Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Light Bullet Load - .375H&H

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Big Bore Rifles

Pages: 1
DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Light Bullet Load - .375H&H
      #297159 - 16/03/17 01:34 PM

Was just re-browsing the Feb. 2017 Handloader magazine and there was an article by J. Barnsness on reduced bullet loads, from the .17Hornet to the .45/70- including, of course such small bores as the .375H&H round.

He used the 220gr. Hornady .375" FN which was developed for the .375 Winchester as chambered first in the Model 94 Winchester and then later in the M336 Marlin & Thompson Centre SS break action rifle.

The reason for this load, was for a practice round - now THIS is important - wake up! to hit the same poi as his 300gr. loads in his #1 Ruger for his upcoming African hunt. As well, the performance was about the same as the old deer, bear and moose killing .38/55 load of old.

his words:

"This load was developed for practice with the rifle's iron sights prior to an African Safari. It shot to the same place as full-power 300gr. loads, accounted for many prairie dogs and approximates .38/55 ballistics so will also work on deer. Remington cases were used."

220gr. Hornady FN - IMR4227 - 35.0gr. - Federal 215 - 3,358OAL - 1,920fps - 2.12" at 100 yards - (looks like a peep sight).

The reason I added moose to the equation, as I shot 2 moose with this same bullet, initial vel. 1,940fps from my wife's .375 Model 94 - one took 1 1/2 steps, the other 4 steps and down they went. Her rifle put them into 1 1/2" at 100 meters using 42.0gr. H335 powder. A moderate to light load- great accuracy and good killing power. It would most certainly work for Sambar as it was splendid on full grown moose.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Homer
.416 member

Reged: 07/04/09
Loc: Canberra, Australia
Re: Light Bullet Load - .375H&H [Re: DarylS]
      #297231 - 17/03/17 11:49 AM

G'day Fella's,

Yes Daryl, it was an interesting read.
Thank You for your personal experience on this.

Regards
Homer

--------------------
"Beware the Lolly Pop of Mediocrity,
Lick it Once and You Will Suck Forever"

Maxim
.224 member

Reged: 04/06/16
Loc: Michigan USA
Re: Light Bullet Load - .375H&H [Re: Homer]
      #297253 - 18/03/17 12:35 AM

Odd you should bring the article up as I have the very same vintage Dupont IMR Guide pictured however mine is dog eared and worn. The references to the .375 H&H are close to my experiences with it for practice.
A friend was going to Alaska and was lamenting the fact his .35 Whelen rounds were costing him a fortune. I offered to assemble some 158gr .357 (.358 dia) cast for his practice sessions of offhand, sitting, kneeling, and off sides of trees and such to prepare him for his hunt with a Ruger 77. Cutting costs only more by making the practice loads from the mountain of LC 30.06 brass I have. He was delighted, and though did not connect with a moose was glad to properly prepared. Now others with a .35 Whelen are coming out of the wood work seeking advice on 'practice rounds'. They are good to 100 yds and with a .3 cent primer, .12 cents of powder, and nearly free bullet, under .20 cents for a practice round is a bargain.

In my Whitworth .375 H&H the light jacketed perform well. So far I have not found a cast that is super accurate but good for snap shooting practice at 50-75 yds. I suspect I may be driving them too fast. More testing is needed.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 107 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 1982

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com