Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Kimber Sub-alpine ---elk rifle

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Rifles

Pages: 1
Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
Kimber Sub-alpine ---elk rifle
      #296681 - 10/03/17 03:19 AM

At under 5lbs I am guessing you will know when you pull the trigger should you opt for the 300W mag version...

http://www.kimberamerica.com/subalpine

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
gryphon
.450 member

Reged: 01/01/03
Loc: Sambar ground/Victoria/Austral...
Re: Kimber Sub-alpine ---elk rifle [Re: Ripp]
      #296697 - 10/03/17 06:23 AM

Yep someone will buy one then go and install a pound of merc in the butt ha ha.

I cant understand this obsessiveness re rifle weight.

If you cant hump an 8- 10lb rifle/ammo/scope/mounts/sling all day long well take up fishing from a chair.

And Ripp I agree re the .300WM line I have light and 'heavy' 300`s and the 'heavy' are far more pleasant to shoot.
That sub apline toothpick would certainly jump off the bench ha ha.

--------------------
Get off the chair away from the desk and get out in the bush and enjoy life.

Claydog
.375 member

Reged: 17/08/12
Loc: Katherine, Northern Territory ...
Re: Kimber Sub-alpine ---elk rifle [Re: gryphon]
      #296705 - 10/03/17 08:59 AM

I am looking seriously at them. One in .308 would suit me just fine. These days I walk way more than I shoot and I like to have a rifle strapped on the pack when I bow hunt solo cause you never know.

Rule303
.416 member

Reged: 05/07/09
Loc: Woodford Qld
      #296707 - 10/03/17 09:03 AM

My pick would be the 280AI and at that weight I would think it should be called an Alpine Rifle not Sub Alpine.

I think the 300WSM might jump just as much as the 300WM. Nice rifle though.

Ripp
.577 member

Re: Kimber Sub-alpine ---elk rifle [Re: Rule303]
      #296710 - 10/03/17 12:05 PM

I have a Lex Webernick in 280AI--have used in on most of my hunts above 10,000 feet. Its a great shooting little rifle and find it about perfect for any shot out to and around 500-600..yards..all in with Zeiss scope just a bit over 6lbs...

As to weight in relation to the hunt, I feel it makes a huge difference at the end of a week of packing that thing up steep mountain sides at 11-14 or 15,000 ft.

Could I do it with a 8lb rifle..yes..but why would I want to if I can do the same thing with a 5-6 lb rifle?? That little rifle mentioned above shoots sub-MOA with Nosler factory loads..don't need anything more than that..ounces make pounds and pounds make for a tired hunter..I do watch the weight..

Ripp

--------------------

Rule303
.416 member

Reged: 05/07/09
Loc: Woodford Qld
      #296728 - 10/03/17 07:30 PM

Quote:

I have a Lex Webernick in 280AI--have used in on most of my hunts above 10,000 feet. Its a great shooting little rifle and find it about perfect for any shot out to and around 500-600..yards..all in with Zeiss scope just a bit over 6lbs...

As to weight in relation to the hunt, I feel it makes a huge difference at the end of a week of packing that thing up steep mountain sides at 11-14 or 15,000 ft.

Could I do it with a 8lb rifle..yes..but why would I want to if I can do the same thing with a 5-6 lb rifle?? That little rifle mentioned above shoots sub-MOA with Nosler factory loads..don't need anything more than that..ounces make pounds and pounds make for a tired hunter..I do watch the weight..

Ripp

very true Ripp.

I remember reading about the diggers fighting on the Kokoda Track in WW2. This track is mountainous, and steep, well for us Aussie's it is. They were cutting their toothbrush handles in half among other drastic measures to save weight.

