Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: First Sambar!

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Australia, NZ & the South Pacific

Pages: 1
NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
First Sambar!
      #269732 - 29/08/15 02:28 AM

Well time I posted these photos and short story. I know Gryphon is grinding his teeth about it!

I was heading over to Victoria for both the BGRC Nationals and then a week's hunting, before planning to attend the SHOW Show in Melbourne. Work got in the way meaning I couldn't make it to the BGRC competition and I planned to make use of the some of the days the next week to catch up on some urgent work, attend the SHOT Show and then hunt the following week instead.

I had arranged with Gryphon who generously offered to share some of his choice sambar spots with me and stay with him in his house. Gryphon lives in a region where sambar are resident in the mountain forests and he is always out after them with rifle or camera. A previous trip resulted in spotting a couple of sambar trotting off through the bush but no real chance of a shot, and neither were stags in any case. It would be interesting to see how this trip fared.

Typical forest scenes.

A rub tree.

The forest blocks abutt farm country with the deer making use of the good feed but heading back into the forest at dawn to seek cover during the day light hours.

The first morning saw a change in plans, a parked 4WD in the spot we planned to walk in at, meant someone was already in that area, so Gryph drove to another spot. A walk along a ridge through some more open country and we were away. Glassing the gullies along the spur and into the black berries and other bush. Along the spur the first sambar, two hinds and a calf could be seen bedded down under a low tree at about a hundred metres right on the end of the spur, the wind was right for us, but they had spotted us and off they went. Crossing the spur and following a downward gradient, later we were honked by another sambar. That makes four in close contact already.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: First Sambar! [Re: NitroX]
      #269733 - 29/08/15 02:38 AM

The next day we headed to a forest block Gryph had taken to me last time I had hunted with him. Some beautiful forest with this time a dry stream. Last time it was flowing strongly. Angling around the block and back across it cutting up and down the ridges running through the forest. This time it was quiet and no deer were spotted.

Last morning, we headed to the first place again but this time the plan was to be there earlier, heading straight to it and sit on a ridge and glass the slopes and valley below, hoping to spot deer returning to the thick bush at first light.

A stag was sighted but still in velvet, the stag moved to a tree and stood on its hind legs to rub at a branch overhead. A second stag also in velvet could be seen following the larger male a hundred and fifty metres back. Neither was a possibility at that range, and they would be in the thicker bush well before we could reach them, even if they did not see us approaching. Perhaps a hunt in that forest would yield results later on in the day.

A couple of hinds were feeding on another spur feeding into a patch of black berries.

Then a stag was spotted below us in the gully to our left, it was moving downhill and crossed into the bush well below us and we lost sight of it. But it looked like a good one and was in hard antler. Now was the time to move to close the distance and using the curve of the spur we were on we covered the distance.

Gryph motioned for me to move to the right and cover the gully to our right.

I spotted it. Was it the same stag? The first sighting he looked at bit bigger and it well could be a different deer as he hadn't been spotted crossing over to this point but he was still good enough and it probably was the same one. I signalled to Gryphon but he couldn't see me where I was due to the curve of the hill.

The stag was now moving up the gully to my right. A patch of black berries was in front of me and I moved lower to be able to get a shot when it moved further up the gully bottom. It was a gap of only a few metres when it would be visible. If it made it over that gap it could get swallowed up in some bush and be gone quite easily.

Gryphon had moved lower and had also seen the stag again but it was out of sight again. However it was still in the bottom of the gully further down, and JG motioned for me to come up further and around. A useful fallen branch could be used as a rest. The stag hadn't followed the gully bottom and now was moving straight up the side of the next spur away from us. I think Gryphon made a calf call and the stag stopped and I made a quick shot aimed behind the near shoulder which should angle forward through the stag's chest. The stag turned and ran down hill, but it was hit, but how well? I was reasonably sure of the shot but one never knows until the body is found.

Damn! No deer down anywhere in sight. This could be bad. Following the mental picture of the route the running stag had taken, a patch of black berries was in the way but no carcase could be spotted.

No stag could be seen in the patch of blackberries nor anything on the ground in sight!

BUT circling it, with some looking there he was. Down in the middle of the black berries. I was fairly sure he had run straight into the clump of black berries and if he had been hit well, that was where he should have been.

