Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Ballard rifles

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Single Shots & Combination Guns

Pages: 1
blackbahart
.224 member

Reged: 29/10/15
Loc: British Columbia Canada
Ballard rifles
      #296060 - 01/03/17 08:47 PM

Aquired a couple of Marlin made ballards .The scoped one is a target /varmit rifle made in the 50s or 60s in 219mashburn improved with a really interesting breech block and a steel receiver
The other is a cast receiver that has been relined to 22lr by parker hale .They both are fun to use but quite heavy
[image]http://[/image]

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: Ballard rifles [Re: blackbahart]
      #296068 - 02/03/17 04:04 AM

Nice - Ballards were chambered right up to the 3 1/4" Winchester .45 case.(same as the .450 BPE, I think)
1ST time I've seen the more modern action, appears to be a large 'rolling' block with the hammer running in a slot.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

blackbahart
.224 member

Reged: 29/10/15
Loc: British Columbia Canada
Re: Ballard rifles [Re: DarylS]
      #296073 - 02/03/17 04:56 AM

Hi ,It is not a modern action.It is a forged action 2 line address ballard made by marlin in the mid 1891 a #5 action .The consensuis on the block is that the ears that are on each side of the hammer are for strenghtening the breech block for the improved 219 zipper chambering.

The 219 zipper mash imp is a dead ringer for the 225win which came out in 1964 with a smaller rim to fit into the standaerd bolt face ,hence we concluded it was made pre 64ish in the era of the rifle builders would use the old black powder rifle to make single shot target /varmit rifles for bench use

I tried to figure out who built it as the breech block is a full out custom and the but stock fits over the action to make use of the pistol grip.The smith/stock maker did not leave any signature of who they were .

And the one line to 22lr is an earlier #2 cast action that was originally a 38 rf that is considerably a WEAK action and would possibly granade using higher pressure

If anybody reconizes who the work can be attributed to ,I would welcome any info

tks Peter

Edited by blackbahart (03/03/17 06:14 AM)

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 24 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Huvius 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2308

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com