Homer
.416 member

Reged: 07/04/09
Loc: Canberra, Australia
Re: Kimber Sub-alpine ---elk rifle [Re: Rule303]
      #296956 - 13/03/17 09:50 AM

Quote:

Ripp

+1

Homer

--------------------
"Beware the Lolly Pop of Mediocrity,
Lick it Once and You Will Suck Forever"

Homer
.416 member

Re: Kimber Sub-alpine ---elk rifle [Re: Homer]
      #297146 - 16/03/17 08:43 AM

FYI Homer.
https://huntforever.org/2017/03/10/weighty-questions/

--------------------

Ripp
.577 member

#297196 - 17/03/17 01:04 AM

I have always enjoyed reading the authors articles however in this one I disagree with much of what he said. He contradicts himself throughout the article..

In the beginning Mr. Sundra is talking about the difference in shooting paper versus animals and how different the two are..yet later in the article he uses that exact same comparison when trying to make the case for a heavier rifle stating you never see a lightweight rifle in bench rest shooting competition .No shit Sherlock...

While I agree lightweight rifles are a bit more finicky to shoot, all you have to do is what you should be doing anyway, spend a little time at the range shooting your rifle..Learning the characteristics of that rifle and its trigger ..in time and with a good rifle you will be able to shoot more than what is necessary to hit your targets at the 4, 5 and 600 yard mark..

As to the argument of lighter rifle and faster and faster magnums, again I disagree..mine is a 280AI, recoil is very similar to a 270 Winchester which is nil in recoil..when you look at some of the factory lightweights, Kimber for an example..one of their most popular sellers is in fact the 280AI ..in visiting with my friend who owns a gun shop and literally sells thousands of firearms per year, most of what they sell in the true lightweights are 260 Rem, 270 Winchester, 7-08, 280 Rem, 280AI, and 308.

Last year I built a complete custom using a Pierce action, Proof barrel, Jewel trigger, Manners lightweight stock..all in its 6 lbs, 4 oz...in 28 Nosler..a horrible magnum.. it is topped off with a Swarovski Z5 --NO muzzle break as I hate them..have no problem shooting 1/2 to 1" groups all day long with it..same can be said for my Lex Webernick in 280AI..in fact with that one it will normally shoot 3 holes touching at 100 with Nosler factory ammo..

With all the info in the above article, my feeling is Mr. Sundra needs to spend a little more time at the range with his lightweight rifle..he too will learn it is not that difficult to be accurate with them..

Ripp

--------------------

Edited by Ripp (17/03/17 03:51 PM)

Homer
.416 member

#297232 - 17/03/17 12:06 PM

G'Day Fella's,

Ripp, I posted that Jon Sundra link, only as another opinion, and some info on this subject.
I agree with you, it wasn't the best article I've ever read either but...

FYI, I'm presently looking at getting a couple of www.lonepeakarms.com Ti actions (via their Australian agent), to put together some more Light Rifles (like em on Face Book, and get their news updates).
They have only recently modified their Fusion Ti action, by removing the center section of the integral Pic rail.
I'm in a real quandary about chamberings...
I really want a 6.5 Rem Mag (I already have a 1 in 8", 6.5, carbon wrapped barrel) but getting ammo and even cases is proving to be an issue. Not to mention traveling OS with it, to some far flung destinations, only to find your bag with the ammo in it, didn't arrive.
So the short action rifle, may end up as a .270 WSM .......................?

Doh!
Homer

--------------------

Ripp
.577 member

#297238 - 17/03/17 03:22 PM

Quote:

G'Day Fella's,

Ripp, I posted that Jon Sundra link, only as another opinion, and some info on this subject.
I agree with you, it wasn't the best article I've ever read either but...

FYI, I'm presently looking at getting a couple of www.lonepeakarms.com Ti actions (via their Australian agent), to put together some more Light Rifles (like em on Face Book, and get their news updates).
They have only recently modified their Fusion Ti action, by removing the center section of the integral Pic rail.
I'm in a real quandary about chamberings...
I really want a 6.5 Rem Mag (I already have a 1 in 8", 6.5, carbon wrapped barrel) but getting ammo and even cases is proving to be an issue. Not to mention traveling OS with it, to far flung destinations, only to find your bag with the ammo in it, didn't arrive.
So the short action rifle, may end up as a .270 WSM .......................?