Some tugging resulted in some scratches but with some untangling of berry canes out he came. A nice stag and perfectly fine as a first sambar trophy. I'm not the sort to jump up and down with glee but was very happy.

Moved to a more open spot for some photos. And then off with his head and the shoulder caped out. I would carry that out on my day pack. The two rear legs were removed and hung to be collected later. A nice climb out up the hillside and back along to the vehicle. I was glad the stag was not taken kilometres out up and down in the bush. The next morning we returned for the two hind legs, a couple of pack frames, one each, proved much more manageable than the day pack.

A wonderful result. A representative sambar stag, and some good sambar venison for the table. The hind leg nicely filled the Engel fridge/freezer I had brought to hopefully have filled for the drive back home.

Many thanks to Gryphon for his hospitality and sharing his skills and experience in hunting the sambar. I think we had spotted eleven sambar in the three days of hunting, which is a pretty impressive number, but as always with hunting, we might not have spotted any. All in all a very enjoyable hunt with a good result and finish.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#269734 - 29/08/15 02:40 AM

Rifle was my Parker Hale 1200 M98 with a custom walnut stock, see an earlier thread. A 4x Schmidt & Bender scope. The rifle is a .30-06. The bullet was a 180 gr Nosler Partition Spitzer.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

MikeRowe
.333 member

Reged: 23/11/11
Loc: Arkansas, USA
      #269738 - 29/08/15 09:15 AM

Congratulations, John! It's always nice to have something new in the bag.

Iowa_303s
.400 member

Reged: 22/03/13
Loc: Iowa, USA
Re: First Sambar! [Re: MikeRowe]
      #269739 - 29/08/15 09:33 AM

Very nice John!
A good looking stag taken in beautiful country with a good friend.
You cannot ask for a better adventure.
Congradulations!

--------------------
Matt

formerly known as Iowa_303

"Once your reputation is ruined you can live your life quite freely."

"Enkelkinder über alles"

CHAPUISARMES
.416 member

Reged: 16/01/08
Loc: DUBBO, NSW, AUSTRALIA
Re: First Sambar! [Re: Iowa_303s]
      #269741 - 29/08/15 10:35 AM

Congratulations John and thanks for sharing your hunt and photos. It looks quiet ruggered but very beautiful country.... Well Done

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: First Sambar! [Re: CHAPUISARMES]
      #269747 - 29/08/15 12:29 PM

Most of the forest photos were taken on the second day. I did not even take a photo of the countryside on the first and third days when walking ridgelines or sitting on them. The camera was in my daypack at these times.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Cazadero
.375 member

Reged: 17/10/11
Loc: Texas
      #269748 - 29/08/15 12:30 PM

Quote:

I'm not the sort to jump up and down with glee but was very happy.

Who'da thunk it?

Congratulations.

Great report.

mchughcb
.333 member

Reged: 21/02/14
Loc: Victoria, Australia
Re: First Sambar! [Re: Cazadero]
      #269761 - 29/08/15 03:03 PM

Good work. That's why I take my dogs. If the deer is down they will find it fast. Wouldn't have been fun dragging the deer out of those blackberries but it was worth it in the end. They aren't a premium game animal for nothing!

Bidgee
.375 member

Reged: 08/04/15
Loc: Northern Rivers, NSW
Re: First Sambar! [Re: mchughcb]
      #269772 - 30/08/15 03:02 AM

Congratulations and very well done. A well earned trophy, a great hunt with fabulous memories.

And that's what it's all about!

PS. I am still digging blackberry thorns out of my lega after an encounter with some a week ago.

Sville
.400 member

Reged: 23/03/10
Loc: Sweden
Re: First Sambar! [Re: Bidgee]
      #269819 - 31/08/15 04:33 PM

Well done, a great report and photos. Congratulations to the trophy!!! /Staffan

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: First Sambar! [Re: Sville]
      #269820 - 31/08/15 05:34 PM

I am planning to make some recipe dishes specifically of Vietnamese, Cambodian, Thai and other SE Asians cuisine plus South Asian ie Indian and Sri Lankan cuisine from the sambar venison. From the regions where the sambar originated from.

