Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Pederasoli .58 Kodiak

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Muzzleloaders & Blackpowder

Pages: 1
Longknife
.333 member

Reged: 17/04/08
Loc: Illinois
Pederasoli .58 Kodiak
      #295586 - 21/02/17 03:37 AM

Pedersoli lists their current production SXS .58 Kodiak in a 48 inch twist. Did they ever make it in a slower twist?

--------------------
Longknife

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
DarylSModerator
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: Pederasoli .58 Kodiak [Re: Longknife]
      #295591 - 21/02/17 06:10 AM

Seems to me that my .58 Kodiak was 48" twist, and with about .008" rifling.

With 110gr. of 2f GOEX, mine shot parallel at 50 yards, using .574" RB and .0215" ticking patch.

With 100gr. 2F, it shot into the same group, so were slightly crossing. Below this, they crossed badly and above 110gr. they the crossed again.

The barrel needed re-crowning as received, the crowns were too sharp for patched round ball loading.

I worked on loads for mine until I found a couple (100gr. and 110gr.) that shot close enough to use on set of sights only.

I never tried slugs (Lee R.E.A.L. and Lyman HB Minnies), however know a couple guys who tried them, never getting any slugs within 12" of one another at 50yards.

I would be concerned about slugs moving under recoil of the first barrel, then the one that moved forward becoming a bore obstruction when fired. The REAL bullet might engrave hard enough to stay put, for one shot at least.

I used patched round balls only.

I think it would have been fun to play with the 12 bore SXS- maybe 10 years ago. Even my little 14 bore is too 'wearing' to plink with, any more.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

Longknife
.333 member

Reged: 17/04/08
Loc: Illinois
Re: Pederasoli .58 Kodiak [Re: DarylS]
      #295689 - 23/02/17 02:26 AM

Thanks, I have been looking for one of these and would have preferred a slower twist but if that's the only twist they were made in then I guess it will have to do. I only plan to shoot round balls Looks like you got good accuracy with yours. I would like Pedersoli .72 Express also if I can find one at a decent price...

--------------------
Longknife

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
      #295691 - 23/02/17 02:49 AM

Quote:

Seems to me that my .58 Kodiak was 48" twist, and with about .008" rifling.

With 110gr. of 2f GOEX, mine shot parallel at 50 yards, using .574" RB and .0215" ticking patch.

With 100gr. 2F, it shot into the same group, so were slightly crossing. Below this, they crossed badly and above 110gr. they the crossed again.

The barrel needed re-crowning as received, the crowns were too sharp for patched round ball loading.

I worked on loads for mine until I found a couple (100gr. and 110gr.) that shot close enough to use on set of sights only.

I never tried slugs (Lee R.E.A.L. and Lyman HB Minnies), however know a couple guys who tried them, never getting any slugs within 12" of one another at 50yards.

I would be concerned about slugs moving under recoil of the first barrel, then the one that moved forward becoming a bore obstruction when fired. The REAL bullet might engrave hard enough to stay put, for one shot at least.

I used patched round balls only.

I think it would have been fun to play with the 12 bore SXS- maybe 10 years ago. Even my little 14 bore is too 'wearing' to plink with, any more.

Some good and useful info there. I have only used purchased "slugs" for mine. The results were not encouraging. I think using 108 grs 2F. Good enough to hit a 12 inch circle at 50 yards. Completely missed a fallow deer with it one time. But had my .308 on my shoulder for when it ran away. Use of round ball was indicated to me as a better choice.

Daryl, what sort of lead mix do you use, pure lead or a mix? I have a quantity of wheel weights, which also have altimony in them. Any good or use pure lead?

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

DarylSModerator
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: Pederasoli .58 Kodiak [Re: NitroX]
      #295693 - 23/02/17 04:29 AM

Use pure lead - or if using a .562" ball, a harder alloy could be used for deeper penetration, which is not needed up to moose or elk.

I use pure lead - as pure as I can get it.

X-ray room lead sheeting from the walls is a good source. The softer the lead, the larger the ball and better the potential accuracy you will get.

WW is too hard unless you reduce the diameter considerably. as the harder the lead, the harder it is to deform it to fit into the rifling with that patch. Loading becomes very difficult and you will also cut the patch. With dead soft lead, the ball and patch will conform into the lands and grooves, giving a perfect fit, excellent accuracy and clean shooting.

Use pure Neetsfoot Oil, or "Tracks" Mink Oil for lube for hunting. Smokeless powder lubes (mostly petrolium derivitives} do not work well with black powder fouling. The Mink Oil from www.trackofthewolf.com and Pure NeetsFoot Oil work very well.

I get my Neetsfoot Oil from the local hardware store in their "Tack" section for leather work.

Don't use Neetsfoot Oil Compound - that is a synthetic and does not work well with BP fouling.

A lube must be used that does not dry out while it is loaded in your gun, it must not 'foul' your powder and it must prevent the rusting that will happen in the breech if you use a water based lube.

In my .14 bore (.69cal.)rifle, I use mostly pure, dead soft lead with balls from my .682" mould for hunting. When shooting hardened lead, ie: 50:50 WW/Pure, or straight WW alloy, I use a 15 bore ball that measures .675". I still use the same patch, 12 ounce denim, which I meaure at .026" with mu mic, and .030" with the dial calipers, squeezing the tines as hard as i can between forefinger and thumb.

It is said (mostly by me-LOL) that you are never finished experimenting with muzzleloading rifle load combinations.
We've found that the larger calibres, above .54 that paper ctgs. can work very well indeed, for hunting generally, or for us, hunting in freezing weather where a good patch lube is difficult to find (stay soft and still work)

Here are some paper ctgs. I made and used in a replica Brown Bess. The same plug was used for my .69's paper ctgs. I made the plug tapered, as it is more easily handled, no wasted powder and easily fit in the muzzle due to the taper. I carried 1/2 dozen of these in my pocket all one fall's hunting season and they worked perfectly and stood up to the abuse.

2 wraps of about 20 pound paper. .682" ball, thus 2 wraps around the 'plug' - I used a glue stick for the wrap. Fold the bottom over. Pour in the powder, drop a ball on top and fold the paper over the ball and tie or glue. I used ordinary white paper glue.

To load, grab a paper ctg. from the pocket by the ball (heavy) end, tear the end off with your teeth, stick the torn end into the muzzle. By the time you have the loading rod out, the powder will have drained out of the ctg. Choke up on the rod (about an inch sticking out below your fist and shove the paper ctg. into the muzzle.

THIS is important- the paper ctg. must engrave slightly on the rifling all the way around - not an easy push as with grossly undersized paper ctgs. issued by the militaries of the world in the 19th century.

Once it is started, push it down in about 8" pushes until it is down on the powder - hard, compressing the paper between the ball and powder. When you fire it, the paper will act as a wad and seal the powder gasses behind the ball.

4 of us using these paper ctgs. have achieved the same accuracy as with cloth patched round balls. My .69 (14bore) can fire up to 10 accurate rounds with these- no lube is required. No fires either, due to the tight seal. If the powder gasses can blow past the paper, they will start it on fire!!!!!!!!!!!Caution.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

Sarg
.400 member

Reged: 20/01/07
Loc: Nil
      #295705 - 23/02/17 06:59 AM

Fantastic info Daryl, I hope I can get some parts to get my Double 12 bore Blanch rifle back together & shoot it some day .

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 9 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  DarylS 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2627

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com