Doh!
Homer

I agree 100% with your concern..as it happened to me only a couple months ago..got to the destination..none of the ammo I brought showed up for the entire hunt..

Having said that, I really like the 6.5 calibers..believe they offer a bit of a ballistic edge over the 25 and 27 calibers...however unless the shots are really long not so sure you or the game will notice the difference..

An issue I have with the article by Sundra, is the same issue I have when a new caliber comes out and a certain group complain about it before they have shot it, used it in any way and basically just want to complain to hear themselves complain. Hey, its a free world..if you want to stick to your '06 or 308 Winchester go ahead..but let others do and use what they want.. to me that was partially what that article represented..maybe I am just tired or just tired of reading BS..

I will check out that site..thank you..

Last weekend while at the local gun show I ran into a really nice guy who is a custom gunsmith up in Helena, Montana..I plan to give him a little visit in about a week to 10 days while on the road for my business..looked at some of his work, which also was lightweight type rifles he had built for himself, his wife and his daughter..was nice work..he also had some really nice wood stocks laying there he had built..really good quality work..plan to take my Model 70 Winchester to him..it has a factory stock that I truly do not like..going to have him either reshape it some if possible or build an entirely new one..

Take care

Ripp

Accidently edited by me, managed to recover and restore the original post. NitroX

Edited by NitroX (18/03/17 09:23 PM)

Homer
.416 member

#297272 - 18/03/17 08:37 AM

G'Day Fella's,

Yes Ripp, I totally agree.
There is no shortage of biased journalism but then, I worked out a long time ago, that most of what is written, is nothing more the "Comment for Cash".
Also
The animals will never know the difference (including using a rough old WWII SMLE/Springfield/Mauser or a $10K Blaser) but then, I know what I like, and what I like to use and so...
The 6.5's really have been a serious sleeper in many places, outside of Scandinavia/Europe. Maybe we are just slow on the uptake or already well serviced by other great bore Diameters but that now, has finally changed.
I just want a powerful short action 6.5 calibre, who's ammo is commonly available (6.5-284? I already have 300 Lapua cases). Hence my desire for a 6.5 Rem Mag but.................

Ripp, I had a play with one of the Lone Peak Ti Razor actions earlier this year.
They are exceedingly well designed and made, and with an integral recoil lug, they tick all the boxes.
They even come with a house brick tied to them, to stop them blowing a way in the wind (LOL)!

Good luck with your Helena, MT Gunsmith, I hope he is able to help you out.
Let us all know, how you/he goes.

Avagreatweekendeh!
Homer

--------------------

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
      #297304 - 18/03/17 09:25 PM

Quote:

... and a certain group complain about it before they have shot it, used it in any way and basically just want to complain to hear themselves complain.

Pretty much similar behaviour on forums too at times ...

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Ripp
.577 member

Re: Kimber Sub-alpine ---elk rifle [Re: NitroX]
      #297316 - 19/03/17 12:17 AM

Quote:

Quote:

... and a certain group complain about it before they have shot it, used it in any way and basically just want to complain to hear themselves complain.

Yeah--they look for fault like there was a reward for it..

Ripp

--------------------

Homer
.416 member

#297337 - 19/03/17 09:13 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Yeah--they look for fault like there was a reward for it..

Ripp

Yes Fella's, I refer to them as Lemon Suckers (without the Tequila and Salt), as they have a permanent frown on their face.
The world has to many people that because of their upbringing, the company they keep, their circumstances, etc, feel compelled to bad mouth what ever is topical, etc....

Phuck Em I say, thats their problem, please don't make it mine!

Doh!
Homer

--------------------

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 27 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 4183

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com