Same with some water buffalo meat brought back from the Top End.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
Re: First Sambar! [Re: Sville]
      #269835 - 31/08/15 11:14 PM

Quote:

Well done, a great report and photos. Congratulations to the trophy!!! /Staffan

Agree--looks like a great time

Ripp

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

gundog
.275 member

Reged: 16/10/10
Re: First Sambar! [Re: Ripp]
      #272677 - 05/11/15 07:52 PM

Well done. I hear you didn't like his coffee cup though!!

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: First Sambar! [Re: gundog]
      #272683 - 05/11/15 08:33 PM

Quote:

True.

JG saw I had a coffee/cafe maker (steam kettle) in my Landcruiser so asked to have some. He didn't like my coffee either.

It was aweful though, as I seeming had grabbed a coffee pack which was passed it. Since have bought some new packs.

I had brought camping gear with, just in case I camped somewhere, but JG's hospitality meant it wasn't needed.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Rell
.375 member

Reged: 03/12/04
Loc: Oyster Bay, NY, USA
      #272694 - 05/11/15 11:38 PM

Every time I see pictures of your country it looks completely different. Swamps, dry bush, these forest blocks, desert scrub. I can't get over the diversity.

Congrats on a great trip..

--------------------
450-400, 9.3x74r and 7x65r.

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: First Sambar! [Re: Rell]
      #272708 - 06/11/15 03:13 AM

Well done, John - congratulations. Nice stag. Good story, by the way. Really liked the pictures.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

93x64mm
.416 member

Reged: 07/12/11
Loc: Nth QLD Australia
Re: First Sambar! [Re: DarylS]
      #272724 - 06/11/15 07:11 AM

Good one mate!
Glad some of us are out & about, wish I was feeling better to do so.
A hard won prize but that's what makes it all that more special
Well done
93x64mm

gundog
.275 member

Reged: 16/10/10
      #272741 - 06/11/15 07:26 PM

Quote:

Quote:

True.

JG saw I had a coffee/cafe maker (steam kettle) in my Landcruiser so asked to have some. He didn't like my coffee either.

It was aweful though, as I seeming had grabbed a coffee pack which was passed it. Since have bought some new packs.

I had brought camping gear with, just in case I camped somewhere, but JG's hospitality meant it wasn't needed.

Hahaha, everyone gets that cup John!! I couldn't think of a worse place for a deer to pile up, than in the blackberries though, glad it wasn't me. I bet you were picking thorns out for a while!!

Snowman3
.224 member

Reged: 02/10/15
Loc: Perth, Western Australia
      #272755 - 06/11/15 11:41 PM

Congratulations John! What a magnificent hunt, amazing terrain and a successful hunt too. I'm looking forward to seeing the Asian recipes. I was in a Pakistani restaurant in London once and saw 'sambar' on the menu knowing that the deer is native to the sub-continent... my sudden excitement was dampened by my Indian friend who explained that 'sambar' is also a lentil-based broth. For a moment I thought I stumbled on a rare gem of a game dish there!

Once again a fantastic story... you never forget your first!

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#272771 - 07/11/15 01:57 AM

Quote:

Hahaha, everyone gets that cup John!! I couldn't think of a worse place for a deer to pile up, than in the blackberries though, glad it wasn't me. I bet you were picking thorns out for a while!!

Actually wasn't as bad as I thought. I pulled the stag oot down hill so its weight came in handy. Also cut off some of the blackberry canes off first. And untwisted others. I guessed then a good hard tug and pull would get him sliding out. And it did. Must be the experience of pruning too many ffffing grapevines ...

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: First Sambar! [Re: Rell]
      #296565 - 08/03/17 05:58 PM

Quote:

Every time I see pictures of your country it looks completely different. Swamps, dry bush, these forest blocks, desert scrub. I can't get over the diversity.

Congrats on a great trip..

Australia is a continent and so has virtually all forms of landscape except for polar.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Homer
.416 member

Reged: 07/04/09
Loc: Canberra, Australia
      #296959 - 13/03/17 10:05 AM

G'Day Fella's,

Good to finally read all the gory details John, and well done to you and Gryphon!

Regards
Homer

--------------------
"Beware the Lolly Pop of Mediocrity,
Lick it Once and You Will Suck Forever"

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: First Sambar! [Re: Homer]
      #374576 - 27/02/23 08:44 PM

Bttt gryphon are you still lurking? Swear at me.

PS again thanks for the help on this hunt. Hopefully you are still alive.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 10 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 7410

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com