Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: New member

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Lee Speed Forum & Archive

Pages: 1
Strathcona
.224 member

Reged: 02/03/17
Loc: Alberta, Canada
      #296139 - 03/03/17 10:15 AM

Hi guys

New to the forum. I am in Canada and was on HM Service for the last 27 years - now out to pasture!

I have been fond of these rifles for some time and was fortunate enough to come across this BSA commercial rifle the other week for a price that I could not say no to!

From what I can tell, the rifle was likely made in the early 1930's and is a 4C "Bush" pattern based on the barrel length.

I am currently working on re-setting the horn cap as it had clearly shrunk a bit over the years and while not cracked, was no longer sitting proper.

The butt toe was repaired at some point in this old girls history however I do not mind it as it seems to speak to the rifle's history. The receiver was also D&T for a scope mount at some point as well. I will try and find a scope mount for it but quite enjoy iron sights. Lastly, I am missing the front hood.

On the up shot, the barrel/receiver/bolt match and I believe the mag is also an original 10 round mag based on the #4 which is stamped on it twice (no military markings). The bore shows wear but not excessive as my Sierra 180gr spitzers seem to hang at the ogive when placed tip first into the muzzle.

I will be speaking with a stock reproducer this weekend and will see what the price would be to duplicate the stocks/fore end just in case!

For those that are interested, I have PDF copies of the 1909, 1912/14, and the 1930s catalogue. Not sure if there is a place to post these.

[img]http://i.imgur.com/eIAkBxW.jpg?1[/img]
[img]http://i.imgur.com/fq0CoEn.jpg?3[/img]

Regards, Colin

Edited by Strathcona (03/03/17 11:10 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
leeenfield
.275 member

Reged: 07/12/11
Loc: Canada
Re: New member [Re: Strathcona]
      #296142 - 03/03/17 11:28 AM

Hi and welcome. I am also in Canada and have a 4C Bush Pattern. Check back a couple of years in the archives of this forum to see some pictures. Look for the thread "No4C Bush Pattern"

Strathcona
.224 member

Re: New member [Re: leeenfield]
      #296143 - 03/03/17 11:37 AM

Will do. Where abouts are you located?

I tried to link some pics up but they don't seem to work. I have posted pics on other forums so not sure what the issue is!

Edit - I looked at your thread and yes, from what I can tell my rifle is the exact same as yours less the 5 vs 10 round mag - and yours being in much nicer shape!

We should compare serial numbers and see if they are close.

Edited by Strathcona (03/03/17 11:50 AM)

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
      #296145 - 03/03/17 12:27 PM

Welcome, Colin.
Strathcona - your moniker has history.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

Strathcona
.224 member

Re: New member [Re: DarylS]
      #296148 - 03/03/17 12:36 PM

Quote:

Welcome, Colin.
Strathcona - your moniker has history.

It was my old unit back in the day!

Roy
.300 member

Reged: 06/09/15
Loc: New Mexico
      #296207 - 04/03/17 07:01 AM

Hello Colin,

A heartfelt 'welcome' to the forum.

We are a small group here but all very passionate about these lovely rifles but be warned they can get a little ... addictive..!

I'm working on a project to share my few, so you can see my progress on this link:

http://wilkinsonfscollection.com/wilkinsonfscollection.com/The_Lee-Speed_Rifle.html

One last thing Colin - thank You for your service and enjoy your retirement. After 27 years I think you have earned it.

Cheerio,

Roy

--------------------
My Website: www.wilkinsonfscollection.com

http://wilkinsonfscollection.com/wilkinsonfscollection.com/The_Lee-Speed_Rifle.html

leeenfield
.275 member

Reged: 07/12/11
Loc: Canada
      #296275 - 05/03/17 12:02 AM

If you check the posts in this forum for January, you will find reference to a book that is being prepared on Lee Speeds. If you are interested, make contact and share the details of your No4C. I know that the author is anxious to get as much info as he can on this model. Best regards.

Pages: 1

Extra information
1 registered and 14 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2121

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com