best not to use a bow.

DarylS
.700 member

Re: FOOTAGE OF A CHARGING KODIAK BEAR [Re: Claydog]
      #297126 - 16/03/17 02:50 AM

Whomever wrote the article saying the first was a miss, hopes you do not see the arrow penetrating into the guts. He may have been asked to write it that way - or it was written by the hunter who would have known full well where that first arrow hit.

Every time I watch it, I see the arrow enter the guts fromt eh right side, the side towards the hunters, and the lit arrow knock disappears into the bear's guts. It may help to make the video larger.

After the second shot,then the bear turns slightly to his right on the little knob, you can see the blood drenched arrow shaft and broadhead sticking out his left side, way down low in the guts. The second arrow stuck in higher up with almost 1/2 the shaft with lighted knock, still sticking out his side, hitting just behind the leg/shoulder bone, penetrating from the left side to the right side.

Grenadier, perhaps your computer or screen does not have the resolution to show this - trust me, it is there.

--------------------
Daryl

gryphon
.450 member

Reged: 01/01/03
Loc: Sambar ground/Victoria/Austral...
      #297136 - 16/03/17 05:40 AM

I have done the forensic look again and its still as plain as plain that the first arrow is a hit in the guts,ah journalistic licence eh.
I did see the RF shaking slightly also..dont blame it ha ha.

--------------------
Get off the chair away from the desk and get out in the bush and enjoy life.

DarylS
.700 member

Re: FOOTAGE OF A CHARGING KODIAK BEAR [Re: gryphon]
      #297138 - 16/03/17 05:58 AM

On second thought - the second arrow might have been just a bit high, but on the angle presented, probably about as good as it could be - but would have pierced both lungs, just over the heart, with only about 8" sticking out the left side.

Afterall, hind sight, is the most accurate.

--------------------
Daryl

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
      #297185 - 16/03/17 08:34 PM

Quote:

Then I am confused. The original article where the video is posted and the quote NitroX posted with the OP state:

Quote:

As you saw, he missed the bear completely with his first shot, then wounded it with his second.

Yeah I always saw the first arrow as a hit but didn't really think to much about the comment in the narration. Guess I took it as meaning "missed a vital spot".

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

casper50
.400 member

Reged: 18/10/07
Loc: Alaska
Re: FOOTAGE OF A CHARGING KODIAK BEAR [Re: NitroX]
      #298009 - 28/03/17 02:00 PM

I've hunted Kodiak browns twice by myself. No way will I hunt one with a bow. I turned down some small bears and came home empty handed but still happy both times. I was lucky again this year and drew another tag for kodiak. Going next month. Again I'm taking my .338 BAR. I would love to take my 1913 .404 Jeffery by G.E. Lewis but might have a need for a scope as most of the bears that I have seen have been a ways off. I am not going to mount one on the .404.

Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
Re: FOOTAGE OF A CHARGING KODIAK BEAR [Re: NitroX]
      #338077 - 18/02/20 03:39 AM

That's great footage...

Forgot about this one...

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

Edited by Ripp (18/02/20 04:27 AM)

500Boswell
.400 member

Reged: 21/07/06
Loc: Queensland
      #338091 - 18/02/20 07:38 AM

If I ever got to hunt one ,would take my 378 ,if it was charging ,well um id like to have my 500 Double !

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 14 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 11262

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com