Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Small Framed Martini Work - US

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Single Shots & Combination Guns

Pages: 1
Fallschirmjaeger
.224 member

Reged: 02/02/16
Loc: PA, USA
Small Framed Martini Work - US
      #295463 - 18/02/17 09:45 AM

I just gave Vic Samuels a call using the number on his website but it had a message that said he was not accepting calls. Does anyone have another Martini guy? I have a model 12 that I would like to have the firing pin bushed and converted to centerfire. I'll also need two octagon barrels fitted, chambered and an extractor made (the pre-existing one would need fitted for the one cartridge, but I'd need another one made for the other caliber). I'm HOPING to be able to make a "switch barrel" given the take down function of the action I have. I've read of some smiths welding closed the firing pin hole and drilling a new hole in the appropriate location for centerfire. I'm not sure if this would require re-heat treating the breech block or not. If anyone has any smith suggestions for someone who knows their way around a small framed Martini action, or have opinions on the firing pin relocation technique, I'd love to hear them. Thanks for the help...

Jaeger

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
DoubleD
.400 member

Reged: 23/11/03
Loc: Retired in Oklahoma
Re: Small Framed Martini Work - US [Re: Fallschirmjaeger]
      #295471 - 18/02/17 01:04 PM

Contact John Taylor Taylor Machine Works http://www.johntaylormachine.com/.

I had thought Vic had closed up shop.

Tell John what you want done. He will do it.

There is the American school method of welding up the striker hole and making it offset.

Or the way BSA and the way in the British Army Martini Armorers manual of lengthening or shorting the ears of the lever to move striker hit up or down.

You are better off telling John what your want done and getting out of the way..

As far as switch barreling a Martini Unless your two cartridges are similar you need to have two different trigger groups set up with different extractors and adjusted for the different load heights-load position of the breech blocks.

--------------------
DD, Ret.

Fallschirmjaeger
.224 member

Reged: 02/02/16
Loc: PA, USA
Re: Small Framed Martini Work - US [Re: DoubleD]
      #295478 - 18/02/17 09:42 PM

Thank you D... The cartridges I'm interested in would be .22 K-hornet and .357 Magnum. I thought with the vaguely similar lengths, I could possibly get away with just changing the barrel and the extractor (due to the difference in diameter of the case and rim). I've never dealt with Mr. Taylor, but I have heard good things about him. What are your personal thoughts on the difference between the conversion techniques?

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: Small Framed Martini Work - US [Re: Fallschirmjaeger]
      #295490 - 19/02/17 05:50 AM

The small Martinis, I've heard, can handle a .222 Rimmed just fine and that the .222x50 is about max length.

They make terrific "K" Hornets or .17AH's.

.357 mag? Yeah - that would be all right as well.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

DoubleD
.400 member

Reged: 23/11/03
Loc: Retired in Oklahoma
Re: Small Framed Martini Work - US [Re: DarylS]
      #295493 - 19/02/17 06:59 AM

The Model 12 is a poor choice for a take down-switch barrel, it always suffered from that feature. The barrel take down feature on the Model 12 is to take the barrel out for cleaning purposes.

The barrel is just threaded in and held in place with a tapered cross pin. Getting that cross pin to stay tight in a.22 has always been difficult. I can't see it staying tight in a .357.

The better action to use for a switch barrel would be the Westley Richards Sherwood small martini with the bayonet or twist lock barrel. Much stronger lock up. The down side is duplicating the barrel lock. You would need to find an orphan barrel for the second barrel.

I have a WR in 219 Donaldson Wasp. If I could find an orphan barrel I would build it into a 7-30 Waters.

The .22 Hornet and .357 Magnum are not cross compatible in the Martini. You would need two trigger groups separately adjusted for each size cartridge.

My switch barrel Model 12 is a 17 HM 2 and a .22 LR. I do not think the .22 Barrel has been on the gun since just after I built the gun.

Using the .22 Hornet series, go to 17 Hornady Hornet for 2nd switch barrel.

With .357 Mag go to .256 Winchester.

The other issue to address with a Martini switch barrel is sighting. The system works just fine with iron sights.

Scope mounting on a Martini switch barrel requires the scope mount to beva type that clears the action and fore stock. Even with that issue addressed the scope still has to be removed to take of the barrel unless the forestock is also removed.

Nothing insurmountable, just thing you need to know before you proceed.

--------------------
DD, Ret.

Edited by DoubleD (19/02/17 10:16 AM)

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 44 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Huvius 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2704

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com